Ashdoc's movie review---Kai po che

ashdoc

Country flag
Kai po che---thats what Gujaratis are supposed to say when the rope of their kite cuts the rope of somebody else's kite---at least thats what I gathered from a scene in the film....

So is the film a celebration of Gujarati culture and Gujarati entrepreneurship by Bollywood ?? A show of what Gujaratis have achieved through their hard work and their skills ?? A film about the vibrancy of Gujarat and the economic heights to which Gujaratis have reached ??

Naah---its something more mundane.....

Its part of the regular media gameplan to demonise the hindu nationalist forces repeatedly, and its a part of the Bollywood plan to earn more moolah by appeasing minorities so that the film runs well in Pakistan and the middle east , and it is part of the larger conspiracy to show hindu nationalist ruled states and especially Gujarat as hotbeds of communal tension where minorities are under attack .

So whats the plot ??

Three friends open a cricket academy , and their chief find is a boy named Ali who is destined to be a great cricketeer . But various events like the Gujarat earthquake and Gujarat riots intervene to seemingly wreak havoc with their plans . And also shown are their personal trysts and defeats and triumphs .

So do they show the terrible Gujarat earthquake ?? Not really , the main concentration is on the fact that minorities did not receive aid from the hindu nationalist govt in the aftermath of the earthquake.....

And of course , the Gujarat riots are shown with gusto---fully in line with the media's and intellectual class's habit of harping repeatedly about the Gujarat riots to the exclusion of everything else .

Graphic shots are shown of hindus killing muslims and of hindu nationalist inspired violence .

One of the three friends loses his parents in the burning alive of kar sevaks in the train at Godhra . Now why didnt they not show that incident at all ?? Oh , thats because in this case the minorities were at fault.....

Now that friend goes along with a hindu nationalist mob to kill the future cricketeer Ali and Ali's father in revenge for the killing of his parents in Godhra . Its upto the two other friends to stop him....

So can they stop him ?? Go and watch the movie for that....

Yes , the Gujarat riots were a terrible thing . But is that the only thing about that state worth highlighting ??

And does Bollywood have the guts to show events like the great Calcutta killings that led to the partition of the country in 1947 but were started by minorities ?? Naah.....

At least Gujaratis should see through this gameplan of repeated vilification of their state because it is ruled by the hindu nationalist forces .

On a better note---some part of Gujarati culture like dandiya is well shown . The only girl in the movie is not only pretty but is also ' forward ' in the sense that she takes the lead in not only wooing her boyfriend but taking him to bed....
Are all Gujarati women similarly ' forward ' ?? Must try befriending some.....:D

Verdict---depends really on how politically inclined you are , or even how politically aware you are . Many folks would find it a good movie . I being right wing by my political beliefs found it just about okay....

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Well, director should not have included that bias scene about not helping muslims after Earth-Quack, that scene is very much objectionable. This never happened, everybody helped each other at that crucial time, I feel it's an insult of Gujjus, no gujju thinks such chu-pa at such disastrous time. As that thing is also not in the book, even my many friends say that he didn't show the train burning incident in detail and main character doesn't die in the end but he really manipulated the story a lot. But I don't think that train incident is much necessary but it's definitely one sided. Acting was good though.

Shirman

Country flag
^^^^^^ Well said brother this movie is very much biased......I visited Gujarat some two months back n also during 2001 earthquake......everybody was helping anybody and people were actually giving examples of Gujarati community's unity.....Gujarat riots are unfortunate but i guess people should not only portray that anti-muslim riots only happen in Gujarat.......recently just today ABP news was showing a package on UP riots under AkhileshYadav n Samajwadi party rule......people really are over-stretching when it comes to Gujarat...........

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Chetan Bhagat, enough said

:puke: :puke: :puke:
Chetan Bhagat's book doesn't even mention those biases the movie shows. I read the book and it's not at all biased. Riots happened, we accept it, but director should have put real things instead of this BS media stories.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Chetan Bhagat's book doesn't even mention those biases the movie shows. I read the book and it's not at all biased. Riots happened, we accept it, but director should have put real things instead of this BS media stories.
It doesn't matter what book mentions. Rational people should stay away from anything even remotely relates to Chetan Bhagat. He is the trash of this generation.

Having said that, movies are art. They can show anything they want.

Sent from Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles