Army Major caught spying for Pak, tip-off came from US

sandeepdg

New Delhi: Around the time last month when the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) was alerted about the possibility of one of their officers being involved in espionage, another sensitive counter-intelligence operation involving the Ministry of Defence (MoD) was in progress.

For over two weeks now, top Government sources say, an Army Major has been kept in "safe custody" of the Military Intelligence (MI). The officer -- posted in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands -- is alleged to have passed on classified information to Pakistan.

The first tip-off in what could develop into another espionage scandal, according to sources, came from American authorities. Suspicious internet traffic first came to the notice of American intelligence agencies when intercepts showed a user in Andaman and Nicobar Islands had dispatched a picture of a serving Indian Brigadier, who was attending a training programme in the US, to Pakistan.

Indian agencies quickly zeroed in on the officer and a quiet operation was planned to call him to New Delhi. Sources say the officer pleaded ignorance of the traffic from his computer to Pakistan saying it could have been generated by some virus or unknown software.

However, suspicion persisted since the Major's computer had been recently formatted and cleaned of all contents. An early forensic examination done in New Delhi revealed the dispatch of classsified military information, some of which should not have been in the officer's possession. The hard disk of the officer's computer has since been sent by military authorities to a Hyderabad laboratory for accessing the erased contents.

"I do not have any information yet. I will have to find the details and then can get back to you," Army spokesperson Col S Om Singh said when contacted for a reaction.

Both Defence Minister A.K. Antony and Home Minister P. Chidambaram are learnt to be aware of the developments in the case, given the serious implications involved.

Source: Indian Express

Oracle

What the hell is happening? First Madhuri Gupta and now this Army Major. Is there no s/w in Indian military computers to track nefarious activities?

A.V.

Army Major caught spying for Pak

Around the time last month when the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) was alerted about the possibility of one of their officers being involved in espionage, another sensitive counter-intelligence operation involving the Ministry of Defence (MoD) was in progress.

For over two weeks now, top Government sources say, an Army Major has been kept in "safe custody" of the Military Intelligence (MI). The officer—posted in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands—is alleged to have passed on classified information to Pakistan.

The first tip-off in what could develop into another espionage scandal, according to sources, came from American authorities. Suspicious internet traffic first came to the notice of American intelligence agencies when intercepts showed a user in Andaman and Nicobar Islands had dispatched a picture of a serving Indian Brigadier, who was attending a training programme in the US, to Pakistan.

However, suspicion persisted since the Major's computer had been recently formatted and cleaned of all contents. An early forensic examination done in New Delhi revealed the dispatch of classsified military information, some of which should not have been in the officer's possession. The hard disk of the officer's computer has since been sent by military authorities to a Hyderabad laboratory for accessing the erased contents

more here
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/army-major-caught-spying-for-pak-tipoff-came-fro.../615795/

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Least expected from someone who is supposed to defend his country to actually sell himself to the enemy. Crazy world this. Never know what goes in the mind and how decisions are made.

I hope there are not many people like him.

nandu

Army denies spying angle in Major case

New Delhi, May 6 (PTI) The Army today asserted that there is no evidence so far to suggest espionage activities by a Major whose computer was allegedly used to mail sensitive information to Pakistan, saying it was a case of hacking by an external agency.

"This is a case of computer hacking through an external agency," Army spokesman Col S Om Singh said.

He said the matter was still under investigation.

"However, so far there is no evidence to suggest an espionage case," Singh said, adding the officer was never under "safe custody" as reported by media and is on duty with his parent unit.

The Major, posted in Andaman and Nicobar Islands, has come under the scanner of central security agencies in the wake of the alleged transfer of data from his computer to Pakistan.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
PLA hackers... how much more evidence do you need? Do not let Chinese Telcos into India.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
lol india truly is playing field of various countries' intellegence agencies except for its own RAW.RAW as the name suggests is truly raw in intelligence playing field=xD

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
PLA hackers... how much more evidence do you need? Do not let Chinese Telcos into India.
Great Point! We have seen a great Surge of chines in India, working for MNCs in sectors such as IT, Telecom, Infrastructure etc. They travel to India for training purposes as employees of Indian cos and MNCs, trust me I have met many, and god knows what project these born espionagers are here for? They even work for companies such as Infosys, IBM, Wipro et al which are contractors of GOI, MOD, IAF, InA, IN etc. Man never trust these chinis.....I remeber Hindi-Chini Bhai Bhia nara, and for sure it has not taught a shocking lesson to our great GOI which is in its perpetual procrastinating posture. How much hacking does GOI wants before it takes preventive measures? (only Corrupt Lethargic Bubus of GOI know the answer; ministers are just dumb and there to make money in connivance with Babus).

Last edited:

amoy

a great Surge of chines in India, working for MNCs in sectors such as IT, Telecom, Infrastructure etc. They travel to India for training purposes as employees on Indian and MNCs, trust me I have met many, and god knows what project these born espionagers are here for? They even work for companies such as Infosys, IBM, Wipro et al which are contractors of GOI, MOD, IAF, InA, IN etc. Man never trust these chinis....
I'm pretty sure there're more Indians in China than Chinese in India. Mind your tongue when u accuse Chinese of espionage suspects do come up with proof.

Yours doesn't sound 'protectionism', of which your sentiment is understandable, but also racism!

And u flag yourself as from a 'doubtful' country (non Indian) - in your own logic

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Anyone ever notice the only members on the board without flags are the Chinois? =omg=

amoy

I'm Chinese or Chinois and bear allegiance with China.

No flag is a technical or political thing. But I won't choose to flag myself anything else.

I ask how u dare say
Man never trust these chinis.....
about those foreigners (it happens to be Chinese) who travel or work or are trained in India, or stay there on whatever purpose??

Is it your way of dealing with your guests or simply visitors?? On what ground do u make that accusation? Or simply becoz they/we're Chinese??

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I'm Chinese or Chinois and bear allegiance with China.

No flag is a technical or political thing. But I won't choose to flag myself anything else.
So why don't you go to your user setting and set your flag to China? Too many masked Chinese running around here.

amoy

Actually I understand some Indians' fear about Chinese flooding into India competing for jobs/biz opportunities.

Not unique. Here similarly in some cities governments issue taxi permits to local residents only in order to 'keep jobs for locals'. It's funny but that's the way it is. Not everybody feels confident or competent to compete with 'outsiders'.

But labelling any 'yellow face' espionager doesn't sound a decent excuse lol =xD

ah ha, off topic again. Isn't this thread about an Ind officer suspected of spying for Pak?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Look, go to Forum Actions, edit profile and change your flag. Not hard...

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
'External agency has hacked Indian Army officer's PC'

NEW DELHI: The computer of an Indian Army officer posted in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands has been hacked by "an external agency", a defence officer said on Thursday. "It is a case of computer hacking through an external agency. The matter is under investigation," army spokesperson Colonel S. Om Singh said. The spokesman said there was no evidence to suggest an "espionage case" involving the officer, who is a major. Denying that the officer was called to Delhi and kept under the safe custody, Singh said: "He is on duty in his parent unit." The major has come under the scanner of security agencies in the wake of the alleged transfer of data from his computer to Pakistani agencies. The tip-off about the hacking, according to sources, had come from a US intelligence agency.
The sources said a picture of a serving Indian brigadier attending a training programme in the US was sent to Pakistan from an IP address that was tracked to the computer of the major.

A report in a national daily Thursday said that the officer was suspected to be involved in espionage activities -- the second such case after an Indian diplomat in the high commission in Islamabad, Madhuri Gupta, was arrested last month for allegedly passing on sensitive information to Pakistani spy agencies.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...dian-Army-officers-PC/articleshow/5898367.cms

Oracle

Actually I understand some Indians' fear about Chinese flooding into India competing for jobs/biz opportunities.
Offtopic but India does not have a huge manufacturing base such as china, so how is it protectionism or Indians fearing competing with Chinese? Ours is a knowledge based economy, while yours is a labor based economy.

Otoh, it will take decades for China to compete with Indian Information technology or ITeS industry.

Last edited:

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
Holes in hacking story, Andaman Major called to Delhi for questioning again

The Indian Army Major posted at the Andaman and Nicobar tri-service command, from whose computer classified data was found to have been transferred to a Pakistani ISI operative, has been called to New Delhi on Monday for questioning again by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) and the Military Intelligence. The Indian Express had first reported on the possible espionage involving the Army officer on May 6. But the Army had clarified that it was a case of hacking, the probe had shown no evidence of espionage, and that the officer was back on duty. However, counter-intelligence investigations have confirmed that the Major's computer contained a large number of classified Army presentations including those pertaining to the Strategic Forces Command, and even minutes of meetings at the Army Commanders Conference.

Counter-intelligence has conveyed to the Home Ministry that action should be taken against the Major, an officer of the Bihar regiment posted with the 108 Brigade. Government sources told The Sunday Express that Home Minister P Chidambaram has personally discussed this matter with Defence Minister A K Antony.

American intelligence, investigating a tip-off from the David Coleman Headley interrogation and keeping tabs on a Pakistani ISI computer, had noticed the flow of huge amounts of classified Indian Army data into it and alerted their counterparts in India. While the officer has maintained that his computer had been hacked by the ISI through a malware, all files from the hard disk had been deleted by the Major himself. According to top sources, the investigations have unearthed the following Laboratory tests have confirmed that a second attempt was made to delete the files while the Major's computer was in the custody of the authorities. Despite surveillance and subsequent investigations, the person responsible for the attempt has not been identified.

* Through x-ray techniques and data recovery methods, investigators have found that the officer's computer may have contained a total of 3,000 Army presentations including those marked highly classified or secret and belonging to areas where the Major had no access. Military Intelligence says the hard disk contained two secret presentations and 50 highly confidential documents — the rest was course study material. * The Major got the classified data from three sources, but has not yet revealed his contacts during repeated questioning. * The Army brass believes that the Major could have been acting alone, but Home Ministry officials suspect more people could be involved.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/h...alled-to-delhi-for-questioning-again/630051/2

joe81

Indian military bosses are spending only on military hardware. Time India spends on upgrading on military software too.

gogbot

What the hell is happening? First Madhuri Gupta and now this Army Major. Is there no s/w in Indian military computers to track nefarious activities?
Hacking , Spying , intelligence gathering are always a danger.

But if your getting caught your doing it wrong.

While in the short term all these so called "controversies" may seem damaging, every detected intrusion or failure of the intelligence apparatus that eventually get's found out , will lead to a straightening of the very weaknesses out enemies have tried to exploit.

In the long term this to our benefit , the fact that they are getting caught out is a good thing

Crusader53

Funny, nobody gives credit to the US for providing the information in all your posts. Yet, I often see prejudices towards the US in many debates. I guess no good deed will go unpunished........

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles