Balasore Train Accident Jun 2023

jai jaganath

Country flag
I think we need to put it in perspective for the much younger members. Back in 90s and even early 00's, every week you'd see a couple or more train accidents. I still remember the Mughalsarai train accident on tv, newspapers vividly from my childhood.

We are much better off now, yes we will have disasters when we run such a huge train network. It is very tragic what happened, but remember we are here after a looong struggle with even worse situations.
Yes that's what my father says the amount of train accidents happened were difficult to even keep the numbers but even then people traveled
Even during UPA these accidents happened but even then govt tried to rectify and reduce the accidents
Now accidents are very less so people are more sensitive
I understand such disasters have huge impact on families but still for this blaming vaishnav will not solve it
The problem lies in the system were babuz have their inefficiency as companion
So removing him and ignoring his works in this department will not do justice to anyone

Last edited:

Blackmamba

Country flag
Nothing's gonna change until IR's privatized. How many lives will be lost before that happens? I'm amazed people expect anything but incompetence from an organisation that seemingly doesn't give two hoots about the daily deaths happening on Mumbai locals.

Leftist vultures who see every tragedy as an opportunity are always the first to oppose privatization when that's on the table. It was because of their nonsense that we lost a good RM in Suresh Prabhu. Shouldn't be happenning again with Ashwini Vaishnaw.
Private US train system 1000 train derail every year.

iNorthernerOn9

Country flag
Koi agree karo ya na karo... this is open & shut conspiracy.

3 trains on 3 tracks & this happens...

Seems the limelight being gained by PM through VB express was causing severe ache in someone's testicles.

Today also there was an inauguration of another VB in Goa which has been postponed

Porkislayer

Country flag
Can't ignore this angle as well.

Google translate:
230 people have died in the Coromandel Express railway accident. In such a situation, I remember the time of Suresh Prabhu, in whose tenure of three years, 207 trains derailed and 249 people died.

Suresh Prabhu wanted to modernize the railways which was not liked by the railway contractors. They were removed and as soon as they were removed all the accidents became zero. Piyush Goyal stayed for some time and then the new minister is Ashwini Vaishnav who is again emphasizing on modernisation.

This lobby and gang of bureaucrats is so elaborate and effective that if they wish, there would be an accident every day. I see a crisis on their earnings due to the process of Vande Bharat, electrification, open tender etc. Therefore, this view should also not be denied that it is the work of those people.

Jimih

Country flag
I think we need to put it in perspective for the much younger members. Back in 90s and even early 00's, every week you'd see a couple or more train accidents.
You are taking about accidents??

There used to be frucking bombing of Trains in those days.

I still remember as a kid when my family was posted in Assam witnessed coaches of a derailed train caused by a Bomb blast, at a station near Guwahati.

Those scenes still gives me shivers.

And at the early 2000s and mid 2000s bombing of trains were happening at regular intervals.

sauntheninja

Country flag
*No one from reserved coaches of Bengaluru-Howrah Express train injured or dead few in GS coach wounded.
Railway officials here on Saturday said as per the latest information available, no one from the reserved coaches got injured or died, while few passengers from the General Seating (GS) coach had some injuries.

994 reserved and around 300 unreserved passengers are estimated to have boarded the Bengaluru-Howrah Superfast Express from Sir M Visvesvaraya Terminal (SMVB) in the city.

2 GS coaches and Brake Van of the express train that left from SMVB derailed, they said, "As they were unreserved coaches, it will take some time to ascertain identity of passengers. In reserved coaches, details of passengers including contact number are available in the database as they are registered during reservation of ticket."

Upon receipt of more updates, more details would be shared with the public, they added. According to an update available from Balasore, officials said the unaffected portion of the train with passengers has left towards Howrah.
After detaching the damaged coach from the rake at Balasore, the remaining 19 coaches with passengers onboard left #Balasore at 05.08 am and continued its onward journey towards Howrah, the express train's destination, with speed restriction of 40 kmph, the update further said.

Travelled the Goa-Mumbai route last December and seeing how slow trains become. Is there any viable alternative to simply adding trains. Seems to be that the tracks can only handle so much.

another_armchair

Country flag

I still remember as a kid when my family was posted in Assam witnessed coaches of a derailed train caused by a Bomb blast, at a station near Guwahati.

And at the early 2000s and mid 2000s bombing of trains were happening at regular intervals.
Passenger trains weren't allowed to enter Assam after 4 pm. All trains were halted at obscure stations at the border.

It used to be fun though going out in some remote area and people looking you up and down wondering what are these jokers up to. Drinking chai and eating samosa .. chit chatting with folks.. wo sab ka alag romance hai.

IA used to patrol entire sections of railway tracks. Imagine the headache. Plus random checking at train stations, origin and destination.

When I moved to Chennai, one of Dad's chaps had just returned from Delhi and had to accompany me a couple of times. Used to tell me to wait on the local train platform, get into the compartment.. check things and then allow me inside.

Bhaiyya.. koi bharosa nahi.. bomb ho sakta hai. I was like kitne bags check karoge. Jana hoga toh bathroom mein slip hokar bhi chala jayega.

IndianSpiderman

Country flag
Private US train system 1000 train derail every year.
Why just cherrypick USA? For every USA there are a dozen examples of pvt railways being run efficiently. The best railways in the world are all privately run (Western Europe and Japan). What IR needs is drastic restructuring, not possible under the current management. Heck, they were the cause for the two year delay between the rollout of Vande Bharat 1 and VB 2.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Why just cherrypick USA. For every USA there are a dozen examples of pvt railways being run efficiently. The best railways in the world are all privately run (Western Europe and Japan). What IR needs is drastic restructuring, not possible under the current management. Heck, they were the cause for the two year delay between the rollout of Vande Bharat 1 and VB 2.
Japan ones are not private I think

IndianSpiderman

Country flag

NutCracker

Country flag
2 years ago when Piyush Goel was active on Quora,

Jimih

Country flag
Passenger trains weren't allowed to enter Assam after 4 pm. All trains were halted at obscure stations at the border.

IA used to patrol entire sections of railway tracks. Imagine the headache. Plus random checking at train stations, origin and destination.
Man in those days NFR (Northeast Fontier Railways) trains originating from Assam didn't pasted Passenger Reservation Lists on Trains and Platforms out of fear from Targeted killings of specific passengers.

And armed forces troops were transported in normal passenger trains during daytime only.

Kya kya din dekhne pade

Sanglamorre

Country flag

Yes, just yesterday I was recounting with my parents how frequent it was in Bengal-Bihar-Odisha-Jharkhand region to have maoists or Naxalites disengage the fishplates, or keep IED on tracks. Horrible, horrible times.

GigaChadBharatiya

Country flag
Naxali angle should be ruled out as of now.

This is the Naxal Penetration Map of Odhisa.

And where the trains derailed, it is not a Naxal affected area/district by any means.

View attachment 208641
But they can come out of their zone and do the ops. Its not like its a very resource intensive attack. Just need to loosen a few rail bars.
Many people benefit from this tragedy. And those people sadly are the ones who would go to any lengths to win battles.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles