Balasore Train Accident Jun 2023

Crazywithmath

Country flag
that means its fault of station master who turned both trains towards each other

Vaishnaw shouldn't resign. Instead fire and jail the rail babus, section controllers and maintenance guys responsible for this.

This is the correct analysis of the root cause of the accident.
Yup! Negligence from a bunch of group C employees.

Physx32

Country flag

The key features of the Kavach system include automatic brake application in case the locomotive pilot fails to act, the provision of line-side signal display in the cabin for improved visibility in foggy conditions and at higher speeds, continuous updating of movement authority, automatic whistling at level crossings, collision avoidance through direct loco-to-loco communication, and the inclusion of an SOS feature to control trains in emergency situations.

These are the features of kavach . Tell me how it could've prevented accident ? Do kavach records that specific loco has been derailed , hence commnuicate that to locos around it .

Or it just sends data about which track/lane is occupied by it hence which one is free to go/no collision.
Kavach wouldn't have prevented this accident. This is either a human error (i.e. the controller didn't bother to change the point) or a mechanical failure (i.e. point was changed by the controller but the system failed).

If it's mechanical failure, why didn't the signal turn red when the point changing failed?

Lot's of questions but I doubt railway babus care. Nothing will be made public and no heads will roll (except the rail minister who is not responsible).

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag

The key features of the Kavach system include automatic brake application in case the locomotive pilot fails to act, the provision of line-side signal display in the cabin for improved visibility in foggy conditions and at higher speeds, continuous updating of movement authority, automatic whistling at level crossings, collision avoidance through direct loco-to-loco communication, and the inclusion of an SOS feature to control trains in emergency situations.

These are the features of kavach . Tell me how it could've prevented accident ? Do kavach records that specific loco has been derailed , hence commnuicate that to locos around it .

Or it just sends data about which track/lane is occupied by it hence which one is free to go/no collision.

Edit- coincidentally tweet above answers my query.

Kavach cannot identify Derailment I believe. Maybe we can use this opportunity to introduce Train Black Box and Health monitoring system which can send signal in case of Derailment, Failures etc. This can send signal to immediate stations and other Trains.

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Kavach wouldn't have prevented this accident. This is either a human error (i.e. the controller didn't bother to change the point) or a mechanical failure (i.e. point was changed by the controller but the system failed).

If it's mechanical failure, why didn't the signal turn red when the point changing failed?

Lot's of questions but I doubt railway babus care. Nothing will be made public and no heads will roll (except the rail minister who is not responsible).
I have a question during multiple accidents in suresh prabhu time how many babuz were removed arrested or punished

Physx32

Country flag
That should make us wonder if these switching points EVEN have some kind of feedback/redundancy method that sends back signal about such failure.
Exactly! In both situations, the signal should have been red as the point was not correctly set.

But I don't think there's such system here. There's no feedback system between signalling and point, it seems.

Physx32

Country flag
Yes, Kawach can only detect head on collision and prevent it.
Kavach can warn drivers and automatically apply brakes if a train enters an occupied block. So it can prevent head on and collisions from behind.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Kavach can warn drivers and automatically apply brakes if a train enters an occupied block. So it can prevent head on and collisions from behind.
in this case the occupied block will be the loop line, with a few bogies sticking out onto the main line. if that kavach box on track is exactly below those few compartments sticking out, then yes.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Gawd.. this shitty outdated Indian Railways will need lot of capex. Don't know what other projects might go into backburner if track upgradation and Kavach system for even half the legth of tracks goes simultaneously.
I doubt any other projects will be put on the back burner as the CAPEX assigned has been for visible upgrades (new/upgrading stations, new trains, tracks etc) which they obviously want to continue with ahead of 2024 as they will be what deliveries tangible benefits/changes for the general public. They are already getting like 10X the CAPEX they were getting in 2013 but they will likely have to focus even more on specific safety projects, like how they introduced VB on certain stretches then after multiple cattle incidents decided to fence the entire stretch so this will be a retrospective measure now

maybe they’ll give more CAPEX for the next budget too specifically for safety

abingdonboy

Country flag

Edit- coincidentally tweet above answers my query.
Kavach would’ve prevented the original accident (pax train running into goods train), I’m not sure how it would’ve prevented the secondary incident (opposite direction train hitting derailed coaches), I think for that upgrading signalling is all that could’ve helped- once IR control rooms closed that stretch no train would’ve been able to enter that zone

Hari Sud

Country flag
Human error is the key to this accident and tremendous loss of life.

Railways should stop recruiting under qualified, poorly trained employees from the reservation class. These recruitments are politically motivated.

My sympathies with the families of the dead and injured.

abingdonboy

Country flag

Ultimately elected representatives are always responsible to the people, it’s up to them to get the babus in line. If sh!tty practices are in place then netas are responsible

not saying this should lead to resignations as that achieves nothing but this should be a wake up call

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Kavach would’ve prevented the original accident (pax train running into goods train), I’m not sure how it would’ve prevented the secondary incident (opposite direction train hitting derailed coaches), I think for that upgrading signalling is all that could’ve helped- once IR control rooms closed that stretch no train would’ve been able to enter that zone
Purely an act of God.

The track changer gave a green signal but the track had not really shifted.
If the Instrumebt malfunctioned regardless of maintenance than this is the act of God

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles