Astrology Thread

Is astrology a science?

• Total voters

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
As per ancient scriptures, astrology is Vedanga or part of vedas which includes Shiksha, Vyakarna, Nirukta and Jyotisha. Jyotish is essentially a science of time determination for various acts and facets of life.
Ok, If you can predict the next Stock that will go up in the stock market i will give you 10,000 per question, if you fail will you give me all your money?

If your right even 50% of the time you can earn million in the stock market the truth is you cant even predict when you will burp next, if you can do that i will give you 10,000Rs. lol.

warriorextreme

Country flag
pre-requisite understanding of Shiksha (Phonetics), Vyakarana (Grammar), Nirukta (Philology), Nighantu (Vocabulary), Chhanda (Prosody), Jyotish (Astronomy), Kalpa and so on are critical for correct interpretation of the Vedas.

note that jyotisha does not mean predicting future...jyotisha is astronomy and bhavishya is future telling...Bhavishya has no relation with vedas.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Astrology thread..

As per ancient scriptures, astrology is Vedanga or part of vedas which includes Shiksha, Vyakarna, Nirukta and Jyotisha. Jyotish is essentially a science of time determination for various acts and facets of life.
Ok, If you can predict the next Stock that will go up in the stock market i will give you 10,000 per question, if you fail will you give me all your money?

If your right even 50% of the time you can earn million in the stock market the truth is you cant even predict when you will burp next, if you can do that i will give you 10,000Rs. lol.

pmaitra

Anybody interested in the Predictions of Nostradamus? I find that subject very fascinating.

warriorextreme

Country flag
Anybody interested in the Predictions of Nostradamus? I find that subject very fascinating.
those are prophecies not telling future about someone's marriage or career or how a day will go in someone's life...either way i won't get too much involved in any of these..

pmaitra

those are prophecies not telling future about someone's marriage or career or how a day will go in someone's life...either way i won't get too much involved in any of these..
They are future-telling in either case. That is what I meant.

pmaitra

i am no expert on this but did nastradomous read stars and planet movements or did he just have visions of these things?
I saw the movie, "The Man who saw Tomorrow" and in that, IIRC, he was looking into a Crystal Ball.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Astology isn't accurate but then some guys are able to predict with some what fair amount of accuracy. Hell shani ki sade sati is never good :p

warriorextreme

Country flag
I saw the movie, "The Man who saw Tomorrow" and in that, IIRC, he was looking into a Crystal Ball.
haha what really happened and what they show in movies/documentaries is never the same...but still i will say he had visions of future...

pmaitra

Astology isn't accurate but then some guys are able to predict with some what fair amount of accuracy. Hell shani ki sade sati is never good :p
Ok, I have already said Astrology is not a science. If you recall my earlier Avatar holding that Kalashnikov, do you remember rings on my finger? What does that say? I have faith.

Anyway, I know what Sade-Sati is. Saturn takes 29.5 years, well, approximately 30 years to go around the Sun. It spends 30/12 = 2.5 years in each of the 12 Zodical Constellations (ZC). So, Saturn hits the ZC preceding your native ZC, and then your native ZC and thereafter the ZC following your native ZC, so 3 ZCs in all, making it a 3x2.5 = 7.5 years of hell. You will be crushed from all angles and will suffer much torment. However, at the end of that period, the rewards shall follow.

This is same as per Hindu Astrology, Greek Astrology or Roman Astrology, although calculation schema vary a little.

have you experienced sade sati? :)
Anyone who is 30+ definitely has.

Edit: Sorry, I wasn't guessing any particular individual's age. I do apologize if it gave out that impression. I am doing simple math. That's all.

warriorextreme

Country flag
Ok, I have already said Astrology is not a science. If you recall my earlier Avatar holding that Kalashnikov, do you remember rings on my finger? What does that say? I have faith.

Anyway, I know what Sade-Sati is. Saturn takes 29.5 years, well, approximately 30 years to go around the Sun. It spends 30/12 = 2.5 years in each of the 12 Zodical Constellations (ZC). So, Saturn hits the ZC preceding your native ZC, and then your native ZC and thereafter the ZC following your native ZC, so 3 ZCs in all, making it a 3x2.5 = 7.5 years of hell. You will be crushed from all angles and will suffer much torment. However, at the end of that period, the rewards shall follow.

This is same as per Hindu Astrology, Greek Astrology or Roman Astrology, although calculation schema vary a little.
Ok the bold part is jyotish or astronomy (Science)...and remaining part is bhavishya(predicting future)

Anyone who is 30+ definitely has.
:lol:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
pre-requisite understanding of Shiksha (Phonetics), Vyakarana (Grammar), Nirukta (Philology), Nighantu (Vocabulary), Chhanda (Prosody), Jyotish (Astronomy), Kalpa and so on are critical for correct interpretation of the Vedas.

note that jyotisha does not mean predicting future...jyotisha is astronomy and bhavishya is future telling...Bhavishya has no relation with vedas.
Somewhat correct

pmaitra

Nomenclature of the days of the Week

Question to all: Why are the days of the week named after planets?

week-day (English)week-day (Olde English or Germanic or Anglo-Saxon)week-day (Indian)planet
SundaySunnandægRavi-warSun
MondayMōnandægSom-warMoon
TuesdayTīwesdægMangal-warMars
WednesdayWōdnesdægBudh-warMercury
ThursdayÞūnresdægBrihashpati-war
or Guru-war
(Brihashpati is also referred to as Guru)
Jupiter
FridayFrīgedægShukr-warVenus
SaturdaySæturnesdægShani-warSaturn

For further reading: Names of the days of the week - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pmaitra

Ok the bold part is jyotish or astronomy (Science)...and remaining part is bhavishya(predicting future)

:lol:
  • Jyotir-vidya = Astronomy
  • Jyotish-shashtra = Astrology

There is a slight difference between the two.

Note: 'Vidya' comes from 'veda' which means 'knowledge' and 'shashtra' means 'science;' however, I, personally, do not consider Astrology to be a science, I hold it as faith.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Question to all: Why are the days of the week named after planets?

week-day (English)week-day (Olde English or Germanic or Anglo-Saxon)week-day (Indian)planet
SundaySunnandægRavi-warSun
MondayMōnandægSom-warMoon
TuesdayTīwesdægMangal-warMars
WednesdayWōdnesdægBudh-warMercury
ThursdayÞūnresdægBrihashpati-war
or Guru-war
(Brihashpati is also referred to as Guru)
Jupiter
FridayFrīgedægShukr-warVenus
SaturdaySæturnesdægShani-warSaturn

For further reading: Names of the days of the week - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
From what I can remember now, Wednesday is named after Woden and Thursday is named after The Mighty Thor and so on. So a possible answer to your question is that the days were named after native Gods and these Gods had planets and/or stars associated with them. So the trend of associating the days with planets &/or stars continued even after the Gods more or less faded away. This is what I am guessing, the real answer may be far from my guess.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles