Armored Personnel Carriers & Infantry Fighting Vehicles

ejazr

Ambassador
For the record, I wasn't thinking about procuring the APC from the Saudis only but more along the lines that we should have something like that. If its indigenous that would be the best.

Unfortunately, I don't see a lot of OFB MPV in use when use CRPF in Maoists areas or NE or Kashmir. Most of them are in light armored trucks and many lives have been lost especially in Maoists areas because of ambushes. I feel that we should be spending much more money on internal security (police, CRPF e.t.c.) that we are doing. And that includes either build many more OFB MPV or doing JVs with other countries where we can get this cheaply. And get state govt. to pitch in for the finances. Having a law that states that they should spend 2% of their GDP on internal security would be a good start and give a boost to modernization plans like getting armoured APCs, bullet proof vests, SWAT teams e.t.c

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
For the record, I wasn't thinking about procuring the APC from the Saudis only but more along the lines that we should have something like that. If its indigenous that would be the best.
Unfortunately, I don't see a lot of OFB MPV in use when use CRPF in Maoists areas or NE or Kashmir. [/QUOTE]

I have been in Kashmir for some time and MPVs are very much in use, also Army use its own deigned Taskhak APC..

Regarding Paramilitary, They use MPVs in large scale, Though we dont have much pics of their operations..

MPVs are light armour only to deflect 7.62nato/5.56mm/7.62m43/7.62R, Moist techniques are IEDs which are some time 50kgs or more its enough to blow up a T-72/90..

Almost all major players including tata showed their version of MPVs, Mahindara had JV with BAE and got a 6x6 MPV..
But unfortunatly Men at procurment department dont know how to spend money, EG: buying of tar-21 for CRPF or BSF going for berrata 9mm carbine, This people are focused in showoff, they are hardly thinking abt basic nessasity..

Mahindra & BAE 6X6 MPV

Ashok Layland`s 4X4 MPV

TATA MPV 4X4

Takshak APC of Indian Army in J&k..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Wiesel Armored Weapons Carrier

Wiesel Armored Weapons Carrier

Indian Army should have, Since its so small and light and fast with big cannons, Its suit perfectly for CT operations in J&K..:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
can this thing withstand rpg's and 30mm He slugs?
No, These are Light tanks, Depend on the speed and agility..

It can survive 12.7mm but not RPG or 20-40mm Auto-cannon shell....

If these Vehicles are updated with slat armour it may survive RPG rounds..

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
No, These are Light tanks, Depend on the speed and agility..

It can survive 12.7mm but not RPG or 20-40mm Auto-cannon shell....

If these Vehicles are updated with slat armour it may survive RPG rounds..
I see, will light composite Armour help? (may be this is a stupid question). as 1 in 6 terrorist shall be carrying rpg's i don't think this tank will do any good... unless, it can with stand rpg's and 30mm HE slugs fired from choppers like PAF's apache. :D

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I see, will light composite Armour help? (may be this is a stupid question). as 1 in 6 terrorist shall be carrying rpg's i don't think this tank will do any good... unless, it can with stand rpg's and 30mm HE slugs fired from choppers like PAF's apache. :D
Yes, It can help..

But my Idea to use this vehicle against tangos in J&K where we face Small arm fire, Having such vehicle in narrow roads where Jeeps cant even go is a advantage, Instead of sending Infentry alone we can have Armour to support it, The vehicle can be Up Armour to withstand 40mm RPG anti-personal round, Our Tangos don't have anti-Armour rounds..

Also the large 20mm or 50cal machine-gun/ 40-30AGL will support Infantry as Fire support vehicle..

PA or PAF don't have Apache but Cobras, And Army AD is always have the protecting umbrala over Indian Army`s Armour and Infantry.. :)

Last edited:

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Yes, It can help..

But my Idea to use this vehicle against tangos in J&K where we face Small arm fire, Having such vehicle in narrow roads where Jeeps cant even go, this vehicles would create hell for tangos..

Also the large 20mm or 50cal machine-gun/ 40-30AGL will support Infantry as Fire support vehicle..

PA or PAF dont have Apache but Cobras, And Army AD is always have the protecting umbrala over Indian Army`s Armour and Infantry.. :)
well, i agree with what you are saying, i am sure india has talent, resources and knowledge to build a light tank of similar class.. the questions is why aren't we developing one?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
well, i agree with what you are saying, i am sure india has talent, resources and knowledge to build a light tank of similar class.. the questions is why aren't we developing one?
Its a piece of cake for DRDO or any Indian company, The problem is few using their brains for new things or have will to do better....

pmaitra

Windy-505

Windy-505

Fast attack vehicle-Windy-505 has been developed for multipurpose role as a mobile surveillance and combat support vehicle. Its low silhouette and ability to carry various combinaitons of weapons makes it a force multiplier. A variety of weapon systems can be mounted on this vehicle. It also has day and night vision capability.

http://mod.nic.in/Samachar/oct16-04/body.html
Looks very similar to the Nissan Jonga!

But then, form follows function. Even UAZ isn't very far:

pmaitra

^^ While looks for the UAZ pics, I found something interesting.

A tracked jeep UAZ-Hunter!

bhramos

Country flag
Why didnt IA like BTR-60PB's, why were they removed from service in 1995,
why didn't we go for BTR-80's!!!

could DRDO go for New Project based on this???

Last edited:

JBH22

Why didnt IA like BTR-60PB's, why were they removed from service in 1995,
why didn't we go for BTR-80's!!!

could DRDO go for New Project based on this???
Because in India we have fools who want to reinvent the wheel during the 1971 war PT-76 and OT-64 showed stellar performance the need for light armoured vehicles was instrumental to cross rivers,canals.It could be also due to the economic downturn that happened in the 1990s this prevented the acquisition of APC but now things have changed and I never heard the Army trying to boost mechanised forces inspite of Cold Start doctrine.

Why go for DRDO to reinvent that thing go for license production of BTR-80 or BTR-90 to avoid wasting precious couple years we all know its been a decade since kargil war and our dear Pakistanis can't sit idle for more than a decade its bound that they'll start fingering us again it began with 26/11.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Because in India we have fools who want to reinvent the wheel during the 1971 war PT-76 and OT-64 showed stellar performance the need for light armoured vehicles was instrumental to cross rivers,canals.It could be also due to the economic downturn that happened in the 1990s this prevented the acquisition of APC but now things have changed and I never heard the Army trying to boost mechanised forces inspite of Cold Start doctrine.

Why go for DRDO to reinvent that thing go for license production of BTR-80 or BTR-90 to avoid wasting precious couple years .

BMP needed to be replaced, With something better in terms of space, As per Wheeled APC like BTR-80/90 i think we should have some thing between an MPV and a Wheeled APC, V shape is very important now days as IED thread is very much....

JBH22

COIN units and paramilitary units should get MRAP vehicles to counter the IED threat but whether Army should get more wheeled or tracked vehicles I don't know for sure what they should choose

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles