Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hari Sud

Country flag
The write up above does not conclude anything except it explains the virtues of Denel anti material rifle.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
The write up above does not conclude anything except it explains the virtues of Denel anti material rifle.
it's very old article dating back to 2005 and i specifically posted it to mention how recoil dampening mechanism works on the NTW-20 with that image.

devhensh

it's very old article dating back to 2005 and i specifically posted it to mention how recoil dampening mechanism works on the NTW-20 with that image.
Thank You !! For posting this old but excellent article, and it does conclude few things for me ....period !!!

Firstly, the sentence from article "The NTW-20 gives a user a cannon capability in a rifle configuration " ...speaks volumes....

Unlike the run of the mill, so called Anti Material Rifles in .50 BMG(12.7×99mm NATO), this bad boy comes 20x82mm and 14.5 x 114mm....both significantly more powerful than .50 BMG......This extra velocity / Energy is very useful in penetrating hard targets (bunkers/shelters like on LOC), light armoured vehicles and Radars etc.....

It's recoil mechanism is unique (uses hydraulic system)...and is very versatile(3 calibers) ....And, how many 20mm, man portable canons...do we know exist ??

Imagine, this weapon being carried by two operators(barrel & receiver,two back packs), who are a part of a SF team, who have infiltrated an enemy airfield.....While a diversionary attack is mounted, they quickly assemble this weapon and start picking out the watchtowers followed by the the Hellos/ Aircraft.......no sanbagged watchtower/bunker is safe and they can hit them from a standoff distance(out of range of enemy machine guns)....Then they melt away in darkness ....awesome !!!

Another scenario... two teams of operators (two such rifles)..Take out the first and last vehicles of the enemy HVT(high value target)....One 20mm each through, engine block(fireball) and then pick off each vehicle in the stranded convoy...total massacre !!!

Then, many believe that this gun is too heavy to be mobile and deployed quickly.....I was one of them, till a defence professional pointed me towards this (I was told that this is a real Denel NTW-20 gun, but obviously, the ammo is not)

Last edited:

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter

[///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Alright folks,

I found something interesting about Tavor-7 which i think i should share with you.

Watch this video

So,When IWI was marketing about Tavor-7 being 'fully ambidextrous',they also meant ambidextrous ejection as in this gun one can easily swap the side it ejects spent cartridges from right to left or vice versa by simply opening and closing respective dust covers,or as it appears from this video.

What i think the procedure behind that could be is this
- you disassemble whole weapon,put the bolt in other direction with extractor and ejector facing other sides than before (i.e. 180° from default) then reassemble it and swap off those dust covers to make it eject on other side

Plus,two videos i found on internet showing firing in semi auto and full auto

Notice the Controllability of this gun,as i think it is very much similar to SCAR-H

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag

So apparently it is possible to use FAL magazines with FN SCAR-H with some modifications.

With L1A1 SLR mags,they might also need a notch in backside for actuating bolt catch/bolt hold open,since L1A1 SLR doesn't have last round bolt hold open.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
IWI tavor shotgun......................................................

Haldiram

Country flag
Alright folks,

I found something interesting about Tavor-7 which i think i should share with you.

Watch this video

So,When IWI was marketing about Tavor-7 being 'fully ambidextrous',they also meant ambidextrous ejection as in this gun one can easily swap the side it ejects spent cartridges from right to left or vice versa by simply opening and closing respective dust covers,or as it appears from this video.

What i think the procedure behind that could be is this
- you disassemble whole weapon,put the bolt in other direction with extractor and ejector facing other sides than before (i.e. 180° from default) then reassemble it and swap off those dust covers to make it eject on other side

Plus,two videos i found on internet showing firing in semi auto and full auto

Notice the Controllability of this gun,as i think it is very much similar to SCAR-H

The ARX 160 also has that two-side ejection feature. ARX 160 also handles well.

But it was rejected by India because the laser wasn't good. The OFB Ishapore lobby won this round.

devhensh

Another new and very interesting LMG " Light Assault Machine Gun by Knight's Armament"

What set's it apart is that, it practically has no recoil, and is very accurate. Most of the recoil is cancelled using a principle called constant-recoil principle(invented by Jim Sullivan and and earlier uses in Ultimax 100 LMG)

Just watch the vedio, in which the owner of the company and a very famous gun designer himself, fires it with using just two wrists...Superb !!!

http://www.recoilweb.com/recoiltv-f...e-gun-by-knights-armament-company-132895.html

Last edited:

bhramos

Country flag

Kchontha

Country flag
Ak is always accurate in short distance but longer its bullets travel it's spray and pray types of rifles. However some claimed that this deficiency is shorted out in ak 103. Let's wait and see.
How Good is AK's accuracy ???

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Kchontha

Country flag
Is Sig sauer arriving at the front line?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
what do you mean by surplus .................................................................................
look there is no standard ak in our forces
i feel 203 will change that

the initial order that will be produced will go to the army and the units that use only aks

next order which i feel will be used as surplus will go toward standardization of ak with all the forces be it paramilitary and othrs

there ar some units in our forces that uses different caliber than ak so these will be exception.

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
This isn’t how it works anymore.

People still saying stupid things like “new rifles go
To army then army gives their old rifles to CAPFs etc”

No. It doesn’t happen now, all units have their own procurement systems and clearly CAPFs have a more efficient one considering they have FAR more
Modern weapons than the frontline units of the army today.
i have never said that the old army rifles will go to the capfs

pls read it again

i said

the first order or the initial order will be supplied to the army

all i wanted to say that ak 203 will be a standard ak as we have multiple ak models in our forces

abingdonboy

Country flag
i have never said that the old army rifles will go to the capfs

pls read it again

i said

the first order or the initial order will be supplied to the army

all i wanted to say that ak 203 will be a standard ak as we have multiple ak models in our forces
As of now CRPF has not ordered 203, only the IA has.

Anyone can order the 203 thereafter.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles