Attacks on Indians in Australia - II

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Indian in Aus attacked with baseball bats, beer bottles

Indian in Aus attacked with baseball bats, beer bottles
CNN-IBN

New Delhi: An Indian student who hails from Indore has become the latest victim of an alleged racist attack in Australia.
Mohit Mangal, an engineering student who works as a mall supervisor in Sydney, was on his way to work when four men assaulted him on Saturday night.

They allegedly smashed a beer bottle on his head and then attacked him with a baseball bat. Mohit suffered waist and leg injuries. His condition is stable right now.

Mohit is the fourth Indian to be targeted after External Affairs Minister S M Krishna paid a special visit to Australia to raise concerns over recent violence against the Indian community there.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Three more attacks on Indians in Australia in past fortnight

Meenakshi Sinha , TNN 10 August 2009, 08:39pm IST
NEW DELHI: Mohit Mangal, an Indian student from Indore, was beaten up in a Sydney suburb with beer bottles and baseball bats last Friday barely 500m from the mall he worked in, while external affairs minister SM Krishna was in Australia to reassure students like him.

On August 3, attackers sprayed Gaurav Kakkar of Melbourne's Sheila Baxter Institute with capsicum spray, stuffed chilli flakes into his mouth and eyes and beat him with a rod. On July 27, Paramjeet Singh of Melbourne's Cambridge College was brutally assaulted in Glenroy railway platform.

The attacks continue for the third month running. Kakkar and Singh spoke to TOI on phone on the attacks' details that has shaken them.

Says Kakkar, "I was attacked by 4-5 Australians with capsicum spray and chilli flakes when I went out in North Carlton, Melbourne at 12:45 am to call my parents in Ferozpur, Punjab. They took my wallet." His friend Vikas Sharma adds, "They also hit his leg with a rod."

Kakkar, a hairdressing and management student, called the police from his cell. "The police station is a five-minute drive but they arrived 55 minutes later. I just lay there bleeding. I couldn't move and could barely see with chilli in my eyes," says Kakkar, still in pain.

The police took Kakkar to Royal Victorian Eye and Ears hospital where the doctor administered eye drops and took the X-rays of his legs. "I told the doctor I can't see with my right eye. But he said don't play games with me," says Kakkar. It's been a week but Kakkar says he still cannot see with his right eye.

Kakkar is set to complete his course shortly with four assessments to clear before he can apply for permanent residency. But now, with all his troubles, he's unable to attend college. "His visa is about to expire and he doesn't even have enough money to pay hospital bills," says Sharma.

On July 27, Paramjeet Singh, a 23-year-old student of printing and graphics, was returning home by local train from Ascendant to Glenroy around 4:15 pm local time when 5-6 young men seated behind him began teasing two girls on board. "One of the girls was Indian. When I went to defend her, threatening to press the button that activates the camera on the train, the guys stepped back." But the group beat him black and blue when he got off at Glenroy.

"My pagdi came off and hair fell loose. One White person tried to help me, but the group assaulted him also. They chased me as I raced from one platform to another. They were not afraid of the platforms' CCTV cameras," says Singh, who hails from Amritsar.

"Later, the police came with a para-medical van which gave me first aid. They lodged an FIR. I'm told investigations are going on," says Singh

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Another Indian stabbed to death in Australia

Melbourne: An Indian youth from Punjab was viciously stabbed while on his way to work in Melbourne on Saturday night. He died later in hospital. This incident adds to the saga of assaults on Indians in the country as the year begins.

The 21-year-old, who had permanent residency and worked at Hungry Jack's restaurant in West Footscray, managed to stagger to the restaurant after he was stabbed at about 2200 hours (local time) on Saturday and sought help before collapsing.

He was rushed to the Royal Melbourne Hospital, but later died.

The victim, who was from Newport, had travelled to Yarraville train station about 2130 hours (local time) and then walked to Cruickshank Park where he was stabbed in the abdomen, the police said.

He stumbled some 300 metres to the Hungry Jack's restaurant where he worked part-time.

Homicide Squad Senior Sergeant Dave Snare described it as a vicious attack.

He said at this stage there was no evidence the man was targeted because of his race.

The victim was a single man who had permanent residency in Australia. Some of the man's belongings were found in the park.

Forensic experts have scoured the scene and a search failed to locate any weapon.

There had been a string of attacks on Indian students in Australia last year, which caused an outrage in India. The assaults had taken place in Melbourne as well as Sydney.

amitkriit

India must generate a travel advisory for Indians who are planning to travel to Australia, showing anger is not enough.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Indians here in oz are handicap due to many reasons but Indians in India are not.

Calanen

India must generate a travel advisory for Indians who are planning to travel to Australia, showing anger is not enough.
In the same period of time just as many white people were stabbed to death, shot, beaten, mugged. But when it happens to an Indian, its a race attack. Do you think that muggers and criminals let Indians pass provided they have great racial ethics? And just mug the white guys?

If you walk around in certain suburbs after dark, not just in Australia but in India, no one can guarantee your safety, no matter what colour you are.

Indeed, the majority of attacks on Indians in Sydney were by muslims who have their own reasons for doing so, which was why the Indians then attacked the muslims back in Parramatta.

Australia has a big problem with crime, but it is because the majority of the Police have been diverted to traffic duties in order to raise revenue and fines for the government. Regular people don't care because they live in suburbs that are safe, and no one cares what poor people think - whatever colour they are.

The one good thing that may come from this, is that crime enforcement improves for everyone. But do not believe that there is some huge KKK movement afoot in Australia targetting Indians, its not the case. If there was anyone that was to be targetted, it would be muslims who fill our jails and have a horrendous history of overrepresentation in crimes of gang rape. The fact that they are largely ignored demonstrates just how tolerant Australia is.

Rage

DFI TEAM
From Times Online

Indian cartoon depicts Australian police as Ku Klux Klan after Nitin Garg's murder

January 8, 2010

Anne Barrowclough in Sydney

A cartoon in an Indian newspaper depicting Australian police as members of the Ku Klux Klan has sparked fury in Australia and threatened diplomatic relations between the two countries.

The cartoon, featured in Delhi’s Mail Today, shows an Australian police officer dressed in a white hood as a member of the Ku Klux Klan. It is the latest attack from India over the weekend murder of Nitin Garg, an Indian student who was stabbed to death on his way to work at a Melbourne fast food restaurant on Saturday.

The murder of 21-year-old accountancy graduate Mr Garg, which re-ignited simmering tensions between India and Australia over a spate of attacks on Indian students, has resulted in an almost unprecedented police response. Stop and search powers in Victoria have been specially extended and Kieran Walshe, the Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner, issued a personal assurance to India's high commissioner that "everything possible" was being done to bring the person responsible for Mr Garg's death to justice .

But India, which claims the assault was racially motivated, has been infuriated by Australia's refusal to say it was a racist murder until the killer had been caught.

The cartoon depicts the Klu Klux Klan officer as saying: “We are yet to ascertain the nature of the crime’’. Acting Prime Minister Julia Gillard condemned the cartoon, describing it as “deeply offensive”.

“Any suggestion of the kind is deeply offensive and I would condemn the making of such comment,” Ms Gillard said. Police were doing an outstanding job in increasing Indian students’ safety, she said. ‘‘The Victorian police have stepped up and increased policing in difficult hot spots …They have worked in close collaboration with representatives of the Indian community as they have gone about with this step up in policing.”

Bob Cameron, the Victorian Police Minister, has dismissed the cartoon as ‘‘outrageous’’.

“We are a tolerant place and Victorian police are very tolerant and this business about racism is just wrong, “ he said.

Greg Davies, the Victoria Police Association secretary, described the cartoon as “a kick in the guts” for investigating officers.

The issue has once more thrown a spotlight on the issue of racism in Australia, sparked by a spate of assaults on Indian students in Melbourne last winter. The attacks, many of which appeared to be opportunistic street crime on naive young migrants, led to street protests in India and strained diplomatic relations between Canberra and Delhi, threatening Australia's lucrative education trade with India.

Although Australian police have insisted the crimes were not racially motivated, Australia's high commissioner to India, Peter Varghese, admtted this week that race might have been a motive for some of the attacks, particularly where the attackers engaged in racial abuse.

His admission came shortly after the Indian Government issued a travel advisory for Indian students travelling to Australia, warning them of an increased risk of assault, especially in Melbourne.

The number of Indian students in Australia has rocketed in the past few years, since the Australian Government offered permanent residency to overseas students enrolled at Australian colleges. PR, as it is commonly known, has spawned a vast overseas education industry worth $15 billion (£8.6 billion) to Australia, $2.3 billion of which comes from India alone.

But the boom in students from the sub-continent has forced many young men and women into less affluent, crowded suburbs where they compete for housing and jobs with low skilled youths from other migrant backgrounds. Many believe it is this volatile dynamic that may lie behind the attacks.

Bob Birrell, a social analyst at Monash University in Melbourne, told The Times: “The students are not coming to Australia for an education but for the permanent residency that is offered with the college course they take.

"There is a concentration of disadvantage in the areas where the Indian students find themselves, and this has created a powder keg situation as the newcomers find themselves soft targets for youth gangs,” he said.

“I don’t deny that there are elements of racism in the host group but in these areas the cultural preference is to target the newest group which is in this case happens to be the Indians."

Mr Davies said that the police association would contact its counterpart in India in an attempt to ease tensions.

“I don't know whether they will go in to bat for us. Obviously the media in India are a pretty powerful body but certainly we’re going to try and impress upon them the importance of people keeping a level head,’’ he said.

‘‘This sort of thing is just ridiculous, unhelpful, counterproductive and just plain stupid.’’

Indian cartoon depicts Australian police as Ku Klux Klan after Nitin Garg's murder - Times Online

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
In the same period of time just as many white people were stabbed to death, shot, beaten, mugged.
That's plain wrong. Your own statistics show that Indians are 2.5 times more likely to get assaulted than the general population.

What I don't understand is why these *****s keep going to Australia inspite of the mounds of evidence that Australia is not a safe country for Indians. Is that Australian PR so valuable that you'd place your life on the line for it? Mind you, these are rich kids, who can afford to pay for an Australian education, not refugees who sell their life's savings to merely land there.

If they want to get that hair stylist's diploma so bad, go to Canada or the US instead. Both are more advanced than Oz anyway.

Calanen

That's plain wrong. Your own statistics show that Indians are 2.5 times more likely to get assaulted than the general population.
If that is true, (and who knows if it is without a source, I dont think we keep race based statistics) it would not be because they are Indian. Because they work late night jobs as students and walk home after work. The general population doesnt do that.

I'm white, and if I went to the places where these Indians feel confident of walking home (where even the police don't go) they'd rob and kill me too.

What I don't understand is why these *****s keep going to Australia inspite of the mounds of evidence that Australia is not a safe country for Indians. Is that Australian PR so valuable that you'd place your life on the line for it? Mind you, these are rich kids, who can afford to pay for an Australian education, not refugees who sell their life's savings to merely land there.
In parts of Australia, its not a safe country for *anyone*. Racism as a motive for a crime is very, very rare. Crime however, is not. And in particular areas, you are taking your life into your hands by going there.

If Indians lived in the Northern or Eastern suburbs of Sydney, they would always be safe. But rent cheap areas in the West or South West and you are taking your life in your hands, whatever colour you are.

If they want to get that hair stylist's diploma so bad, go to Canada or the US instead. Both are more advanced than Oz anyway.
Most come here because they want permanent residence. If it was that bad, nobody would want to stay, they'd leave after they got here.

The Indian media is whipping people into a frenzy, but Indians are safer in Australia than they are in India. So the truth is, Indians come to Australia and are safer than where they left, according to the statistics.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But don't mind me - it's all racism - whip yourselves into a righteous fury and burn effigies of Kevin Rudd.

One of the attacks the Indian press whipped themselves into a frenzy over was this one:

Another partially-burnt body of a 25-year-old man, believed to be an Indian, was recently found in New South Wales.
http://www.newkerala.com/news/fullnews-25515.html

And now the two main suspects appear to be Nepalese. Were they hired by the white racists to kill the Indian man (their employer by the way) or maybe it wasn't racism after all given both deceased and possible perpetrators are dark skinned.

TWO men attempting to leave Australia have had their passports seized by detectives investigating the stabbing murder of an Indian-born seasonal work contractor in the Riverina town of Griffith.

They were stopped by police at the Sydney Airport departure lounge on Monday as they were about to board a flight to Nepal via Singapore. Both were questioned about their relationship to murdered 25-year-old Ranjodh Singh.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/two-questioned-over-burnt-body-of-indian-worker-in-griffith-20100109-m03q.html

Calanen

Attacks not racist, just urban crime: Envoy
TNN, 7 January 2010, 03:55am IST
Text Size:
|
NEW DELHI: A day after the government issued an advisory for Indian students, Australian high commissioner Peter Varghese said the attacks on
Indian students in the country seemed to be "opportunistic, urban" crimes which did not appear to be racist in nature. Australia has refused to acknowledge that the violence against Indians are racist attacks and Varghese on Wednesday said this was only because, as yet, there was no evidence for Canberra to describe them as hate crimes.

"A majority of these have been opportunistic, urban crimes. In some, there would appear to be racial motivation. It’s not that we are refusing to admit that there are racist attacks. But to reach a conclusion there has to be evidence for it. As of now, we don’t know who has done it and so we don’t know the motive," Varghese said.

Meanwhile, Punjab chief minister Parkash Singh Badal and his son Sukhbir Singh Badal, who is deputy chief minister, met Varghese and sought immediate steps to ensure safety of Punjabi students and immigrants in Australia.

Varghese admitted the attacks could see a dip in student admissions from India in this academic year. "I am expecting a decline in 2010. But there are a variety of reasons — the global economic recession, the higher exchange rate, the cost of living and I accept that the perception of safety of students can deter families from sending them," said Varghese.

"I am not in the numbers game. I regret that the incidents have gone up but the number of Indian students applying for programmes has also gone up from 30,000 to 100,000 in the last three years," he added.
Attacks not racist, just urban crime: Envoy - India - The Times of India

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
If that is true, (and who knows if it is without a source, I dont think we keep race based statistics) it would not be because they are Indian. Because they work late night jobs as students and walk home after work. The general population doesnt do that.
Indians in the UK, the USA (even in the most "unsafe" parts), and everywhere else do the same, so do the other ethnic groups (such as the Chinese and Arabs) (which the local populations there "don't"?). They don't end up like the Indians in Australia.

So Aussies don't do late-night jobs at all? Whatever that means.

Calanen

]Indians in the UK, the USA (even in the most "unsafe" parts), and everywhere else do the same, so do the other ethnic groups (such as the Chinese and Arabs) (which the local populations there "don't"?).
Because the news tells you so. No doubt. Do you have any facts and figures to back that up?

There are *lot* of students in Australia, from all places. 120,000 just from India alone.

There are 120,569 Indians studying in Australia, representing 19.1 percent of all international students, the second-biggest nationality after those from China, according to the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations. The number jumped 27.5 percent as of November 2009 from a year earlier.
Australia Attacks on Indians ?Opportunist? Crimes, Envoy Says - BusinessWeek

They don't end up like the Indians in Australia.
And how many Indians have ended up like this, out of the 120,000 or so? Surely there would be tens of thousands dead and mained if there was the tyranny of the racist mob as your press would have us believe.

Australia does have a problem with crime because the Left wing and their *****ic crime enforcement policies have meant that everyone is less safe. In addition, in Sydney, the majority of the crime is committed by muslims against Indians. Have you noticed any Pakistanis complaining of racist attacks? Do you really think a white Australian could tell the difference between an Indian and a Pakistani? But a muslim could.

And the Indians knew who precisely was to blame in Sydney -

Police in Sydney, Australia had to be called to Harris Park suburb on Monday night to quell an angry crowd, provoked by two new alleged attacks on Indians.

An Indian man in his 20s was allegedly set upon by a group of men of Middle Eastern appearance, and another Indian was injured in a separate attack.
Three Lebanese men were then allegedly assaulted by members of the angry Indian crowd and sustained minor injuries, in what is believed to be a retaliation attack.
Why would the crowd attack the Lebanese muslims if white Australians were to blame? Were they confused? Left their glasses at home.

Australia Attacks on Indians ?Opportunist? Crimes, Envoy Says - BusinessWeek

So Aussies don't do late-night jobs at all? Whatever that means.
There is a reason why the Simpsons has the stereotypical character Apu working in the Quik-e-mart, because many Indians work in all night stores and restaurants. Also, they will walk home at night, when Australians will not do so - Australians will drive home. I often see Indians walking home late at night when Im driving home and I want to tell them 'You're INSANE to be walking around here.'

I am open enough to admit there is a problem with crime. But powerful forces are at work seeking to manipulate the Indian public to believe there is racism at work. Australia does not have the entrenced racist organisations that the US does, or even the UK does. Most people really do not care. And as I say, if there was any ill feeling against any particular group of immigrants it would be muslims who by far have as a group caused the most trouble - what with 5 or so jihad terror plots against the state so far in the last few years.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Why are Indian students being attacked in Australia?

Soutik Biswas | 10:13 UK time, Tuesday, 12 January 2010

What is happening to Indian students in Australia? Why have they been mugged, knifed, set alight, and murdered, mostly, in Melbourne, Australia's proud multi-racial melting pot city where, according to my colleague Nick Bryant, people from 140 nations live side-by-side?
Nearly a year after the attacks began, nobody is quite sure. Already, in the new year, two Indians have been attacked - one murdered; and the other allegedly set on fire in Melbourne. What we know for sure is that the number of Indian students wanting to study in Australia has slumped by almost 50%, diplomatic relations between the two countries have soured and grim travel advisories have been issued by the Indian government to students in Australia.
People here say they still don't know why Indians are being targeted. Have the attacks followed a pattern? Do the victims have some kind of a common profile or background? How do the number of attacks on Indians compare with attacks on other expatriate groups? Are the attacks concentrated in a specific area? How many of these attacks could have had a racist motive?
Australian police have said the attacks appear to be random with no evidence they were racially motivated.
In the absence of any clarity - I have not read a single major investigation into these attacks in the Australian media, or the outcome of any official probe - the shrill sections of the Indian media, especially TV news networks, have gone ballistic.
Every other night, we have news presenters telling us over on-screen captions like 'Indian Burnt In Australia' that Australia is a racist country, and that Melbourne is the most racist city of all. An Indian newspaper cartoon even portrayed the Australian police as the Ku Klux Klan.
Nobody contests the fact that Indians have the right to feel worried, very worried, about the spate of attacks. More than 70,000 Indians are studying in Australia; nearly a fifth of the international enrolments are from the subcontinent. There have been reports that a number of the victims have enrolled in vocational courses, and live in poorer neighbourhoods to save money.
Australia has reason to worry about the attacks too. Education is the country's biggest export - after coal and iron ore - and international students contribute $13bn to the Australian economy every year. Australia, by one estimate, could easily lose $70m because of the attacks.
It's a no-brainer that Australian authorities need to investigate each of these attacks thoroughly to come to a considered and precise explanation as to why they happened and quell the growing mistrust between the two countries.
If Australians believe that sections of the Indian media are hyperventilating over the attacks and behaving irresponsibly, Indians believe that there is not enough information coming out from the Australian authorities over the attacks. They - and Indian student groups in Australia - feel the Australian media isn't doing enough to highlight the issue.

Many Indians I have spoken to find the discourse in the Australian media on the spate of attacks superficial. Tim Colebatch, an editor at Melbourne Age, writes that such incidents happen "because human beings are imperfect creatures. They can be selfish, they can be hateful, they can enjoying hurting, even killing, other humans. It happens here, it happens in India, it happens everywhere."
Mr Colebatch then tries to offer some clues to why Indians may have been attacked. One of the victims, Nitin Garg, was taking a short cut through a park when he was murdered, while Australians "instinctively know that their parks are not safe at night, and avoid using them as short cuts". And so, he writes, Mr Garg has "become another victim of our epidemic of alcohol abuse, our tolerance of extreme violence in films and screen games - and yes, of the Romper Stomper racism that seems to live on among teenagers in the western suburbs, now directed against Indians instead of Vietnamese."
Alcohol abuse and exposure to violent films can hardly be a problem with Australian youth alone. And fringe racism exists in many countries in the world. Mr Colebatch's interesting observations notwithstanding, Indians feel that they are in the dark about the spate of attacks.

BBC - Soutik Biswas's India: Why are Indian students being attacked in Australia?

One of the interesting comment there

7. At 02:36am on 13 Jan 2010, GNS wrote:
I am 62,live in Sydney since 1997 with my 2 sons working here.I also work with 9 white Australians in a banking franchise.We never faced ANY discrimination all these years.So why do the Indian students face attacks now which are deadly,brutal and sometimes life-threatening ? What about others,including white Australians ? Indian media has no reporters actually working here and mostly rely on agency reports or Indian student associations.Facts are as follows :

Indian student population went up by 400% in 5 years !
Most of the arrivals since 2005,the majority,chose vocational colleges for getting PR; these colleges are basically one-two room affairs in city centres with little practical training given in the courses chosen : hair-styling,cafe,hospitality etc.
Australia allows foreign students to work 20 hours per week and a vast majority of Indian vocational students work far in excess of 20 hours,late at night ( to get better wages ) knocking the jobs from local teenagers leading to widespread resentment.Australia has no manpower to check these violations as employers ( some of them Indian restaurants ) conveniently don't keep employee records by paying contractors who pay lower than statutory minimum wage.These students depend on these wages to live,pay fees and even to send money home.

Also to save money,they stay in far-off unsafe suburbs where drugs and alcohol abuse is rampant.

Most use public transport to reach home late at night and easily become a target for criminals who come out at night like cockroaches.

Very few of the Indian university students get hurt as they stay closer to University and are here for studies,not work.

Till 2004 99% of Indian students used to come to Australia for university studies and there were practically no attacks of the kind we see now.

Yes,Chinese students were also attacked many times.But as a proportion they are far less as most of them come for studies,not work.Though they are the largest student contingent,you rarely see a Chinese student working.In contrast,almost petrol pumps,convenience stores,pizza chains and similar outfits are manned by Indian students.

Violent incidents are a daily event in the Metros of Sydney & Melbourne on account of binge drinking,drugs etc.Majority of the victims are Australian citizens,mostly white.

Violent attacks on Indian students will be greatly reduced if they stay in safer suburbs,don't work at night and beyond 20 hours per week and bring sufficient cash to meet tuition and living expenses.

Indian media only highlights only attacks on Indian students as if there are no other attacks on others.Just yesterday there were 3 stabbings in Sydney involving all white Australians but that goes unreported.They repeatedly show the same video causing distress to our relatives and friends.When Indians commit crimes,they don't get reported.This upsets us, local media and local people.Just 10 days ago one 23 year old Indian student brutally murdered his 29 year old wife by slitting her throat and it was not as sensationally reported as Nitin Garg's murder.Indian media does not realise how difficult it is to police vast areas of these cities with so few policemen.

Indian students must be bluntly told to follow local laws and don't stay in Australia if they don't have the means to meet a part of living expenses and tuition fees.

Australia too must close those fly-by-night type colleges and compensate those students cheated by these operators.Local police in Sydney too must be given powers to check train passengers for weapons as they did in Melbourne.

ppgj

Racial attacks on Indian students spread to South Australia with a 22-year-old being allegedly assaulted by a teenager in Adelaide after making "rude" comments about his turban, even as the state premier warned he will not tolerate any form of racism.

Police said the Indian student suffered a broken nose and sore jaw in the incident in Adelaide's busy market area of Rundle Mall on Thursday and that they have arrested a 17-year-old youth in this connection.
Another 'racial attack' on Indian student in Australia

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles