Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Any news about Astr defence weapons? Idk why they don’t have any website social media account or PR considering their weapons look ultra modern.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-theme="dark"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Astr Defence rifle INDRA is a modular platform which with some certain changes can be transformed into five different systems for different need:<br><br>1) 7.62*51 mm Battle Rifle<br>2) 7.62*51 mm SAW<br>3) 7.62*51 mm DMR<br>4) 7.62*39 mm Assault Rifle and<br>5) 5.56*45 mm Carbine <a href="https://t.co/vil1qXmatE">pic.twitter.com/vil1qXmatE</a></p>&mdash; Vinod DX9 (@VinodDX9) <a href="">June 14, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Order cancelled!!!!!
My prediction might come into reality!!
Caracal with ToT produce around 20-25% of the carbine requirements!!
The rest are IWI products just like LMG requirements!

Killbot

Country flag
No it doesn't. The 6.8 has more velocity and energy at longer distancez because of aerodynamics of the bullet. It loses much less energy due to less drag. Think of 7.62 as a rock and 6.8 as a javelin. You know which travels longer and which has more energy at closer distances...
@Vishalreddy3 @FalconSlayers
@Bleh hope this clears why 6.5/6.8 is a universal cartridge.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
No it doesn't. The 6.8 has more velocity and energy at longer distancez because of aerodynamics of the bullet. It loses much less energy due to less drag. Think of 7.62 as a rock and 6.8 as a javelin. You know which travels longer and which has more energy at closer distances...
Nah!! I still have my doubts, 7.62mm Nato is far stronger and has better range than 6.8mm.

Killbot

Country flag
Nah!! I still have my doubts, 7.62mm Nato is far stronger and has better range than 6.8mm.
Stronger, yes. Has more range, no. Because of much greater drag. Refer ballistics of both at 1000m for a comparison.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Order cancelled!!!!!
My prediction might come into reality!!
Caracal with ToT produce around 20-25% of the carbine requirements!!
The rest are IWI products just like LMG requirements!
I couldn’t understand you

first...
which order cancelled

second...
what do you mean by 20-25% requirements?

third...
what do you mean by rest are IWI arms?

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
I couldn’t understand you

first...
which order cancelled

second...
what do you mean by 20-25% requirements?

third...
what do you mean by rest are IWI arms?
*Astr Defence order cancelled!
*Caracal order of 93,000 is around 20% of the carbine requirements
*since Indian products are grounded(Not sure yet), then IWI products are the backbone of the carbine requirements, since they field the most products (Arad, Galil ACE, Carmel)

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
*since Indian products are grounded(Not sure yet), then IWI products are the backbone of the carbine requirements, since they field the most products (Arad, Galil ACE, Carmel)
When was Astr defence order done, for it to be cancelled?

They only exhibited some models at Defence expo 2020. Is there any future development regarding that?

Killbot

Country flag

They only exhibited some models at Defence expo 2020. Is there any future development regarding that?
Those rifles were probably mockups. Hadn't been fired, even, imo

Vishalreddy3

Country flag

I mean, their products were removed from the competition since they didn't meet the IA standards.
The future development is that they concentrate on the CAPF and state police markets, and probably the export market in the future.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
When did Astr defence was given any contract To begin with?

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
I mean, their products were removed from the competition since they didn't meet the IA standards.
The future development is that they concentrate on the CAPF and state police markets, and probably the export market in the future.
Is SSS defence carbine variant in competition?

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
If Indian Army can adopt AK-203 (actually AK-103M,that's what we're getting) then i don't see much issue with such upgrades to INSAS

1603212199210.png

And this upgrade was done by FAB Mods guys of Israel,providing a hinged railed top cover, side folding buttstock with adjustable cheek piece, their pattern of tactical pistol grip and railed handguards etc

Oh and yes of course, FAB style 5.56mm Magazine that they seem to have specifically made for us (straight from their 7.62x39mm magazine named ULTIMAG) as i don't happen to see it anywhere else, not on their website or other palce on Internet

pics of FAB Defense Ultimag from where they may have made this 5.56mm magazine for INSAS, me think

Last edited:

Killbot

Country flag
Wrong Comparison,
You should compare 7.62x51mm NATO with 6.5x48mm Creedmoor that is a Full Length Round, not 6.5x39mm Grendel which is kinda between 7.62x39mm and 5.56x45mm NATO as an Intermediate Round
No, I intended to compare .308 to the 6.5 Grendel I.e. 6.5*39mm not Creedmoor. To show that 6.5 is better at longer distances than .308. Of course 6.5 CM would be even better.
Grendel outperforms all other intermediate cartridges, including 6.8 SPC at ranges over 400m. Outperforms 7.62 NATO at ranges more than 600m.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Complete list of all the RFIs and RFPs for rifles issued.
RFI RIFLES COMPILATION.JPG

Source: http://ficci.in/spdocument/23180/small-arms-report.pdf

IMP thing to note is other than FTP of 72400 rifles from (which has a repeat order), there is another RFI of more than 5.5 lakhs 7.62*51 mm assault rifles.
Earlier I remember that when Gen Rawat was COAS, he gave a press conference, where he said these will be procured through indigenous source. He was most probably referring to OFB 7.62*51 rifle.

Anyone knows what is the progress on that tender?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles