Ashdoc's movie review---Tanhaji , the unsung warrior

ashdoc

Country flag
The movie shows Ajay Devgan play Tanaji Malusare , the Maratha warrior who was instrumental in the recapture of the fort of Kondhana from the Mughals by the forces of Shivaji maharaj .

However , the history of what actually happened has been considerably changed in the movie . The entire movie has considerable fiction though some touch with what had really happened has been barely maintained somehow .

The one major plus point of the movie is that it gives publicity to Tanaji Malusare in regions of India outside Maharashtra in a similar manner in which the movie 'Bajirao Mastani' gave publicity to Bajirao . Thus warriors popular in Maharashtra but little known outside it now have become known outside Maharashtra . This has been helped by the tremendous box office success of both movies .

The fort of kondhana was defended for the Mughals by it's Rajput commander Udaybhan , who was nothing but a soldier doing his job in real life . But in the movie the character of Udaybhan has been raised to the status of a villain by the acting of Saif Ali Khan . He has kidnapped a Rajput widow with whom he was in love before her marriage and she and her brother play a part in helping Maratha forces capture the fort by keeping Udaybhan distracted---all completely fictional and no such Rajput widow ever existed .

Amazingly , in the movie Tanaji makes a trip to the fort even before he actually captures it---needless to say , all this is completely fictional . Also completely fictional is the huge cannon called 'naagin' ( female cobra ) which Udaybhan has towed to the fort and has pointed towards Shivaji's capital Rajgad .

The character played by Shivaji is relatively sidelined in the movie ; his mother Jijabai has relatively more prominence . The movie is dominated by the rivalry between the character played by Ajay Devgan ( Tanaji called Tanhaji in the movie ) and the character played by Saif Ali Khan ( Udaybhan Rathod ) . Saif hardly looks like a Rajput warrior . His clothes are almost completely black like a muslim warrior .

Kajol plays Tanaji's wife and she looks and acts nicely . Acting by Ajay Devgan and Saif Ali Khan in their respective roles is decent without being spectacular . Colours and photography are decent while songs and background music are okay . The film has some well directed action scenes of fighting between the opposing forces .

As a hindu nationalist I liked the prominence given to the bhagwa jhenda ( saffron flag ) of Hinduism in the movie . Inspite of all the changes made by the movie makers to the real story of the capture of kondhana , the movie was entertaining enough for me to forgive the radical changes made to the history I had heard since childhood .

Verdict---Decent .

Three stars out of five .

Last edited:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
4.5 stars out of 5 from me for direction, background score and narration.
Good performance from Ajay Devgn, Award winning performance from Saif ali khan,

Akula

Country flag
The movie shows Ajay Devgan play Tanaji Malusare , the Maratha warrior who was instrumental in the recapture of the fort of Kondhana from the Mughals by the forces of Shivaji maharaj .

However , the history of what actually happened has been considerably changed in the movie . The entire movie has considerable fiction though some touch with what had really happened has been barely maintained somehow .

The one major plus point of the movie is that it gives publicity to Tanaji Malusare in regions of India outside Maharashtra in a similar manner in which the movie 'Bajirao Mastani' gave publicity to Bajirao . Thus warriors popular in Maharashtra but little known outside it now have become known outside Maharashtra . This has been helped by the tremendous box office success of both movies .

The fort of kondhana was defended for the Mughals by it's Rajput commander Udaybhan , who was nothing but a soldier doing his job in real life . But in the movie the character of Udaybhan has been raised to the status of a villain by the acting of Saif Ali Khan . He has kidnapped a Rajput widow with whom he was in love before her marriage and she and her brother play a part in helping Maratha forces capture the fort by keeping Udaybhan distracted---all completely fictional and no such Rajput widow ever existed .

Amazingly , in the movie Tanaji makes a trip to the fort even before he actually captures it---needless to say , all this is completely fictional . Also completely fictional is the huge cannon called 'naagin' ( female cobra ) which Udaybhan has towed to the fort and has pointed towards Shivaji's capital Rajgad .

The character played by Shivaji is relatively sidelined in the movie ; his mother Jijabai has relatively more prominence . The movie is dominated by the rivalry between the character played by Ajay Devgan ( Tanaji called Tanhaji in the movie ) and the character played by Saif Ali Khan ( Udaybhan Rathod ) . Saif hardly looks like a Rajput warrior . His clothes are almost completely black like a muslim warrior .

Kajol plays Tanaji's wife and she looks and acts nicely . Acting by Ajay Devgan and Saif Ali Khan in their respective roles is decent without being spectacular . Colours and photography are decent while songs and background music are okay . The film has some well directed action scenes of fighting between the opposing forces .

As a hindu nationalist I liked the prominence given to the bhagwa jhenda ( saffron flag ) of Hinduism in the movie . Inspite of all the changes made by the movie makers to the real story of the capture of kondhana , the movie was entertaining enough for me to forgive the radical changes made to the history I had heard since childhood .

Verdict---Decent .

Three stars out of five .
Sirji, can you please give review of Shikara movie. It was excepted that it will be another secularism thopo movie.

ashdoc

Country flag
Sirji, can you please give review of Shikara movie. It was excepted that it will be another secularism thopo movie.
Yeah I will watch and review as soon as I get time .

Chimaji Appa

A lot of it is very innacurrate IMHO.
1. Udaybhan was a dignified man who never harrassed women. He wore a saffron turban and not a Pathan one.
2. Udaybhan killed Tanhaji in a duel, and Udaybhan was stabbed in the back by Tanhajis uncle or brother.
3. The Marathas actually outnumbered the Mughals.

lcafanboy

Country flag
Radhe Movie Detailed Review:

I know you guys dont know him . But i have a friend who have been on wheelchair most of his life. And today he stood up to switch off the tv while watching this movie....

IMG_20210515_181259.jpg

Summary

Guys be safe!!

Early trends show that both covaxin and covishield have zero efficacy against Radhe....

#moviereview

Sigmamale101

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
A lot of it is very innacurrate IMHO.
1. Udaybhan was a dignified man who never harrassed women. He wore a saffron turban and not a Pathan one.
2. Udaybhan killed Tanhaji in a duel, and Udaybhan was stabbed in the back by Tanhajis uncle or brother.
3. The Marathas actually outnumbered the Mughals.
Intention is to show Marad Maratha here :)subtle Propaganda using 21st century digital cinema. Facts doesn't matter anymore :tsk:
there's nothing wrong with little bit of fiction though but there is a thin line between reality & fiction & when censor board had to jump in to remind you that....you know something is wrong...very very wrong. Rajputs unfortunately got in the way of this myth making of Deccani lobby this time. Panipat the great Betrayal was another such comedy. Brace yourself for more such comedy under Deccani Swaraj.

He was stabbed by enraged tanhaji uncle though after Udaybhan beat him to death in a duel.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles