Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Also watch this timestamp, how the the T-90 barrel keeps moving away from the target & keeps correcting itself... It'd be quite funny if we weren't using it!

Yup, the tank's not using the "locking" function of FCS, instead they're manually traversing the gun repeatedly after few seconds to maintain aim.

It can mean anything ranging from the FCS simply being turned off or maybe broken to they using manual override to we not buying stabilizing system to lower cost.

binayak95

Country flag
Wrong; NLAW don't even have a seeker to have visibility...it uses INS (Inertial Navigation System).

90% of all currently active missile; from small ATGM to ICBM have INS guidance.

Wrong; atleast in case of Russian tanks that use auto-loaders for ATGMs too. It's just a matter of selecting a round.

Are you sure? Coz afaik tanks as old as T-64 have gun stabilization and can fire on the move. There is literally a video from Ukraine where an Ukrainian T-64 engages a Russian T-72 on the move.
Even the T55M had fire on the move ability. Not as accurate as the T64 or the Centurions but it had the ability.

BlackViking

Country flag
IA guy: Arjun (mk1) chugs 2-3 times more fuel than T90.
DRDO guy: IA wanted 500km operational range, we achieved it with external fuel tanks🤗

IA guy: In desert, after a while the tracks start pushing the road wheels out due to accumulation of sand and dirt.This also damages the Sprockets😐
DRDO guy: We have replaced the tracks in MK1A😀

IA guy: Arjun do not have auto loader, has more crew.
Me: (after lot of explaining 👨🏻‍🔬) isn’t that better.
IA guy: 👍 Arjun has a manual control, we can fire even if the electronics aren’t working

Also a question, western tanks have ACs right, why doesn’t Arjun have one (heard from IA guy)?

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Also a question, western tanks have ACs right, why doesn’t Arjun have one (heard from IA guy)
Merkava is the only tank to be designed from ground up with an AC all others tanks have makeshift cooling systems.

Some have portable cooling systems added just before any mission in hot environment and perhaps the most cool example (no pun intended) is Abrams, which has four cooling vests.
Screenshot_2023-04-20-14-49-15-09_6bcd734b3b4b52977458a65c801426b0.jpg

rohit b3

Country flag
DRDO guy: IA wanted 500km operational range, we achieved it with external fuel tanks🤗

IA guy: In desert, after a while the tracks start pushing the road wheels out due to accumulation of sand and dirt.This also damages the Sprockets😐

IA guy: 👍 Arjun has a manual control, we can fire even if the electronics aren’t working

Also a question, western tanks have ACs right, why doesn’t Arjun have one (heard from IA guy)?
I had read somewhere that the IA wanted a 4 crew tank in the first place. Auto loaders are prone to jamming in the hot dessert terrains.

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag

As a former armoured corps guy I can vouch for the requirement of AC in a tank or a BMP. World over ICVs, Tanks have it. It actually is a big relief for our troops sitting in that confined space.

BlackViking

Country flag
Merkava is the only tank to be designed from ground up with an AC all others tanks have makeshift cooling systems.

Some have portable cooling systems added just before any mission in hot environment and perhaps the most cool example (no pun intended) is Abrams, which has four cooling vests.
View attachment 201139
I read somewhere that M1 uses some kind of AC, using its turbine.
Also the NBC system in European tanks achieves some sort of air conditioning.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

You’re right about the part where Arjun doesn’t have Air Conditioning.

Blademaster

As a former armoured corps guy I can vouch for the requirement of AC in a tank or a BMP. World over ICVs, Tanks have it. It actually is a big relief for our troops sitting in that confined space.
As a former armoured corps guy, what is your take on Arjun and why is the IA so reticient on supporting the Arjun program and fix its deficiencies and make it work?

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
As a former armoured corps guy, what is your take on Arjun and why is the IA so reticient on supporting the Arjun program and fix its deficiencies and make it work?
I don't know, honestly. In fact, none us gets to read the recommendations of such a trial for any new equipment. They are not published for the army to read.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles