Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Narendra s rawat

Country flag
When OFBs were unionized during Indira Gandhi rule.
Ofb workers mentality sucks.i have visited ofb Dehradun who basically manufacture artillery and weapons sights.
Norinco replica of acog t31 will be so much better than what ofb was displayed.
ofb workers were presenting there sights in such a manner that other than them there are no one in world even thought about that scope can be mounted on rifle.

Akula

Country flag
Ofb workers mentality sucks.i have visited ofb Dehradun who basically manufacture artillery and weapons sights.
Norinco replica of acog t31 will be so much better than what ofb was displayed.
ofb workers were presenting there sights in such a manner that other than them there are no one in world even thought about that scope can be mounted on rifle.
My friend did a internship in OFB Dehradun and was disappointed with the attitude of employees their. They never allowed him near the machines nor they showed him anything. Lekin, Mashal jala rahe the protest par.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
My friend did a internship in OFB Dehradun and was disappointed with the attitude of employees their. They never allowed him near the machines nor they showed him anything. Lekin, Mashal jala rahe the protest par.
When you have no competence/Aukat this is what you resort to do!!
Remember, empty vessels make the most noise.

Narendra s rawat

Country flag
Basically all the ofb factory have same mentality raw talent who are passionate about this field get crushed by old and incompatant people doing basic screw job thinking country own them for there service.
The ofb have become burden to indian taxpayer they have 5 to 10 times manpower than Sig new hemisphere factory towards rifle manufacturing.
The rate and quality of there rifle often lag behind.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Anyone know about reason why Sig sauer didn't participate in carbine competition.
It did, it placed its SiG-516 but because the CAR-816 was designed by ex H&K and SiG Sauer designers hence it was asked by Caracal to them to make CAR-816 better than both the H&K HK416 And SiG-516 so obviously 🙄 CAR-816 had to win the tender, what surprises me is, that the same men made CAR-817 supposedly made better than both H&K HK417 and SIG SAUER SiG-716 was not chosen or I guess it didn’t take part in the battle rifle competition.

Can someone send me the info of the contenders of the Battle rifle and carbine selection competition (coz the assault rifle competition was scrapped and AK-203 was straightaway purchased without prior tests coz it is a Kalashnikov hence its obvious that it can meet the requirements of any army in the world).

EDIT: I found that SiG-516 was discontinued last year in 2019:hehe:.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
It did, it placed its SiG-516 but because the CAR-816 was designed by ex H&K and SiG Sauer designers hence it was asked by Caracal to them to make CAR-816 better than both the H&K HK416 And SiG-516 so obviously 🙄 CAR-816 had to win the tender, what surprises me is, that the same men made CAR-817 supposedly made better than both H&K HK417 and SIG SAUER SiG-716 was not chosen or I guess it didn’t take part in the battle rifle competition.

Can someone send me the info of the contenders of the Battle rifle and carbine selection competition (coz the assault rifle competition was scrapped and AK-203 was straightaway purchased without prior tests coz it is a Kalashnikov hence its obvious that it can meet the requirements of any army in the world).

EDIT: I found that SiG-516 was discontinued last year in 2019:hehe:.
Dayum!! Main stream media is only concentrating on Caracal 816, and not any other carbines like galil seriously!!
I really think, due to diplomatic pressure from Uae, I just think this deal will come to reality!!

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Dayum!! Main stream media is only concentrating on Caracal 816, and not any other carbines like galil seriously!!
I really think, due to diplomatic pressure from Uae, I just think this deal will come to reality!!
Galils are fukin expensive, please you and me should bear the extra costs that MoD will have to pay🙂.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Galils are fukin expensive, please you and me should bear the extra costs that MoD will have to pay🙂.
For bulk orders the cost comes down dramatically, this is also acknowledged by Mr. Rk Sharma a manager in Punj Loyd systems. By the way he is on twitter!!

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
For bulk orders the cost comes down dramatically, this is also acknowledged by Mr. Rk Sharma a manager in Punj Loyd systems. By the way he is on twitter!!
I have talked to him a lot of times, but a Galil’s per unit cost is higher than a CAR-816 similarly bulk orders of CAR-816 will bring cost down.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Latest video from kalashnikov!!
Damn I have say AK74 is still today a very capable and amazing weapon of choice!! Wow I am impressed with AK74!!

Vikas Lohia

Country flag
Hi Guys, I'm new here. This is my first post so go easy on me :rofl:

What bothered me so much to come here and post is Assault rifles which the Indian army is trying to acquire in bulk for infantry. Now as I understand, there is a minimum of 4 types of rifles with different calibre in various stages of acquisition. I don't get it. Shouldn't Infantry have one standard rifle? Like China has standardised on 5.8x42 for their entire military? Even Pakistan is, more or less, sticking with 7.62*54 or 7.62 NATO. So why are we doing this obvious mistake? Will it not be a logistic nightmare?

A team of soldiers in the field must have standard ammunition. It helps to make sure that soldiers can exchange bullets when they run out during battle. Some differences can exist, snipers and machine gunners need heavier calibres but the infantry rifleman should be armed with the same calibre of bullets. This doesn't seem to be happening. Different factions seem to be fighting within the procurement department of the military.

What am I missing? Is there any logic behind this move that I'm unable to see?

shade

Country flag

What bothered me so much to come here and post is Assault rifles which the Indian army is trying to acquire in bulk for infantry. Now as I understand, there is a minimum of 4 types of rifles with different calibre in various stages of acquisition. I don't get it. Shouldn't Infantry have one standard rifle? Like China has standardised on 5.8x42 for their entire military? Even Pakistan is, more or less, sticking with 7.62*54 or 7.62 NATO. So why are we doing this obvious mistake? Will it not be a logistic nightmare?

A team of soldiers in the field must have standard ammunition. It helps to make sure that soldiers can exchange bullets when they run out during battle. Some differences can exist, snipers and machine gunners need heavier calibres but the infantry rifleman should be armed with the same calibre of bullets. This doesn't seem to be happening. Different factions seem to be fighting within the procurement department of the military.

Did you come from r/india?
You did come from r/india didn't you?

Vikas Lohia

Country flag
Did you come from r/india?
You did come from r/india didn't you?
Yes, but I did have this concern from quite some time now. I did not realize this problem was so severe until after coming across that post on r/India.

We are really acquiring 4 or more types of rifles?

Narendra s rawat

Country flag
Yes, but I did have this concern from quite some time now. I did not realize this problem was so severe until after coming across that post on r/India.

We are really acquiring 4 or more types of rifles?
3 to be exact
images (17).jpeg

Sig 716

Calibre-7.62x51mm NATO
Range-600m to 800m
Operator - frontline troops deployed near border

images (18).jpeg

AK 203 to replace insas.

Caliber-7.62x39mm Russian
Range-300m to 400m
Operator - non-frontline troops

images (19).jpeg

Car816(not decided) for replacement for saf carbine 2a1.

Caliber-5.56x45mm NATO
Range-200m to 250m
Operator- support troops

Killbot

Country flag

A single team will have weapons of the same caliber save for LMG and Carl Gustaf. The different weapons are meant for different theaters and roles.

Is it still a clusterfuck?

Yeah.

Global Defence

Articles