Astra BVRAAM

Super lca

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
It was not. This decision of ordering 250+ came only post extensive trial of those 50 LSP. I mentioned it earlier too that order would come only after extensive flight and fire trial of the 50 LSPs.
BTW thos 50 LSP was not just for test from Su30.
As of now the only reliable missile we have is astra and mica so more orders are expected

IndianHawk

Country flag
As of now the only reliable missile we have is astra and mica so more orders are expected
Mica only works with mirage and rafale. And has less range so will remain limited in numbers.

Astra plus newer variants of r77 will come in numbers . And derby ER will be bought in large numbers untill Astra mk2 comes along.

Super lca

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Mica only works with mirage and rafale. And has less range so will remain limited in numbers.

Astra plus newer variants of r77 will come in numbers . And derby ER will be bought in large numbers untill Astra mk2 comes along.
R27 to be specific

IndianHawk

Country flag
1000 r27 variants are already ordered I guess
Don't know the quantity exactly.
But we will use mix and match to confuse enemy ew.

Think about mig29upg with new potent ew suite and longer endurance going against paki f16 with a combination of Astra , rvvSD (110km+) and falcon Slayer r73s new version rvv mD ( 40km).

Similarly su30mki with Astra + rvvSD+ r27 with different seekers .

And lca mk1a with Astra + derby ER + asraam or rvvMD.

These diversified missiles will be a nightmare for enemy .

Akula

Country flag
Could you please provide us some sort of proof ??when this deal was signed?? 7 rounds were fired during Sep-2018 trial after that they announced will order 50 LSP missiles (Just announcement ). A year later Sep-2019 again missile fired 9 times so please tell me when these 50 missiles were delivered??
What is this extensive trials?? What is IAF doing since 2017 ?? Wasn't all trials happened from Su-30mki?? So what kind of extensive trails??
Why Astra need trails from all platforms?? Are we Developing Astra for jets or developing Jets for Astra?? Who else on earth do trails like this??
I read somewhere that these tests were with Indian seeker. Earlier they were using Russian seeker on Astra.

vishnugupt

Country flag
When Test Pilot for Tejas/LCA program is saying so, then its true
isnt it?
He might have told you 'work in progress' this could mean they are thinking of that but no work on the ground for sure. Integration of Astra missile is not a secret project.
We see Tejas pics on day to day basis. Derby integration, firing, IFR everything but never seen Astra on Tejas.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Bharat Dynamic Limited, a PSU build up a whole production line without a order? Either you have a very high regard for our PSUs or you are not aware of their DNA.
PSUs done many projects and manufacturing ( small scale) without prior orders. LCH facility inaugurated by then DM Arun Jaitley back in 2017 but you know how many orders given on the ground.. so these gimmicks goes on nobuddy want to look lesser be it IAF or PSUs.
Whole world now came to know when 248 orders materialised but you can't give a Single decent proof where these 50 Astra missiles were ordered. No ceremony. no fan fare. Neither we see them on any platform..

Till 2017 IAF was a part of developmental and user trial. Firing a missile from an aircraft in test range is one thing and firing it in real war scenario is another. You have to take in account factors like at what AoA you are launching the missile. What is the behavior of the missile when launched from different AoA. What is the maximum G your fighter could deal with when carrying the missile on different pylons.
All of these tests are carried out by user with the initial LSP batch of missile.
So IAF want a War just to test Astra missile. Developmental trials, user trials are not enough for you. Great logic.
Tell me please which parameters can't be tested during Developmental and User trials ??

garg_bharat

Country flag
PSUs done many projects and manufacturing ( small scale) without prior orders. LCH facility inaugurated by then DM Arun Jaitley back in 2017 but you know how many orders given on the ground.. so these gimmicks goes on nobuddy want to look lesser be it IAF or PSUs.
Whole world now came to know when 248 orders materialised but you can't give a Single decent proof where these 50 Astra missiles were ordered. No ceremony. no fan fare. Neither we see them on any platform..

So IAF want a War just to test Astra missile. Developmental trials, user trials are not enough for you. Great logic.
Tell me please which parameters can't be tested during Developmental and User trials ??
Yaar cool down.

If something is not in public domain, does not mean it did not happen.
Integration of Astra on Mig29 UPG and Tejas may be progressing.

But remember there is a technical challenge related to radar. The firing platform needs a powerful radar to track the bogey and send course correction commands to the missile while staying out of the envelope of missiles of enemy aircrafts. So LCA may need Uttam radar or Israeli AESA radar to fire Astra missile. I think Mig29 has a decent enough radar in UPG.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Yaar cool down.

But remember there is a technical challenge related to radar. The firing platform needs a powerful radar to track the bogey and send course correction commands to the missile while staying out of the envelope of missiles of enemy aircrafts. So LCA may need Uttam radar or Israeli AESA radar to fire Astra missile. I think Mig29 has a decent enough radar in UPG.
Yaar cool down.

Question was not about compatibility... One with strong will power can integrate Astra even with Motorcycle....
My original question was.... Previous news of 50 Astra missile order was a fake news and there might be talks or planning but no actual integration work of Astra missile was going on with Tejas or MiG 29 before Laddakh faceoff.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Ground trials on Mig 29 were already going on. Order for Astra has nothing to do with border tensions.
Please elaborate how to do Ground trials of an AAM ?? You means to say, missile has to fire from static MiG-29??
I want to clear one thing in advance when you develop a AAM missile you also develop Rack and Pylon. So what exactly they are testing on ground??

Border tension has to do with recent order in another way. Government is using this opportunity to thrusting down indigenous products through armed forces's throat.

Last edited:

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag

Maybe You are waiting for Mica NG....

Global Defence

New threads

Articles