Astra BVRAAM

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
1. normally so called 4.5mach speed is the top/Max speed...when the rocket motor burn out , the most BVR missiles could reach this TOP speed, then the unpowered deceleration begins, that '4.5mach' thing is just a instantaneous velocity ...the two/multi pulse rocket motor powered missile could reach the top speed again when another pulse is ignited. we might have to introduce the average speed here (speed=kinetic energy) which might be much slower.

2. Metero is something like a cruise missile with an engine always on(then other MRAAM might be considered as the ballistic one roughly). so its top speed is not that high but the average/cruising speed is very considerable. it looks like that it could keep the high-energy state BUT the air-breathing layout also limits the maneuverability . the claimed NEZ actually is Debatable...

3. the so called super long range AA(or Surface to Air) missile concepts did exist...we might see something powered by a giant rocket or scramjet engine. but you might have to understand: for a hypersonic missile ,it flies at an over 5 mach speed during the most of the flight. at present those commissioned BVR missiles' average speed might be near/around 3 mach only.

BTW , the export varient of PL-15 MRAAM - PL-15E claimed a Max engage range of 145km.
AIM-120D seems to still have the 'dual thrust rocket motor' (not dual pulse), then that range thing is also Debatable.
You are totally right.
A classical booster missile max speed only occurs a couple of seconds. The average speed is far less (due to aerodynamic friction even in high altitude).
Meteor is selled as Mach4+ , but as the engine burnt all flight long (may be not at full power...) the average speed is said to be greater. And it don't have to reach higher altitude (for less friction) so the trip to target is smaller.
Only new air to air missile with second booster to re energize the speed near the target offered a last course high agility (not the case of AMRAAM or legacy MICA). A Meteor has an average speed over classical booster missile with a single booster and even with a second one (only active the very last seconds).
Time is money in economy, and time is death in weapons area.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
View attachment 174337

itne saare NOTAM ka koi info nhi,:megusta::balleballe:
Wait, I must be blind because I see absolutely no physical difference between Mk1 and Mk2 ? I initially thought Mk2 must be thicker and longer (that's what she said), but after a side-by-side comparison between Mk1 and Mk2 launches, they have practically identical bodies.

But that means Mk2 might only have a marginal improvement in range due to improved rocket propulsion.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Wait, I must be blind because I see absolutely no physical difference between Mk1 and Mk2 ? I initially thought Mk2 must be thicker and longer (that's what she said), but after a side-by-side comparison between Mk1 and Mk2 launches, they have practically identical bodies.

But that means Mk2 might only have a marginal improvement in range due to improved rocket propulsion.
I mean we couldn't see any difference between Dhanush and Bofors either. Maybe the Astra Mk2 is heavier, longer and thicker but we can't really tell? And it will have a new dual pulse motor so maybe they upgraded the propellant and the casing as well? But its not neccessary they be different either. All AMRAAM C/D variants are similar in dimensions and weight.

Hari Sud

Country flag
We are tow to tow with Chinese copy of BVRAAM. The whole issue is that whose missile is more reliable and who shoots the first plane. My honest opinion is that Chinese PL-15 is probably bad copy of either American or Russian missile. It has not seen light of the outside world, hence nobody can confidently say that it works and detaches from the fighter as needed and travels towards its target reliably. What happens next is upto the enemy fighter. He can dodge it or simply interfere with its electronics and lead it astray. A lot could happen when 150km distance is to be traveled. Only recently we saw 5 American AARAAM fired at Indian SU-30Mk1 during Pakistani Balakote retaliation, did not teach the mark. Three of these fell short and their spent tubes were recovered. Other two, I do not know, but did not hit the target.

Super falcon

Country flag
Following corrections are needed in your video
Currently their is no plan to integrate Astra on Rafale
VL-SRSAM is not a replacement for Barak-8 but for Barak-1. VL-SRSAM will be operated in tandem to Barak-8.
Yes but in future it is and astra will definately get integrated with most air defence systems of India may be new upcoming ships integrated with astra systems

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles