At $10,000 per migrant, Bangladeshis take illegal route to Brazil

parijataka

Country flag
good news for India - GOI should sponsor their passage...:p

SAO PAULO: In an operation that exposed the worldwide network of human traffickers, the Brazilian federal police on Wednesday rescued 80 Bangladeshis in the national capital, Brasilia. All the Bangladeshis, who were lured with the promise of receiving a salary of $1,500 a month, had reached Brazil after paying $10,000 each to the traffickers. Travelling more than 16,000km from their homes, the Bangladeshis entered Brazil without visas from three neighbouring countries: Peru, Bolivia and Guyana.

The Bangladeshi embassy in Brasilia has expressed surprise at the news but it has offered its support to the Brazilian authorities in their investigation. The victims have not been arrested but advised to seek refugee status. Their cases will now be decided by the National Council for Refugees.

According to the national secretary of justice, Paul Abram, Brazilian law provides that victims of human trafficking and people working in degrading conditions can get resident visa on humanitarian grounds. According to Abram, foreigners who are properly employed by companies will receive regular work visa and the others will be accepted in the country on humanitarian grounds.

"The first step is to confirm the occurrence of trafficking and slave labour since the simple fact of being identified as victims of trafficking gives them protection from the Brazilian state," the secretary told reporters in Brasilia.

The federal police launched an operation, called "Freedom", after noticing a sharp rise in the number of asylum claims by Bangladeshis in recent years. In 2010, there were 39 such cases but the number went up to 111 in 2011. Last year, the Bangladeshis were one of the four countries from where Brazil gets the maximum number of asylum seekers and refugees.

On Wednesday, the federal police teams, tracking the victims, found them in six places in Fern, a satellite town of Brasilia.

According to the police, all the victims were living in very bad conditions, with 20 people crammed into a room. Currently unemployed, they have been looking for work in the construction sector. Now, some of them are afraid of going back to their country, where the majority of population is trapped in poverty.

Melad Ahmed, 35, came to Brazil illegally to work in poultry industry in Parana state, but he was taken to Brasilia. "I can not go back. In Dhaka, I have no job and money. Here, I can work in construction, slaughter house and Indian restaurants. I will do any service," Ahmed told Estadao de Sao Paulo newspaper in his broken English. "If I return to Bangladesh, I will have trouble with the police," he told the newspaper.

Leaving his wife and son in Dhaka, according to Estadao, Ahmed travelled from Dhaka to Santa Cruz de la Sierra in Bolivia, with stops in Dubai, Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires. From Bolivia, he took buses to Parana and from there he arrived in the federal capital.

The growth of new routes being used by international traffickers to bring illegal immigrants to Brazil has set the alarm bells ringing in Brazil. The first to use these routes were Haitians, who received special treatment due to the critical situation in their country.

However, the same routes are now being used by Africans and Asians who pass seven different countries until they reach the border of Brazil, often paying thousands of dollars to middlemen and smugglers who take them to Brazil through the porous borders with Peru and Bolivia, which are covered in heavy vegetation and difficult to patrol.

With its economy growing and the wages getting better, Brazil is now becoming a destination for migrants from poor countries, including Bangladesh. In recent years, there has been such an escalating influx of illegal immigrants into Acre, a state in Brazil's westernmost region, and other parts of northwestern Brazil, that it created an emergency situation which the local government was not able to handle and it had to request the federal government for help to provide shelter, food and water to more than 1,000 migrants â€" mostly from Africa â€" who crossed into the state from Bolivia.

More than 5,000 Haitians have moved into Acre since the January 2010 earthquake devastated the impoverished Caribbean nation.

SinghSher1984

Tihar Jail
Banned
That's no different from the lakhs people pay to get from India to western countries.
@RedDragon, it's a gamble, many sell land or possessions to raise the money with the hope that it will be made back quickly.

An example is if someone does spend 4 lakh rupee to get to Canada that's 10k. Minimum wage here is 24k a year so in a few years the money they send should net a profit, and people feel hopeless, overcrowded, and on constant guard as India is a back-stabber's paradise.

It's the same thing anywhere, many chinese come here with 100k's of dollars. Just to live, and be regular laborers and have their children treated badly when they could just buy a degree in China.. Idk why people move, but I get it also.

It's about human capital vs monetary capital.

Last edited by a moderator:

IBSA

Country flag
good news for India - GOI should sponsor their passage...:p

Are you crazy, guy?:crazy:

Brazil already suffers with its own stock of poor people to care, and from a time ago to today suffers also with a lot of illegal poor migrant coming from Haiti, Bolivia, Africa, and other neighbours countries, and you wish that Brazil receives thousands of poor bangladeshis??? :nono: No, thanks. Stay with them for you, Indians. :thumb:

RedDragon

That's no different from the lakhs people pay to get from India to western countries.
@RedDragon, it's a gamble, many sell land or possessions to raise the money with the hope that it will be made back quickly.

An example is if someone does spend 4 lakh rupee to get to Canada that's 10k. Minimum wage here is 24k a year so in a few years the money they send should net a profit, and people feel hopeless, overcrowded, and on constant guard as India is a back-stabber's paradise.

It's the same thing anywhere, many chinese come here with 100k's of dollars. Just to live, and be regular laborers and have their children treated badly when they could just buy a degree in China.. Idk why people move, but I get it also.

It's about human capital vs monetary capital.
Yes that also happened in China, especially in the 70s, 80s even 90s. But I think now as China and India's economy raised very quickly, there should be more chance in China or India than in the western country.

A joke based real event: A BeiJing family selled their house and go to the USA, hard working 20 years, saved 1 Million USD. 20 years later, when they come back to BeiJing, they just found that the house they selled, price raised to more than 1 Million USD.

Last edited by a moderator:

SinghSher1984

Tihar Jail
Banned
Yes that also happened in China, especially in the 70s, 80s even 90s. But I think now as China and India's economy raised very quickly, there should be more chance in China or India than in the western country.

A joke based real event: A BeiJing family selled their house and go to the USA, hard working 20 years, saved 1 Million USD. 20 years later, when they come back to BeiJing, they just found that the house they selled, price raised to more than 1 Million USD.
Idk, I still don't want to live in China I don't know the system and the intricacies etc.

For example, in Canada I am immune to prosecution due to knowing that the constitution says all Canadian law only applies to gov. workers.

Even thought I know I could 'win' in a chinese court vs the ccp as it's a corporation (same processes if any have questions pm me) would I just disappear after?

Atleast, in Canada I know for the most part the worst that will happen for winning and beating the system is eventually fake raids (can counter with land patents), police harassment etc but only for a short time if I don't have my papers in line.

If I do, I join the section of the population who is not supposed to be arrested or touched without written notice from the attorney general and realistically never unless they kill someone.

It's that kind of respect for the 'law', and workings of the system that doesn't exist in the third world and to my estimation will not for those outside of a select circle (who are really just exploiting the system, not outside of it) for at least another century (unforeseen events not included).

Already though, we are seeing this 'civil rights facade' disappearing fast in the west especially for 'brown people' who are the new n*.

-
So, I don't think it's about economy completely, many people may not even realize it but I don't know enough about East Asia to comment on the situation now. I can tell you that Punjabis esp. Sikhs go wherever there is room, and availability. I.e Italy, Australia, Georgia, Canada, USA, UK, Switzerland, Fiji, Mauritius, etc.

USA is a joke though, only redeeming quality is that many states are instituting un-restricted concealed carry so federally it's garbage, but state-wise some are heaven.

RedDragon

Idk, I still don't want to live in China I don't know the system and the intricacies etc.

For example, in Canada I am immune to prosecution due to knowing that the constitution says all Canadian law only applies to gov. workers.

Even thought I know I could 'win' in a chinese court vs the ccp as it's a corporation (same processes if any have questions pm me) would I just disappear after?

Atleast, in Canada I know for the most part the worst that will happen for winning and beating the system is eventually fake raids (can counter with land patents), police harassment etc but only for a short time if I don't have my papers in line.

If I do, I join the section of the population who is not supposed to be arrested or touched without written notice from the attorney general and realistically never unless they kill someone.

It's that kind of respect for the 'law', and workings of the system that doesn't exist in the third world and to my estimation will not for those outside of a select circle (who are really just exploiting the system, not outside of it) for at least another century (unforeseen events not included).

Already though, we are seeing this 'civil rights facade' disappearing fast in the west especially for 'brown people' who are the new n*.

-
So, I don't think it's about economy completely, many people may not even realize it but I don't know enough about East Asia to comment on the situation now. I can tell you that Punjabis esp. Sikhs go wherever there is room, and availability. I.e Italy, Australia, Georgia, Canada, USA, UK, Switzerland, Fiji, Mauritius, etc.

USA is a joke though, only redeeming quality is that many states are instituting un-restricted concealed carry so federally it's garbage, but state-wise some are heaven.
As your flag is Indian, I think you is Indian origin. Then India and Canada which one you prefer to stay? Do you have the feeling of homesick when you stay in Canada?

From my experience, I have been working in a western country for several years, at that time I missed almost everything of China: my family, my friends, Chinese food ...... everything. Although I have the chance to stay, I go back to China when the work finished.

SinghSher1984

Tihar Jail
Banned
As your flag is Indian, I think you is Indian origin. Then India and Canada which one you prefer to stay? Do you have the feeling of homesick when you stay in Canada?

From my experience, I have been working in a western country for several years, at that time I missed almost everything of China: my family, my friends, Chinese food ...... everything. Although I have the chance to stay, I go back to China when the work finished.
My only home, is in the Khalsa Panth with the truth. I work here, to bring honor and justice to the world. When my work, will bring me back to India I will go until then I stay here. I don't let myself get boiled down in emotions,

but my homeland sings with the joy of thousands of years, of love, and peace. This land, in comparison is cold and desolate. In a better world, I would not even know what Canada is.

I sound like a pompous fool, saying what I said but it's the best way I can put it. Besdies saying, it's complicated.. Punjab, is in a terrible state right now I won't go into the details but you see China growing all around you. My home is at the worst stage it's ever been.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Yes, this is precisely what has happened in Indian cities too. People who moved out of India in the 1970s and 1980s were able to buy land or houses at cheap rates in the 1990s. Those who moved out in 2002-2003 or later, are in a completely losing position. The land prices in India are going up as fast as they save money, sometimes even faster.

SinghSher1984

Tihar Jail
Banned
Yes, this is precisely what has happened in Indian cities too. People who moved out of India in the 1970s and 1980s were able to buy land or houses at cheap rates in the 1990s. Those who moved out in 2002-2003 or later, are in a completely losing position. The land prices in India are going up as fast as they save money, sometimes even faster.
Politics is also helping create demand for it, I think it was delhi where people who used to live at site where they wanted to build rail station (maybe Mumbhai) were forced off land due to british act from 1897 or something. They were paid 2 rupee/sq ft. The comittee sold it to a developer for 13k/sq ft and now the money has gone missing.

They are opening India up to be plundered, that is creating demand and we know how that works.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles