Australia's first Muslim frontbencher abused for taking oath on Koran

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

Ed Husic, Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister and Parliamentary Secretary for Broadband, during the swearing-in ceremony at Government House with Governor-General Quentin Bryce.

Ed Husic, with the copy of the Koran with which he was sworn in as a parliamentary secretary.

Muslim MP Ed Husic Abused For Taking Parliamentary Oath on Koran

The Prime Minister's new parliamentary secretary, Ed Husic, has been subjected to a torrent of abuse online for being sworn in to his position with a Koran.Mr Husic became Australia's first Muslim frontbencher on Monday when he was appointed to Kevin Rudd's new-look ministry as parliamentary secretary to the Prime Minister and parliamentary secretary for broadband.

"This is a wonderful day for multiculturalism, and everything it stands for in our country," Governor-General Quentin Bryce told Mr Husic during the swearing-in ceremony in Canberra on Monday.However, after receiving dozens of messages of congratulations on his Facebook page, the comments quickly turned to disgust and outrage that he had chosen to be sworn in on the Muslim holy book.Some called it un-Australian and unconstitutional.

"Our allegiance should have been to Queen and Country first Ed. That means saying the oath on the holy bible not the Koran.... Shame, Shame, Shame," posted one user, Ross Peace. "I am so disappointed in this government that they don't have the spine to stand up for the Australian way of life."

Another user, Therese Pearce, said she was "disgusted and embarrassed" for the Australian people."Hell i might just have to use snow white and the 7 dwarfs next time i take the oath for australia," she posted.
One user, Anna Dean, claimed his decision to be sworn in on the Koran undermined "our culture and country and constitution in this way".

Another user, Carrie Forrest, accused him of disregarding Australia's constitution and pushing for sharia.

Mr Husic played down the abuse on Tuesday afternoon by saying that people were entitled in a democracy to question his choice to be sworn in using a Koran and the public should not necessarily jump ''because of harsh words out of dark corners''.
''[People] may have questions and they may have concerns and people are right to raise that,'' he said. ''But I also think you'll have, from time to time, people of the extremes. There are people that are definitely extreme ... and they will always try to seek ways in which to divide people. The important thing is [that] mainstream Australia wants everyone to work together.''He said he had been ''heartened'' by the huge number of congratulatory messages. Mr Husic has previously said that he is a moderate Muslim who does not involve himself heavily with most of the religious customs and behaviours of the faith.

Asked about his religion in 2010, he told the ABC: "If someone asks me, 'Are you Muslim?' I say yes. And then if someone says, 'Well do you pray and go to a mosque and do all the other things that are associated with the faith?' I say no."I often get told that I describe myself as non-practising when in actual fact I don't go round saying that. Like I just say 'I'm Muslim.' "Opposition Leader Tony Abbott said people should respect Mr Husic's choice. ''I respect his choice,'' he told reporters in Melbourne. ''I think the Australian people should as well.''President of the Anti-Discrimination Board and chairman of the NSW Community Relations Commission Stepan Kerkyasharian said it was "a sad day for any society" when someone is abused because of their religion.

He said Mr Husic could act as a valuable bridge between the Muslim community and would put Australia at an advantage in the international community."It should be an interesting and positive milestone that someone of migrant heritage has come to Australia and has now, through our democratic process, reached a position of leadership," he said.

Mr Husic, 43, the son of Bosnian Muslim migrants, became the first Muslim to be elected to Parliament when he won his western Sydney seat of Chifley in the 2010 election with 51.58 per cent of votes, almost double that of his next competitor.
In 2010, he was sworn into Federal Parliament alongside members from several religions. Kooyong member Josh Frydenberg and Melbourne Ports member Michael Danby were sworn in on the Jewish bible.

Lawyer and community rights advocate Mariam Veiszadeh said there was too often an assumption that being a good Australian citizen and a good Muslim were "mutually exclusive concepts"."You can be a devout Jew and a good Australian parliamentarian who serves your country just as equally as you can be a practising Muslim and a good Australian citizen and politician," she said."It is ignorant for people to conflate irrelevant issues and it stems from the Muslim bashing that has been going on in this country for a decade."

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Re: Australia's first Muslim frontbencher abused for taking oath on Ko

Religion first nation later.

Now why people are so surprised on this one? :hmm:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh

Christ Monarch of Australia :suspicious:

Blackwater

Respect country laws first than religion. Otherwise leave Australia and go back to bosnia or pakistan where he will be made president

tom he will say jihad karo in australia its in koran. then???

Last edited:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

Respect country laws first than religion. Otherwise leave Australia and go back to bosnia or pakistan where he will be made president

Thats what some of the comments say ie "Sharia for Aussies sooner or later"

The Last Stand

Country flag

Secular Australia.

Right, and we have to believe that? :laugh:

datguy79

Secular Australia.

Right, and we have to believe that? :laugh:
Christian MPs swear on the Bible. Is that secular?

Secularism functions as a way to force members of all religions to be dependent on each other for societal harmony in the West, not as a way to suppress religion.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag

Lol he has replaced the Constitution with Quran , Aussies get ready for the upcoming demand of Shariah ! :nod:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

If he took the oath on a Bible, then he could gop ,merry in not doing as per his oath since that oath would be of no value.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!

Agreed but australians should also leave and go back to europe, if they want to stay they must follow the customs of native aboriginals.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Agreed but australians should also leave and go back to europe, if they want to stay they must follow the customs of native aboriginals.
I hope this suggestion is not complied. Africa is gonna get really crowded. :sad:

I think, he should have used the constitution, rather than a religious book. As a matter of fact I think swearing in using the constitution should be made mandatory.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!

I hope this suggestion is not complied. Africa is gonna get really crowded. :sad:

I think, he should have used the constitution, rather than a religious book. As a matter of fact I think swearing in using the constitution should be made mandatory.
Logically one must swear in by something he believes the most so that he doesn't break his promise.

what if a person doesn't believe in the constitution and swears to uphold and protect the same constitution ? he wouldn't mind breaking the promise.

also i find the whole concept of swearing in idiotic, an "enemy" will swear in and still do things against it...when was this custom started ?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Logically one must swear in by something he believes the most so that he doesn't break his promise.

what if a person doesn't believe in the constitution and swears to uphold and protect the same constitution ? he wouldn't mind breaking the promise.

also i find the whole concept of swearing in idiotic, an "enemy" will swear in and still do things against it...when was this custom started ?
What does "believes the most" mean ? Either you believe in what something stands for or you don't. And, if he/she doesn't believe in the constitution, he shouldn't be serving the country.
Separation of church (or religion) and state is a requirement of a civilized state. And that is why I said religious texts shouldn't be used for this purpose.
----
I guess oaths were taken since when men started forming groups, and breaking of an oath would mean expulsion from the group or death.
These days breaking an oath will give you some form of punishment for perjury. But I guess you know about these things better.

Blackwater

Its UK not Europe

Valid point, but we should stick to current fact and fact is OZ is chirstian country

pmaitra

Looks like Australia has given shelter to plenty of Kosovo Albanians.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

According to this link:

Swearing in for the Australian parliament – explained | World news | guardian.co.uk

The oath of allegiance can be made on a Bible, other Christian text, or a holy book for another faith.

"The essential requirement is that every member taking an oath should take it in a manner which affects his or her conscience regardless of whether a holy book is used or not," said the Attorney General's Department in 1962.
So where is the question of being un-Australian or any such thing? This is nothing but the usual racist/xenophobic hysteria which is typical of Australians and their ilk.

TrueSpirit

Islam is a politico-military cult which is perpetually at loggerheads with the concept of nation-states, itself.

Inherent contradictions within religion of peace is responsible for this deeply-entrenched mindset which places religion above nation-state.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles