Astra BVRAAM

IndianHawk

Country flag
Incorrect.

Every American fighter aircraft after F-14 was designed from the outset as unstable airframes with FBW.
The newest F-15E version is the F-15 Advanced, which features fly-by-wire controls.

This is from wiki. So older version probably didn't had fbw.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Don't put your trust in Wiki as a source. All F series aircraft have fly by wire after F-14.
I'm not trusting wiki. It's qouting Jane's defense for info.
The first version was f15C which was pretty basic .

Even the f15 E strike eagle had only triple redundant system compared to Tejas quadruple reduntat system . Not to mention all earlier fbw were analog compared to digital fbw for Tejas from get go.

So the larger point still stands. Lca as a platform is half a generation ahead than f15 .

armyofhind

Country flag

Even the f15 E strike eagle had only triple redundant system compared to Tejas quadruple reduntat system . Not to mention all earlier fbw were analog compared to digital fbw for Tejas from get go.

So the larger point still stands. Lca as a platform is half a generation ahead than f15 .
F-15 had a fly by wire system from the start Just like the Su-27.
The only difference was that on F-15, the FBW can be overridden to do some emergency maneuvers which might damage the aircraft, which is not possible in aircraft like the F-16 or M2000.

The point was whether F-15 had FBW or not.

And whether a FBW is triple or quadruple redundant isn't that much of a difference really. It all depends on how the systems have been routed through the airframe to allow for redundancy in case of damage from combat.

IndianHawk

Country flag
The only difference was that on F-15, the FBW can be overridden to do some emergency maneuvers which might damage the aircraft, which is not possible in aircraft like the F-16 or M2000.

And whether a FBW is triple or quadruple redundant isn't that much of a difference really. It all depends on how the systems have been routed through the airframe to allow for redundancy in case of damage from combat.
No the point was whether something developed in 2010s ( Astra seeker) can be better then something developed much before ( aim120c5 seeker).

If there was no difference in triple and quadruple redundancy no one would develop it and no one would waste money to implement it. But everyone did so!

I used fbw just to make a point . I could point out to many such things but this is not the topic at hand.

We are behind USA in propulsion tech our seeker tech is almost catching up. Astra seeker will only be behind of aim260 seeker which is yet to enter service . But it's propulsion is behind 120d which entered service years ago.

IndianHawk

Country flag

I'll need a source of f15 fbw claim now that we are into it! First version was f15C remember . So a source with f15c having fbw is required.

armyofhind

Country flag
I'll need a source of f15 fbw claim now that we are into it! First version was f15C remember . So a source with f15c having fbw is required.
Check for control augmentation system on F-15C. Electronic intervention on pilot input to control surfaces. Nothing but fly by wire.

I'll see if I can fish out some resources on the same.

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Man even the first ever prototype of f16 ever takeoff was flying by fbw. And the the fbw reduces the pilot load, not the fighting ability of the fighter.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Man even the first ever prototype of f16 ever takeoff was flying by fbw. And the the fbw reduces the pilot load, not the fighting ability of the fighter.
It was you who mentioned f15 vs Tejas! Not me. Why start debate if you can't handle the facts.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Check for control augmentation system on F-15C. Electronic intervention on pilot input to control surfaces. Nothing but fly by wire.

I'll see if I can fish out some resources on the same.
I will wait for authentic source no rush here.

IndianHawk

Country flag
The Eagle has a secondary control called the Control Augmentation System (CAS) that is FBW-based. It works in unison with the primary hydromechanical system for optimum control stability but can take over for the hydromechanical system if it should fail. I think the same setup goes for both the C and E models.

AFAIK the only Eagles with FBW for normal flight ops are the testbeds (the ACTIVE F-15 for example) at Eddie or NASA Dryden

This from 2005. Even in 2005 only a few f15 C had fbw. CAS is not proper fbw only a secondary control.

But hey here is more even f15C is not original f15. That was f15 A!! Which had no fbw at all. So yes f15 initial version had no fbw . Only by 2010 majority of f15 got fbw with upgraded versions. The same time lca was test flying with digital quadruple redundant fbw. That's the benefit latest program get over older.

Anyway This is off topic . But perhaps this example helps in understanding why Astra seeker is better than aim120c5. Hope it's clear now.

Bajirao

Country flag
Everybody in defence news circle saying that astra mk2 will be a dual pulse motor based.but if you watch "rstv security scan bvraam" penalist saxena cleary stating that although drdo gave an option of dp motor for mk2 to air force but the latter choose sfdr for mk2.now my question to "dp motor for mk2" theorist,is there any evidence or atleast hint that your theory is right? or it's just a speculation?

Bajirao

Country flag
For astra mk2 ,a sfdr based missile will take max. 3-4 years extra time than a dp based missile.for 3-4 year devolopment of a new missile makes no sense.it will be a waste of money and manpower...........I still think dp based mk2 is a myth and mk2 is going to be sfdr based.the initial r&d which started from 2013 was only for the propulsion system and demonstrating the initial success probably in 2017/18 mod. sanctioned full missile devolopment project as astra mk2.But i can't confirm my theory and have to wait some time.anyway if mk2 is dp based drdo should start the testing from 2020.for dp every tech is already in drdo hand.so, there should not be late too much

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Everybody in defence news circle saying that astra mk2 will be a dual pulse motor based.but if you watch "rstv security scan bvraam" penalist saxena cleary stating that although drdo gave an option of dp motor for mk2 to air force but the latter choose sfdr for mk2.now my question to "dp motor for mk2" theorist,is there any evidence or atleast hint that your theory is right? or it's just a speculation?

I think Astra Mk2 dual pulse was killed off by IAF to pave way for imports. Now Jingos have revived it by wishful thinking.

There is no indication that IAF has even placed orders for (200?) Astra MKI except for 1st 50. But Jingos turn hope into reality while Military turns any procurement into import

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles