Ashdoc's movie review---Notebook

ashdoc

Country flag

Zaheer Iqbal plays Kabir Kaul , a young Kashmiri pandit who had been forced out of Kashmir valley in childhood by separatists . He had joined the Indian army on growing up , but a tragic incident involving the death of a young Kashmiri boy made him leave the army . His father used to run a school in Kashmir before being forced out , but both his house and his school were protected by his Kashmiri friend . Now the caretaker of his house is getting old and calls him back to take over the house and the school .

After reaching Kashmir Kabir realises that the school is located in the middle of a remote lake and can be reached only by boat . No facilities are available , but what is striking is the beauty of the place . He gathers students to again come to school and comes to know that previously they had been under the tutorship of a Kashmiri female teacher , Firdaus ( Pranutan Bahl ) . And he discovers the notebook left by Firdaus in which she had penned her thoughts . As he daily reads the notebook he comes to know the personality of Firdaus through the book and the thoughts penned in it . As he reads more he begins to fall in love with Firdaus without having met her even once .

Kabir soon manages to win the heart of his students by his affable nature . He reads in Firdaus' book that one of her students was forbidden by his father to study as he wanted him to become a gun toting separatist . Kabir meets his mother in the father's absence and convinces her to send the boy back to school , just as Firdaus had wanted . But his own performance as a teacher has not been up to the mark and Kashmir administration decides to remove him and he leaves to join a course of learning how to teach . But not before he has penned his own thoughts and his own experiences in the remaining pages of Firdaus' notebook . And admitted his love for her in writing .

Firdaus has been forced by her boyfriend to quit her job in the school , but since then her marriage plans with him have evaporated due to his cheating . Kashmir authorities give her the chance to replace Kabir as teacher in the school and she is only to happy to do so . On reaching the island school she sees the notebook and is shocked by the confession of love written by someone she has never met in her life . However as days pass by she reads the experiences penned by Kabir and his copying of all that she had done there and begins to like his personality . As she reads what he had done in the school and sees the affection that the school kids have for him , she begins to fall in love with Kabir .

The novel idea of two people loving each other only on reading each other's thoughts but without meeting each other even once was intriguing to say the least . And the beauty of the Kashmir photographed so well and with a decent musical score was making me fall in love with the film . So do the two lovers get to meet each other at all ? Watch the movie for the answers .

The harsh reality of militancy in Kashmir forms a distant backdrop for the film and comes to confrontation only in the climactic scene of the film . And gets solved in a manner that aficionados of poetic justice would approve . Acting is decent by everyone without being spectacular . The film is a poetic way of drilling a simple lesson into Kashmiri minds---just drop the gun .

Verdict---Super .

Four and a half stars out of five .

Last edited:

Skdas

@ashdoc : Sir have you seen Romeo Akhbar Walter..? I would like to co-write a review with you on that.

ashdoc

Country flag
4.5 stars lol

Brothelwood copied another beautiful movie and inserted Hindu,Muslim, Kashmir and what not and final result is disaster (already) :pound:

Go and watch original

Since it shows Hindu boy Muslim girl love , what is the problem ? It's a good movie flopped only because cast is totally unknown newcomers .

Sikhbrah

Country flag
That is why i call (Indians)Hindus are the most dumbest people on earth...... u are happy because of one angle and u forgot about other 9 angles in the movie (90% brothelwood movies are like that only).

i didn't watch even trailer but based on your review i know what movie subtly propagates ...

Indian army killing innocent muslim kids in Kashmir....this is what porkis&kashmiris propagates all the time

yeah yeah muslims are protecting Hindu houses/properties .... yup, that is why only Kashmir Hindus left the place and are terrified to go back even after 30 years

and usual propaganda terrorism has no religion innocent kashmirs are suffering more from separatists and also by Indian army.
To be fair, this movie isn’t as bad as the current slate of Bollywood movies showing Muslims as progressive lover boys eg. Kedarnath and Kalank.

Bollywood trying hard to normalize Muslims as potential partners for Hindu girls.

ashdoc

Country flag
That is why i call (Indians)Hindus are the most dumbest people on earth...... u are happy because of one angle and u forgot about other 9 angles in the movie (90% brothelwood movies are like that only).

i didn't watch even trailer but based on your review i know what movie subtly propagates ...

Indian army killing innocent muslim kids in Kashmir....this is what porkis&kashmiris propagates all the time

yeah yeah muslims are protecting Hindu houses/properties .... yup, that is why only Kashmir Hindus left the place and are terrified to go back even after 30 years

and usual propaganda terrorism has no religion innocent kashmirs are suffering more from separatists and also by Indian army.

The tragic incident is about a young boy from POK crossing the LOC and upon seeing the hero as soldier armed with gun , the boy gets afraid and runs towards LOC and trips over a mine thus getting killed . The Indian army is not shown killing innocents .

In fact Kashmiri muslims are shown attacking the hero's father's house and the father's friend faces threats from them when he tries to protect his Hindu friends . But only he is shown to be different than other Kashmiri Muslims .

Also the movie has no vulgarity and flesh show or hot dances and yet is good .

vampyrbladez

Country flag
The tragic incident is about a young boy from POK crossing the LOC and upon seeing the hero as soldier armed with gun , the boy gets afraid and runs towards LOC and trips over a mine thus getting killed . The Indian army is not shown killing innocents .

In fact Kashmiri muslims are shown attacking the hero's father's house and the father's friend faces threats from them when he tries to protect his Hindu friends . But only he is shown to be different than other Kashmiri Muslims .

Also the movie has no vulgarity and flesh show or hot dances and yet is good .
Bhai please review RAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ashdoc

Country flag

ashdoc

Country flag
//////////////////////////////////////////////

ashdoc

Country flag

ashdoc

Country flag
How did you like it? It's averaging 73% likability on Book my show last weekend...
Yeah it's good . Slow to pick up pace and moves languidly . You have to be patient to get the high of nationalism that comes only in the climax . But the wait is worth it and is rewarded well in the end . A real spy movie for aficionados of espionage during war .

Several burkha clad Muslim ladies were watching the movie in the theatre maybe because the hero plays a patriotic Muslim and stood standing as vande Mataram was played in the end while hindus were busy moving out of the cinema hall . I stood too . Nice experience .

Skyh3ck

Eros Now and Jio Cinema has released Narendra Modi web series..

Great quality and great performance. .. please watch ...

Also I will go and watch Vivek Oberoi movie PM Modi in theater..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles