Ashdoc's movie review---Yeh jawani hai deewani

ashdoc

Country flag
I went to see this movie to see Ranbir Kapoor inch closer to superstardom.....
After all ,the Khans are getting old and are looking jaded and we need fresh blood to be injected into the star system....
....And Ranbir for now looks like the best bet for that purpose , especially after his performances in Rockstar and Barfi---maybe he will fulfill the hopes that Hrithik Roshan dashed a decade ago , of supplementing if not replacing the Khans...

And I think the audience went for that reason too....
Of course , they also went to see the magic of his pairing with ex flame Deepika Padukone.....

.....For the audience response to this movie at least on the opening weekend has been simply thunderous....
There were not tickets available for any shows of this movie in my regular multiplex on Sunday , or in any theater for miles around.....
Ultimately I had to go a long distance to see this movie....

So was it worth all the trouble I took to see this movie ??
Lets see....

The director reveals his mediocrity by inserting an item number by Madhuri Dixit just after the beginning of the movie---not only does Madhuri look old but the item number looks totally out of place ; one of the most pointless item numbers I have seen....

The movie reveals itself to be nothing new---
the boy ( Ranbir ) is someone who has his heart on his sleeve and is endlessly in search of new girlfriends to screw , which is something that he accomplishes with aplomb.....and it goes without saying that this is exactly what Indian men would like to do , at least in their youth.....
and the girl ( Deepika ) is studious and nice and caring and a homely and in search of true love and of the type that wants to remain loyal to only one man---which is exactly what Indian men would like their women to be.....

So is their anything new in this ??---nothing actually.....
In fact havent we seen this in endless movie after movie---superflirt boy meets good character girl....

So they meet and go to Manali ( shot in Gulmarg in Kashmir actually , as Kashmir chief minister Omar Abdullah wants to remind us ) and have a helluva time---they enjoy , they go trekking on a mountain on which ghosts are supposedly present , they get into fights with locals , they drink and they make merry.....

Along with them is the lovely Kalki Koechlin who looks stunning in every scene and Aditya Roy Kapoor who seems to be destined to play semi tragic roles.....

And the inevitable happens---the girls fall in love with the guys....

But while they are all having a ball in Manali , is the audience enjoying it all ??
To be honest , at least I was not greatly impressed by these scenes---they can be called all right but nothing fantastic....

Coming to the story , do the guys respond to love ??

At least in Ranbir's case , the answer is definitely no....
He is filled with wanderlust , and wants to travel and film the world....
And has no time for homebody Deepika.....
So she senses his lack of attachment and never confesses her love and he goes off to foreign lands....

And Kalki too realises her mistake and ceases to follow Aditya who is destined to be a drunkard ( is that going to be his fate in all films he acts in ?---I hope not.... )

But they are all destined to come together eight years down the line in Kalki's wedding with another man---in the lake palace of Udaipur which is a now a five star hotel no less ( in Karan Johar's world supply of money is never a problem ).....

So will old flames be rekindled ?? And who will respond to true love ??
Go and watch the movie for that....

The real magic lies of the film in the scenes between Ranbir and Deepika---and the scenes get better and so does the magic as the movie nears its end.....
The two look really good together , and one wonders why Ranbir's parents are opposing the pairing in real life....here's hoping they come together again the future in real life ; to hell with Rishi and Neetu Kapoor's opposition.....

But the rest of the movie does not work well---it is too long and tedious and is stretched too much....

Of course , it panders shamelessly to every indian man's dream---after having fun with all the loose women all over the world they want a vestal virgin waiting for them back home.....

The film gets better towards the end with some genuine moments but the mid part is lengthy and somewhat slow....
.....And havent we seen the shaadi baraat scenes in all of Karan Johar's films---again they are repeated while showing Kalki's wedding but I found nothing new in them either.....

So will Ranbir Kapoor become superstar ?? Judging from the hordes coming to see this film he will become one in future I suppose.....

But this is not really the film that I would like to remember as having made him a superstar---its simply not that great....
Till a better film comes , .the superstardom can wait....

Verdict---decent .

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
I did not like the movie

I would give this movie 2/5.

My verdict: Decent but very boring, do not live up to the the meaning of its title.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles