Balasore Train Accident Jun 2023

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag
More than 150 pasengers will be filled up in a general coach. Lot of labours from east states like bengal, bihar, assam travel to south. They book tickets even in sleeper but still , due to demand seats are less.
Even daily passengers travel in general coaches.
Solution is to run more trains in these routes.

Yup this is the problem which needs to be addressed. The introduced the Antodaya express as a completely unreserved sleeper train which can be useful for Migrant workers. While the idea was good but soon it was converted into a general express type coach with reservation and other stuffs. They introduced in few routes which is Tambaram - Nagercoil. They converted into express.

These trains should be started for long distance like Chennai - Howrah, Bengaluru Howrah instead of this Railway board simply screwed up the entire idea.

Eagle Eye

Country flag
This makes the count 4 which looks fake.
First-Goods train, second-Coromandel & third-Superfast Express: Opindia

ps- 3rd train met accident after 5min first two collided, some say 25min later.

Last edited:

Coalmine

Country flag
Yup this is the problem which needs to be addressed. The introduced the Antodaya express as a completely unreserved sleeper train which can be useful for Migrant workers. While the idea was good but soon it was converted into a general express type coach with reservation and other stuffs. They introduced in few routes which is Tambaram - Nagercoil. They converted into express.

These trains should be started for long distance like Chennai - Howrah, Bengaluru Howrah instead of this Railway board simply screwed up the entire idea.
Chennai to howrah should be entirely 3-4 laned. Besides railway staff is overworked. Especially train drivers should be working fresh with proper sleep .

Last edited:

skunk works

Country flag
At this point of time , this isn't needed. Besides your information is totally wrong. What monthly crashes are you talking about & where are the hundreds of deaths ?
Older members will know how much, much more frequent these things used to be in the 1980s. This is the first big accident I think in a decade.

Anirbann Datta

Eternal Flame
Country flag
Older members will know how much, much more frequent these things used to be in the 1980s. This is the first big accident I think in a decade.
KGP - ADRA/ BBS route has way less congestion in SE Railway down at night or after dawn, as the local / passenger trains have their timing to before dawn or at morning, so naturally the train speed remains high. Thus resulting the collision impact at higher side, and for Coromandel, as per I can remember/ it's Sleeper coaches always remain jam packed due South boarding migrant labour forces, and generally sleeper coaches are racked in front with general coaches!, might be that too adding numbers in casualty. Moreover superfast/ express trains mainly make up the delay in HWH > KGP at the said parts after crossing KGP/ Nimpura toward Odisa, more over the said route has high number of goods train movement due to KGP industrial belt.

another_armchair

Country flag
Had a connecting train from JSR to Bangalore some years back.

> Aleppey-Bokaro Dhanband express up to Rourkela.

>> Hatia-Yeswantpur from Rourkela to Bangalore.

Aleppey-Bokaro Dhanband got rescheduled from 3 pm to 6 pm. My connecting train from Rourkela was around 9'ish I think.

Asked taxi wallahs but they all refused - Manoharpur section is a naxal belt and traveling by road late afternoons by car is fraught with risk.

Turned out there were scores like me and everybody simply hopped into Gitanjali express which arrived at 5:30 something. Ticket checker came, we told them we were supposed to board Aleppey express which was rescheduled at the last minute and didn't have a choice. He didn't even bother asking for tickets. I traveled standing for most part of the journey.

Train was already running packed like a can of sardines with four people on a lower berth, folks sleeping in the middle seat, more people seated on the top berth. This was in the reserved sleeper coach. Side and side upper were equally full with 3-4 people.

This is the reality of train travel in India on most busy routes and sections. With so many festivals throughout the year, admission travel, holiday travel etc, railways really needs to do a wee bit more to improve the experience for the paying public.

skunk works

Country flag
Had a connecting train from JSR to Bangalore some years back.

> Aleppey-Bokaro Dhanband express up to Rourkela.

>> Hatia-Yeswantpur from Rourkela to Bangalore.

Aleppey-Bokaro Dhanband got rescheduled from 3 pm to 6 pm. My connecting train from Rourkela was around 9'ish I think.

Asked taxi wallahs but they all refused - Manoharpur section is a naxal belt and traveling by road late afternoons by car is fraught with risk.

Turned out there were scores like me and everybody simply hopped into Gitanjali express which arrived at 5:30 something. Ticket checker came, we told them we were supposed to board Aleppey express which was rescheduled at the last minute and didn't have a choice. He didn't even bother asking for tickets. I traveled standing for most part of the journey.

Train was already running packed like a can of sardines with four people on a lower berth, folks sleeping in the middle seat, more people seated on the top berth. This was in the reserved sleeper coach. Side and side upper were equally full with 3-4 people.

This is the reality of train travel in India on most busy routes and sections. With so many festivals throughout the year, admission travel, holiday travel etc, railways really needs to do a wee bit more to improve the experience for the paying public.
My Hazrat Nizamuddin to Ujjain experience in 2014 was the first train ride in over 20 years and was very pleasant. No overcrowding. 2 absolute whores kept the entire coach awake in the night by talking loudly.
That and the caterer was called 'Comesum' for some reason.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
So how did the first train get derailed?

IndianSpiderman

Country flag
Nothing's gonna change until IR's privatized. How many lives will be lost before that happens? I'm amazed people expect anything but incompetence from an organisation that seemingly doesn't give two hoots about the daily deaths happening on Mumbai locals.

Leftist vultures who see every tragedy as an opportunity are always the first to oppose privatization when that's on the table. It was because of their nonsense that we lost a good RM in Suresh Prabhu. Shouldn't be happenning again with Ashwini Vaishnaw.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Nothing's gonna change until IR's privatized. How many lives will be lost before that happens? I'm amazed people expect anything but incompetence from an organisation that seemingly doesn't give two hoots about the daily deaths happening on Mumbai locals.

Leftist vultures who see every tragedy as an opportunity are always the first to oppose privatization when that's on the table. It was because of their nonsense that we lost a good RM in Suresh Prabhu. Shouldn't be happenning again with Ashwini Vaishnaw.
Ashwini will have to quit mate.
300 losses is too much. The opposition will not leave him be.

jai jaganath

Country flag

Ashwini will have to quit mate.
300 losses is too much. The opposition will not leave him be.
This is what I am thinking of he might face same fate of suresh prabhu thus leading to some inefficient person to take place
But vaishnav was a good he did many developments and even improved the Indian railways but again luck isn't favoring him

NutCracker

Country flag
He can step down till fast tracked inquiry is finished and reason of accident is disclosed. Make a return after 2024.

maximus777

Country flag
Om shanti to the ones that lost their lives and may the injured recover soon.

jai jaganath

Country flag
Om Shanti to the departed souls
May god prevent such accidents in future

IndianSpiderman

Country flag
Repeating the same mistake over and over again and expecting different results is insanity. Railway Ministers come and go, yet these tragedies keep recurring cuz the problem lies with the Indian Railways organization. Can't expect any better from an organization that's become an employment guarantee scheme. It may have been alright-ish for the early 20th century, but is simply unfit to operate modern, fast trains.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles