Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Genetal Dynamics Next Generation Squad Rifle (NGSW) RM277 = Machine gun + rifle

The weapons use what General Dynamics’ describe as a ‘gas and recoil operated, impulse averaged, air cooled’ system. With both the rifle and AR being magazine fed from box magazines – this again is a departure away from rival designs, with both Textron and SIG Sauer both utilising belt feeds.

The suppressor appears to use their flow through design. General Dynamics note that the suppressor will last the life of the barrel it is mounted on and that the design “minimizes flash and reduces sound levels to less than the requirement”. They also confirm that their prototypes are within the US Army’s weight requirements.

The weapons use standard AR-15 compatible pistol grips with an ambidextrous safety selector positioned as in the AR-15/M16/M4. This retains some familiar features from weapons soldiers will already be familiar with, however, semi or fully-automatic selection is done by a laterally sliding selector just above the safety. The prototypes appear to have stamped aluminium upper receivers and forends with two prominent take down pins, one just in front of the pistol grip assembly and the other in the rear of the receiver. There is a 12 o’clock picatinny rail and numerous MLOK mounting points. The design moves away from the AR-15/M16’s classic T-charging handle and instead has a side-switchable charging handle located above the barrel. It is unclear if the direction of ejection can be switched, but this seems a probable feature. The AR prototype has a slick-looking bipod which is angled to attach onto the forward-angled forend and folds up quite flush with the bottom of the weapon (see photo below). There does not appear to be any means of adjusting the weapons’ length of pull.

As mentioned earlier the weapons use a ‘gas and recoil operated’ system, while General Dynamics have not gone into detail of how this works they do mention some interesting features. Publicity materials describe “shot recoil, impulse averaging technology” which minimises recoil loads and weight and enables controllable automatic fire – which is abundantly demonstrated in their promo video below. This is said to give the weapons reduced felt recoil optimal for accurate long range engagements. Perhaps the most interesting feature, however, is that the weapons use a dual firing system – firing from a closed bolt when in semi-auto and from an open bolt when in full-auto, to aid cooling.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...s-next-generation-squad-weapon-the-rm277/amp/

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Yaaaaa!
That’s my article abt Bakshi sir in the link.

I’m gonna nudge you again tomorrow. <devil😈>.
Wld love to get your feedback on the MOST DANGEROUS GUN.
Will post it here tomorrow.

I think last I ws on DFI to show u my article on TAVOR.
I torture u a lot i guess. 😄
That article is a blockbuster!! Keep up the good work! 👍

But hey! Why the dickens do you keep disappearing from DFI? I know you are a Twitter bug, but DFI is the place to be!! 😊

Levina

A feminist who is a Doval fan
Country flag
@Mikesingh @AUSTERLITZ
Wanted to show you guys my article about the deadliest gun for OBUA—Hk416F.
Would love to know your feedback on this.
It will help me improve. :) 👍

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@Mikesingh @AUSTERLITZ

Why do they spoil the existing acronyms .... FIBUA to OBUA .... how does that differ... ?????

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
@Mikesingh @AUSTERLITZ

Thats a nice interview,very little to add.HK416 indeed is probably the best gun in the world atm.Sadly its too costly for us.It combines the reliability of a gas piston system with accuracy and finish of a traditional AR16 series rifle.

Levina

Country flag
Why do they spoil the existing acronyms .... FIBUA to OBUA .... how does that differ... ?????
Actually outside India it is called OBUA. So Indians who train with the Brits and Yanks do end up using OBUA.

Levina

Country flag
Thats a nice interview,very little to add.HK416 indeed is probably the best gun in the world atm.Sadly its too costly for us.It combines the reliability of a gas piston system with accuracy and finish of a traditional AR16 series rifle.
True.
It’s expensive.
In any case those who dont see a lot of “action”, don’t need HK416.
Unlike France and Norway, India doesn’t need to make it a standard issue. Not even to SF!
That will be illogical. Thanks for sparing time to read my article. :)

abhay rajput

Country flag
What is the cost ..? Just for my knowledge

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Actually outside India it is called OBUA. So Indians who train with the Brits and Yanks do end up using OBUA.
Do not you think the Americans are overpowering and famous for tampering with British English.... with language comes ideas, concepts, culture, and dominance of mind.

So American Rambo would call it MOUT that covers the larger sphere of application of military destructive power to a terrain type rather than an area. For them, it is not fighting in Belfast but raging Mosul to the ground.

For us Kalu Indians it is mostly going to be FIBUA in suburbs of Srinagar or Kohima or Mokokchung or Raipur. No MOUT unless we enter Pakistan...:crazy:

vampyrbladez

Country flag
@Mikesingh @AUSTERLITZ

@Levina Madam,

The HK416 is based on the AR 18 style Short Stroke Piston system.

It bleeds off the excess hot gases when pushing a spring plunger that connects to the bolt carrier.

The rifle has a distinctive pistol grip, butt stock and a flared magazine well.

Immanuel

Country flag
It’s not a AK. Uses the same caliber. It’s a new design completely.
Great job on the new products. May I suggest to revamp the company website, please. Looks like it was made by a 5 year old child. Perhaps you guys can collab with Tonbo to market products together.

Also while I am glad with the tests happening, are there any confirmed orders? You are more likely to find buyers outside India than in India. A company can only survive if there are orders and for orders one needs good marketing. Perhaps another way is to market to the US and make Semi-auto versions for the civilian market there. Heck you can even make Gold plated versions to sell for very premium rates. Just some thoughts.

abhay rajput

Country flag
$3000 with integrated optics,1800 bare approx .Prices may vary with country and variant.
So can't we spend 1800 dollars for a rifle . ? I mean it will cost close to 3 billion dollars for more than 15 lakh soldiers over the span of years. I seriously think that in 5 billion dollars we can make at least half of our military modern.

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
So can't we spend 1800 dollars for a rifle . ? I mean it will cost close to 3 billion dollars for more than 15 lakh soldiers over the span of years. I seriously think that in 5 billion dollars we can make at least half of our military modern.
Thats nearly double of what we get and without optics.
The biggest problem was army didn't want 5.56 calibre,right choice for us.
The sig716 treadi is a solid weapon.HK416 being 5.56mm was not in the race.

abhay rajput

Country flag
Yes you are right. But my point was if army really want to modernize then they start with foot soldiers. It can be done with 5 billion dollars spent over 5 years. Moreover we only need to import rifles, BPJ, helmets are already made into India. Right now we only have 1-2 lakh decently equipped soldiers

piKacHHu

Country flag
Question:
In SCAR-H/SIG716 has gas regulator for suppressed and unsuppressed shooting however, for DI rifles, as there is no piston or perhaps no regulator on the gas block; then how does the suppressed firing is managed? In other words, how are the functions of gas regulators of piston based rifles is achieved in DI based rifles in suppressed firing mode?

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
Question:
In SCAR-H/SIG716 has gas regulator for suppressed and unsuppressed shooting however, for DI rifles, as there is no piston or perhaps no regulator on the gas block; then how does the suppressed firing is managed? In other words, how are the functions of gas regulators of piston based rifles is achieved in DI based rifles in suppressed firing mode?
You'll have to ask an expert on rifles which is not me.Gessler, maximus, abingdonboy etc.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles