Astra BVRAAM

garg_bharat

Country flag
"सत्य कभी व्यंग का आधार नहीं हो सकता"
Recently Hauthi rebels fired R-27 on F-15 in Yemen as SAM from the ground which resulted in downing of mighty F-15. They were carrying theses missiles on motorcycle
Well integration of Astra with LCA is quite possible - but for Tejas 1A version which is supposed to come with AESA radar. The current ones - No.

Mig29UPG will definitely carry Astra in due time. Hopefully within months.

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
"सत्य कभी व्यंग का आधार नहीं हो सकता"
Recently Hauthi rebels fired R-27 on F-15 in Yemen as SAM from the ground which resulted in downing of mighty F-15. They were carrying theses missiles on motorcycle
Whoa, if i haven't got the incident wrong, in my knowledge the r 27 was fired from a truck or a technical or something....
And the f 15 was not downed, but returned to base with damages as per saudi airforce...
Leaving all that aside how would they mount a missile of that size on a motorcycle...
:confused1:

arkos

Country flag
Whoa, if i haven't got the incident wrong, in my knowledge the r 27 was fired from a truck or a technical or something....
And the f 15 was not downed, but returned to base with damages as per saudi airforce...
Leaving all that aside how would they mount a missile of that size on a motorcycle...
:confused1:
Just put the warhead and seeker part of missile on bike's exhaust and go full throttle. :clap2:

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
Just put the warhead and seeker part of missile on bike's exhaust and go full throttle. :clap2:
Better, remove the headlight cowl and instead fix a downrated EL/M-2052 radar with fewer TRM modules, fix the missile to the backseat in vertical launch configuration inside cannisters, use the exhaust gas instead of a gas generator to eject the missile ( just throttle to release the missile after target acquisition ) and there you have it....:cowboy:
It can also be deployed on mountainous terrain if off-road bikes (or better RE himalayan) are used...:yo:

garg_bharat

Country flag
India’s state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) concluded a deal on October 26 with Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) subsidiary Elta Systems for the purchase of 83 ELM-2052 active electronically scanned array (AESA) radars and ELL-8222WB electronic warfare (EW) suites to be integrated with the Mark-IA Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), according to local media reports.

The current Tejas 1 FOC has Derby missiles of 50km range. This is also BVR but much less than Astra's 100km range.

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
India’s state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) concluded a deal on October 26 with Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) subsidiary Elta Systems for the purchase of 83 ELM-2052 active electronically scanned array (AESA) radars and ELL-8222WB electronic warfare (EW) suites to be integrated with the Mark-IA Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), according to local media reports.

The current Tejas 1 FOC has Derby missiles of 50km range. This is also BVR but much less than Astra's 100km range.
I was asking why astra can't be integrated onto the current tejas airframes....?
Did i misunderstand your post ?

Tang

Country flag
Question was not about compatibility... One with strong will power can integrate Astra even with Motorcycle....
My original question was.... Previous news of 50 Astra missile order was a fake news and there might be talks or planning but no actual integration work of Astra missile was going on with Tejas or MiG 29 before Laddakh faceoff.
Joking right?
50 Astra missiles order was not fake

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Guys no confusion
50 lsp astra s were ordered,50 units of Astra BVR-AAM to be used for testing, trials, and integration into other fighter aircraft in near future and to also to niggle out production issues at early stages.

Later 248 astra are ordered....

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
248 Astra missiles have NOT been ordered. They have only been cleared by DAC. Remember DRDO AWACS was cleared by DAC in 2008 but till date nothing.
Astra missiles have to face lobby of Israelis, French, Russians missiles. Let's see how far Astra reaches!

Chinmoy

Country flag
PSUs done many projects and manufacturing ( small scale) without prior orders. LCH facility inaugurated by then DM Arun Jaitley back in 2017 but you know how many orders given on the ground.. so these gimmicks goes on nobuddy want to look lesser be it IAF or PSUs.
Whole world now came to know when 248 orders materialised but you can't give a Single decent proof where these 50 Astra missiles were ordered. No ceremony. no fan fare. Neither we see them on any platform..

So IAF want a War just to test Astra missile. Developmental trials, user trials are not enough for you. Great logic.
Tell me please which parameters can't be tested during Developmental and User trials ??
Is it your naivety or ignorance? Comparing missile with and aircraft is more then crooked enough of comparing Apple and Orange. Per piece price of a helicopter might be higher then a missile like Astra, but the integration process of Astra is far complex then LCH. You could use Kiran hangar to assemble Tejas, but same can't be said for any missile assembly line. I could go into technical details here, but I am sure that it would bounce off you. So lets take the easy way out here.
You want to see proof that IAF ordered it right?

"We have recently signed a contract for the development batch of several dozen Astra for Su-30MKI of the Indian Air Force," he said.
https://airrecognition.com/index.ph...first-batch-of-own-missiles-for-su-30mki.html

But wait, may be its still not convincing enough for you. So here is another one.

Speaking exclusively to Livefist, Dr. S. Christopher, Director General of the Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) said, “The IAF is extremely happy with progress and has ordered 50 versions of the missile we have proven so far in the prototype phase. That’s a big boost to the program even before series production has started.”
How India’s ASTRA Air-To-Air Missile Is Quietly Killing It

Now you are free to keep your pessimism with you and believe on whatever you think. As of me, I would believe on what I've seen and heard.

Coming to your next part of ignorance, user trial when done along with developers happens in a controlled environment. It does happen as per prescribed text book. In real war scenario before launching the missile, the operator would not open the text book and look out for perfect launching condition. He would launch it as per need irrespective of his or target flight altitude and angle of launch. So all of these tests and training are done by user and the readings are shared with developers for any fine tuning of the system if needed. For this particular reason LSPs are ordered which means funds gets sanctioned by user to developer. I am sure that these lines also might have bounced off you because you are pursuing a single line of thought process.
But yes, no matter how hard you test, the real capability of any weapon comes out in real war. Till then you just go by the specifications which designer prescribed to you.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Joking right?
50 Astra missiles order was not fake
yes, it was fake. They promised as usual but deal was never materialised
I will be a happiest person if IAF really ordered and will accept my mistake... no shame

Guys no confusion
50 lsp astra s were ordered,50 units of Astra BVR-AAM to be used for testing, trials, and integration into other fighter aircraft in near future and to also to niggle out production issues at early stages.

Later 248 astra are ordered....
If there is not confusion then show some authentic proof rather than IAF sponsored paid news. By the way this article published in March-2018 when even developmental trials were not completed and article says they even delivered

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
I will be a happiest person if IAF really ordered and will accept my mistake... no shame

If there is not confusion then show some authentic proof rather than IAF sponsored paid news. By the way this article published in March-2018 when even developmental trials were not completed and article says they even delivered
Drdo site says it's being inducted with su30.....

vishnugupt

Country flag
Is it your naivety or ignorance? Comparing missile with and aircraft is more then crooked enough of comparing Apple and Orange. Per piece price of a helicopter might be higher then a missile like Astra, but the integration process of Astra is far complex then LCH. You could use Kiran hangar to assemble Tejas, but same can't be said for any missile assembly line. I could go into technical details here, but I am sure that it would bounce off you. So lets take the easy way out here.
You want to see proof that IAF ordered it right?

https://airrecognition.com/index.ph...first-batch-of-own-missiles-for-su-30mki.html

But wait, may be its still not convincing enough for you. So here is another one.

How India’s ASTRA Air-To-Air Missile Is Quietly Killing It

Now you are free to keep your pessimism with you and believe on whatever you think. As of me, I would believe on what I've seen and heard.

Coming to your next part of ignorance, user trial when done along with developers happens in a controlled environment. It does happen as per prescribed text book. In real war scenario before launching the missile, the operator would not open the text book and look out for perfect launching condition. He would launch it as per need irrespective of his or target flight altitude and angle of launch. So all of these tests and training are done by user and the readings are shared with developers for any fine tuning of the system if needed. For this particular reason LSPs are ordered which means funds gets sanctioned by user to developer. I am sure that these lines also might have bounced off you because you are pursuing a single line of thought process.
But yes, no matter how hard you test, the real capability of any weapon comes out in real war. Till then you just go by the specifications which designer prescribed to you.
In Fact, You are comparing orange vs apple. I just gave an example for you ignorance where you literally overpassed many procedures for Defence acquirement. Like Contract Negotiation, contract signing, Who is paying, How much is paying, Hand over to costumer, Showing in Production book, atleast a photo on Mig 29, Tejas or even Su 30.
Per piece price of a helicopter might be higher then a missile like Astra, but the integration process of Astra is far complex then LCH. You could use Kiran hangar to assemble Tejas, but same can't be said for any missile assembly line.
Please dont assume thinks if you don't know.
And don't give these Rhetorical proof which has no meaning. BDL guy was just talking on some forum where he randomly said dozens of Astra If order was there then he must know exact number like we know today 248.
Here is an Article originally from Livefist by Your beloved writer Shiv aroor who say HAL already built 7 airframe of LCH and also giving account of HAL chairman. But only fools will believe that HAL actually made 7 airframe

Odd day:- Armed forces buy only after rigorous trials
Even day:- Armed forces buy first then do trials
Now even this trial in 'controlled environment" This mean you can control missile if its goes wrong its doesnt mean you are restricting missile performance. But according to you only WAR trials can validate a missile.
You can say fool, Naive, Moron or anything you like but you can't give me a proof of those 50 missiles order

Belagutti

Country flag

Sir are you a member of the Proof Gang ?

Chinmoy

Country flag
In Fact, You are comparing orange vs apple. I just gave an example for you ignorance where you literally overpassed many procedures for Defence acquirement. Like Contract Negotiation, contract signing, Who is paying, How much is paying, Hand over to costumer, Showing in Production book, atleast a photo on Mig 29, Tejas or even Su 30.
Show me contract negotiation, contract sign off of LSP for LCA.

Please dont assume thinks if you don't know.
And don't give these Rhetorical proof which has no meaning. BDL guy was just talking on some forum where he randomly said dozens of Astra If order was there then he must know exact number like we know today 248.
Here is an Article originally from Livefist by Your beloved writer Shiv aroor who say HAL already built 7 airframe of LCH and also giving account of HAL chairman. But only fools will believe that HAL actually made 7 airframe
Do you even know the general procedure of a solid fuel missile assembly.
By your logic since you have not seen it, it doesn't happen. End of discussion and again come back to comparing Helicopter assembly. Right?

Odd day:- Armed forces buy only after rigorous trials
Even day:- Armed forces buy first then do trials
Now even this trial in 'controlled environment" This mean you can control missile if its goes wrong its doesn't mean you are restricting missile performance. But according to you only WAR trials can validate a missile.
You can say fool, Naive, Moron or anything you like but you can't give me a proof of those 50 missiles order
Genuine question. Did you read properly what I have written in the first place? If not I am copy pasting it again. Do read it and if you can't understand (which I am sure of) just tell me.

Till 2017 IAF was a part of developmental and user trial. Firing a missile from an aircraft in test range is one thing and firing it in real war scenario is another. You have to take in account factors like at what AoA you are launching the missile. What is the behavior of the missile when launched from different AoA. What is the maximum G your fighter could deal with when carrying the missile on different pylons.
All of these tests are carried out by user with the initial LSP batch of missile.

vishnugupt

Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles