Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
Honestly these curiosity pieces with customizations on the basic AK platform seem more targeted towards the commercial market than adoption by a military force. What works well on range days twice a month won't necessarily work well for a rifleman deployed in the field.

The M1/M14 were good traditional wood-and-steel battle rifles, the US Army struggled with the platform for 20 years to make it into a decent sniper platform, the so called M21. It wasn't until the 1980s that they gave up and adopted M24 SWS, what the Marines did in the 60s with their M40. Point is more often than not it doesn't end well when trying to adapt a rifle that works well in its designed role into something else.

IMO the best AK derived platform built from the ground up is the SG55x series. Seems to have the right balance of everything for a service rifle.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Honestly these curiosity pieces with customizations on the basic AK platform seem more targeted towards the commercial market than adoption by a military force. What works well on range days twice a month won't necessarily work well for a rifleman deployed in the field.

The M1/M14 were good traditional wood-and-steel battle rifles, the US Army struggled with the platform for 20 years to make it into a decent sniper platform, the so called M21. It wasn't until the 1980s that they gave up and adopted M24 SWS, what the Marines did in the 60s with their M40. Point is more often than not it doesn't end well when trying to adapt a rifle that works well in its designed role into something else.

IMO the best AK derived platform built from the ground up is the SG55x series. Seems to have the right balance of everything for a service rifle.
The gun looks really similar to a Sig 556xi 7.62x39 pistol.

Sig 556xi (7.62/39)

Stump Scheule Defence (7.62/39)

Holy Triad

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The gun looks really similar to a Sig 556xi 7.62x39 pistol.

Sig 556xi (7.62/39)

Stump Scheule Defence (7.62/39)

Idk,if you look closely,the optics is mounted on a dust cover. Means ak200 esque system,where dust cover swings open(ak type receiver)

Where as,in sig556,which is two part system(separate upper and lower receiver).

Anyway the hand Guard with modern iron sights looks awesome...

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Idk,if you look closely,the optics is mounted on a dust cover. Means ak200 esque system,where dust cover swings open(ak type receiver)

Where as,in sig556,which is two part system(separate upper and lower receiver).

Anyway the hand Guard with modern iron sights looks awesome...
I was having my own doubts but a short piston in an AK? That's what has me confused.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
It’s not a AK. Uses the same caliber. It’s a new design completely.
How come there are no videos of how SSS product line performs?

Understandable that India doesn’t have domestic market for assault rifles, but doesn’t it make sense to make a video of putting the product thru it’s paces like mud test, barrel cook off, grouping at various ranges with different ammo variants etc etc.

Since there are no such videos of indian made weapon systems, SSS will be a trend setter..

Assuming that these are planned to be exported from India at some point in time.

padmaraj

Country flag
How come there are no videos of how SSS product line performs?

Understandable that India doesn’t have domestic market for assault rifles, but doesn’t it make sense to make a video of putting the product thru it’s paces like mud test, barrel cook off, grouping at various ranges with different ammo variants etc etc.

Since there are no such videos of indian made weapon systems, SSS will be a trend setter..

Assuming that these are planned to be exported from India at some point in time.
They are undergoing TOP testing with various divisions. Will post videos at a later point.
The 5.56/45 and 7.62/51 are on the same planform for commonality.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
They are undergoing TOP testing with various divisions. Will post videos at a later point.
The 5.56/45 and 7.62/51 are on the same planform for commonality.
Just to be clear I am not talking about videos of some random guy firing a few shots and saying “what a beaut!!!”

I am talking about a proper review by a credible gun reviewer.

All the best for the ongoing testing..

padmaraj

Country flag
Just to be clear I am not talking about videos of some random guy firing a few shots and saying “what a beaut!!!”

I am talking about a proper review by a credible gun reviewer.

All the best for the ongoing testing..[/QUOTE

The company will open a range for Indian gun enthusiasts to come and test .
You are welcome to test i

plastic not real no trigger may be a model
trigger assembly kept out. Undergoing ambidextrous magazine release tests

AnantS

Country flag
Yeh dekho iska Judwaa!

WAC - 47

Note to SSS Defence, try changing the dust cover design if possible.

@OFB, your monopoly days are numbered.
to my untrained eyes apart from similar magazine design - both designs are quite different.

@padmaraj : Mate best of luck! Do keep us posted about your innovation (whatever you can publicly post). Now be prepared for highly unsolicited non expert keyboard rangroot opinion: Though I agree with @vampyrbladez here - ejection port dust cover looks like INSAS or AK series(older) - may could made more flush like AK 15, but hey if it works and satisfies user requirements - then why change.

again congrats. Good Job

Edit: Saw your company Brochure. So is this rifle one of the many gun platforms that have come up in collaboration of Lewis Machines & Tools?

vampyrbladez

Country flag
to my untrained eyes apart from similar magazine design - both designs are quite different.

@padmaraj : Mate best of luck! Do keep us posted about your innovation (whatever you can publicly post). Now be prepared for highly unsolicited non expert keyboard rangroot opinion: Though I agree with @vampyrbladez here - ejection port dust cover looks like INSAS or AK series(older) - may could made more flush like AK 15, but hey if it works and satisfies user requirements - then why change.

again congrats. Good Job

Edit: Saw your company Brochure. So is this rifle one of the many gun platforms that have come up in collaboration of Lewis Machines & Tools?
It uses an AK caliber (7.62x39) with a short stroke piston. Only guns I can think of that does this are the SKS and the WAC 47. The Chinese have developed something very similar, tentatively called the QBZ 191.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...a-new-standard-rifle-and-what-we-know-so-far/

uoftotaku

Country flag
It uses an AK caliber (7.62x39) with a short stroke piston. Only guns I can think of that does this are the SKS and the WAC 47. The Chinese have developed something very similar, tentatively called the QBZ 191.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...a-new-standard-rifle-and-what-we-know-so-far/
The legendary Vz.58 was the first application to marry short stroke piston system with the M43 7.62x39 round

Till date of the many different attempts made to match its reliability with that round, I don't think anyone has come close. Which is why most still stick to the bog standard long stroke AKM action

vampyrbladez

Country flag
The legendary Vz.58 was the first application to marry short stroke piston system with the M43 7.62x39 round

Till date of the many different attempts made to match its reliability with that round, I don't think anyone has come close. Which is why most still stick to the bog standard long stroke AKM action
Thats an over complicated attempt to refine a simple design like the AK.

uoftotaku

Country flag
Thats an over complicated attempt to refine a simple design like the AK.
Well the Czechs never intended to use the M43 round in the first place. They had developed their own 7.62x45mm round which was actually put into service in their Vz.52 (SKS equivalent). The Vz.58 was supposed to be the automatic assault rifle upgrade using the same round. But the Soviets enforced Warsaw Pact commonality and the Czechs had to shelve their own round (which was in any case only marginally superior to the M43). But they still insisted on their own weapon as they wanted to preserve their excellent industrial weapons base...only reason why CZ exists until today and makes their own designs rather than AKM derivatives like Arsenal and Zastava

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles