Asian giants promise jobs, trade

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Asian giants promise jobs, trade

Sushma cites 'Act East' and 'renewed Africa policies'

Sixty years after the Bandung Conference, China, Japan and India are opening their wallets, and perhaps their hearts, to woo Asia and Africa — signalling how developmental economics has upstaged the non-aligned doctrine that was the flavour of the day in 1955.

In his keynote address at the Asian African Conference here, Chinese President Xi Jinping, announced duty free access to 97 per cent items produced in the Least Developing Countries, that have diplomatic ties with China.

The Chinese President also attempted to bolster his country's Soft Power, by offering to train 1,00,000 people in developing countries in Asia and Africa over the next five years.

He reiterated his country's focus on integrating and developing the economies of Eurasia under the Silk Road initiative. China has deployed a $40 billion Silk Road fund, and has played a leading role in forming the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), which will be used to develop infrastructure along the Asian leg under the "belt and road" plan.

Bolstered by its pioneering role along the Silk Road, President Xi advised industrialised countries not to tie political conditions to their aid to developing countries. He also called for injecting positivity in international relations, which should be based on fairness, and seek win-win outcomes.

At the summit, India also showed that it had fresh ideas to re-engage developing countries in Asia and Africa. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj noted in her address that considering they were part of its extended neighbourhood, India had launched the "Act East" policy towards Asia, complemented by the "renewed Africa policy." India was also collectively engaging Africa under its flagship India-Africa Forum Summit, whose third edition would be held in October this year.

Japan, China's main regional rival, launched its charm offensive targeting the Afro-Asian cluster that had assembled in the Indonesian capital.

"Asian and African nations are no longer Japan's aid recipients," said Shinzo Abe, Japanese Prime Minister. "They are now Japan's partners for growth." He pointed out that Tokyo would offer industrial training and technology to 3,50,000 people throughout the region. The Prime Minister added that trade deals under negotiations, such as the Trans-Pacific Partnership, Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership and Free Trade Area of the Asia-Pacific "will all eventually head toward Africa."

Xi-Abe meet

The summit provided an opportunity for a 29 minute, one-on-one exchange between President Xi and Premier Abe. At the end of the meeting, which analysts said signalled recognition by both countries of the need not to derail ties, Mr. Abe sounded statesmanlike. "The development of relations between our countries is in the interests of the people of Japan and China," he observed. "By promoting strategic, mutually beneficial relations, we contribute to the stability and prosperity of the region and the world."

China, Japan, India woo Asia, Africa in Jakarta - The Hindu

sob

Mod
Country flag
With the softening of the Japanese Yen, Japan is now emerging as a serious contender to China for exports of Hi Tech items.

Recently Mexico cancelled a deal with China for Bullet Trains after China had emerged as the lowest bidder. According to some sources due to weakening of both Euro and Yen, the Mexican Government is hoping to get state of the art technology at prices which would be very close to the Chinese price.

amoy

Good news >> Japan regains lead as top US Treasury debt holder - Taipei Times

Japan overtook China in February as the top foreign holder of US Treasury securities, a position Japan last held in August 2008.

In its monthly report on bond holdings, the US Department of Treasury said on Wednesday that total foreign holdings of Treasury debt dipped 0.9 percent in February to US$6.16 trillion, down from a record of US$6.22 trillion in January.

The holdings of China, normally the top holder of Treasury debt, slipped 1.2 percent to US$1.22 trillion. Japan's fell 1.1 percent from January.

China's decline was a bit larger, allowing Japan to jump into the top spot, US$700 million above China.

nimo_cn

Country flag
With the softening of the Japanese Yen, Japan is now emerging as a serious contender to China for exports of Hi Tech items.

Recently Mexico cancelled a deal with China for Bullet Trains after China had emerged as the lowest bidder. According to some sources due to weakening of both Euro and Yen, the Mexican Government is hoping to get state of the art technology at prices which would be very close to the Chinese price.
it's not over yet, Mexico will open another contest for its high speed train project, it's too early to see who will win.

China may lose this time, or maybe next time, but China will keep trying until we win. to indians, that is just a club you will never get in.

several years ago when China started building high speed train lines, people were skeptical, especially indian posters here. we had fierce arguments over the feasibility and profitability of HSRs in China. indian posters kept calling Chinese HSR white elephant back then, citing low attendance rate.fortunately, HSR now has been proved to be success in less than a decade.

the irony here is that Indians are also planning HSR project in their own country, and they are celebrating. Gee, I still remember the way you trashed HSR projects.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk 2

bose

Country flag
it's not over yet, Mexico will open another contest for its high speed train project, it's too early to see who will win.

China may lose this time, or maybe next time, but China will keep trying until we win. to indians, that is just a club you will never get in.

several years ago when China started building high speed train lines, people were skeptical, especially indian posters here. we had fierce arguments over the feasibility and profitability of HSRs in China. indian posters kept calling Chinese HSR white elephant back then, citing low attendance rate.fortunately, HSR now has been proved to be success in less than a decade.

the irony here is that Indians are also planning HSR project in their own country, and they are celebrating. Gee, I still remember the way you trashed HSR projects.

Madam, a quick question... from which country did you imported the high speed technology ??

I read somewhere that the Chinese railway engines are dud...

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
Madam, a quick question... from which country did you imported the high speed technology ??

I read somewhere that the Chinese railway engines are dud...
Japan, German, France and Canada, it's a well known fact that China paid a good fortune for the HSR technology.

it's also well known that China is operating the fastest HSR in the world, which runs on Chinese dud engines.

anupamsurey

Country flag
i would not make the mistake of calling chinese engines dud. they are just maintenance intensive and have short life (unusually), they break down too often and this piece of news is from the best pal of china (Pakistan). well India will probably never trust chinese Items, because of their unreliability. thats whey India has put down the proposal of high speed train from china.

Khagesh

Lady I really hope you are young, because we are going to take some time but we will own the bloody house itself, where you people run your kitty parties.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Lady I really hope you are young, because we are going to take some time but we will own the bloody house itself, where you people run your kitty parties.
you people talk big, but do little. that only happens only in your wet dream.

bose

Country flag
Japan, German, France and Canada, it's a well known fact that China paid a good fortune for the HSR technology.

it's also well known that China is operating the fastest HSR in the world, which runs on Chinese dud engines.

That is too scary !!

bose

Country flag

If Chinese were also given the freedom to speak, they will also do the same...

In India no one tells me what to say and what not to say...

Khagesh

You really don't wanna know what happens in my wet dreams.

amoy

Rather than routine platitudes on Afro-Asian cluster blah blah, what shall be highlighted in Bandung is the rare Xi-Abe meet.

Sino Japan relations must overcome obstacles and be improved asap. Now Japan has become one of most popular destinations for Chinese tourists, replacing Malaysia and Hongkong SAR "¦ indeed a positive signal.

Otherwise the much touted CJK FTA that's supposed to match EU in size would remain handicapped.

~Tapa talks: Orange is the new black.~

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles