Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

SARTHAK

Country flag
Whoa there!.. There's no need for that much self-degradation either. Just stay real.

Combat is never simplistic nor symmetrical.
Abrams is perfectly killable by Arjun's ATGM & by gun too, if you know what you're doing. Arjun wants to get into any tank engagement from either high-ground or hull down, to hide its lower glacis & not engage the tank directly infront of you but the ones at an angle. War is a team game, not duel.

View attachment 80315
At any high angle shot you have guaranteed mobility kill on an both Abrams & Leopard2. Arjun may be accurate enough to actually hit the turret ring gap & kill the whole crew.
For leopard you want to hot as low as possible in the hull, ideally through the flanks & you'll have a guaranteed cookoff.
being compared with Abrams is a good sign even if it has less chances of win ,because Arjun is our first indigenous effort, moreover as i side if the profile (turret ring gap etc) is improved before production starts + trophy is already ordered so only thing wud be firepower ,a good 125mm/130mm gun (drdo is working on it) wud be suffiecient

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
being compared with Abrams is a good sign even if it has less chances of win ,because Arjun is our first indigenous effort, moreover as i side if the profile (turret ring gap etc) is improved before production starts + trophy is already ordered so only thing wud be firepower ,a good 125mm/130mm gun (drdo is working on it) wud be suffiecient
Has trophy APS been ordered?

SARTHAK

Country flag
Has trophy APS been ordered?
the defense accqisition committee cleared a deal for "unnamed" aps ,russian and israel aps were tested by indian army and israel trophy was selected but due to Russian pressure the deal went nowhere some time ago, so most probably now trophy or drdo aps has been cleared for indian army

WarriorIndian

Country flag
@Bleh Any news of what happened to the Hard Kill APS that was in development by TBRL? or was it only the APS warhead ?

porky_kicker

Country flag
I think the prototype shown as Arjun Mk1A is not the final prototype.

Because drdo was developing ELEGANT a all electric turret and gun control system. I have already posted a pic of the sub system. This is not present in the current prototype which is using electro hydraulic turret control system.

I suspect it will be present in the prototypes ordered by the army , reason why they said they will test the prototypes first and then ok the production run.

Akm.jpg

This is the digital turret controller and postion indicator. I believe it is part of the ELEGANT system . It includes a display for displaying the Gun position to the Gunner.

Last edited:

SARTHAK

Country flag
I think the prototype shown as Arjun Mk1A is not the final prototype.

Because drdo was developing ELEGANT a all electric turret and gun control system. I have already posted a pic of the sub system. This is not present in the current prototype which is using electro hydraulic turret control system.

I suspect it will be present in the prototypes ordered by the army , reason why they said they will test the prototypes first and then ok the production run.
i hope drdo comes up with some surprise ,at least likes of red effect wud be prove wrong because he repeatedly makes fun of our indegenious tech

porky_kicker

Country flag
i hope drdo comes up with some surprise ,at least likes of red effect wud be prove wrong because he repeatedly makes fun of our indegenious tech
Kutte bhoke hazar , hathi chale bazar .

Why give relevance to dogs , don't read their nonsense , nor point out their nonsense. Ignore them , than they lose all relevance. Fault is ours , we engage them when we should be ignoring them. We Indians are stupid .

I am tired of pointing this simple fact every time and yet nobody learns.

SARTHAK

Country flag
Kutte bhoke hazar , hathi chale bazar .

Why give relevance to dogs , don't read their nonsense , nor point out their nonsense. Ignore them , than they lose all relevance. Fault is ours , we engage them when we should be ignoring them. We Indians are stupid .

I am tired of pointing this simple fact every time and yet nobody learns.
no ,i understand your thoughts on indian inferiority complex and white supremacy syndrome ,and trust me i 100% support it but not all of his arguments were vague or wrong

porky_kicker

Country flag
no ,i understand your thoughts on indian inferiority complex and white supremacy syndrome ,and trust me i 100% support it but not all of his arguments were vague or wrong
These people are not fools are they ?

They will obviously include half truths or some elements of truth to sell their main agenda of lies and narratives.

End of the day bigger fools are us. And those people know that and exploit that.

Ever heard the story of the camel and tent. The modus operandi is the same . And we Indians are suckers for it .

No offense but when you wrote this " but not all of his arguments were vague or wrong " you actually vindicated what I just said. Penny wise pound foolish.

Last edited:

SARTHAK

Country flag
These people are not fools are they ?

They will obviously include half truths or some elements of truth to sell their main agenda of lies and narratives.

End of the day bigger fools are us. And those people know that and exploit that.

Ever heard the story of the camel and tent. The modus operandi is the same . And we Indians are suckers for it .

No offense but when you wrote this " but not all of his arguments were vague or wrong " you actually vindicated what I just said. Penny wise pound foolish.
i understand what u said but then why can't we dump all trash and trolls he spoke and negate his false propoganda but use just a credible part of his criticism to as a ladder to improve?

Leonardo Alves

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
i understand what u said but then why can't we dump all trash and trolls he spoke and negate his false propoganda but use just a credible part of his criticism to as a ladder to improve?
I urge you to start this thread from first page.
You can get more knowledge per say than the red effect or the guys.

SARTHAK

Country flag
ok my fault, i accept that my knowledge is not upto the mark and that is why i came here to learn

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
The criticism is not going to go away even if a better version of Arjun is developed. Or a new tank or a new fighter plane is developed.

As we develop more and more systems indegeneously and try to become an arms expoter, foreign media and these idiot youtubers are going to do more and more PR hitjob on all those products.

But the goal of Defence sector now is atmanirbhar and become a major arms exporter. So DRDO and other private companies will do whatever to make it a suceess, notwithstanding criticism from abroad.

SARTHAK

Country flag
The criticism is not going to go away even if a better version of Arjun is developed. Or a new tank or a new fighter plane is developed.

As we develop more and more systems indegeneously and try to become an arms expoter, foreign media and these idiot youtubers are going to do more and more PR hitjob on all those products.

But the goal of Defence sector now is atmanirbhar and become a major arms exporter. So DRDO and other private companies will do whatever to make it a suceess, notwithstanding criticism from abroad.
all i said was to use his false propoganda as a pump or a motivation!

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
So just 380mm protection behind the commander sights? Besides the absence of ERA in the significant front facing portion of the turret. I don't think that does any good to the protection. @Bleh had explained it in details not long ago.
Its not 380 mm
people using leopard 3D models to arrive at their "own" conclusions on Arjun
Internal arrangements in Arjun is a bit different from leopard
Ifkunal is still active, he can clear the doubts,
Otherwise it will be a tiring point , counter point discussion fr which I hv no energy these days
SO guys are free to arrive at their own conclusions

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Actually mantlet is stabilised & will see less vibration than the turret cheek that'll jerk with the rest of the tanks body... Nor is it connected to the gun directly, the shock absorbers transfer the force to the turret superstructure.

Arjun mantlet is big because the design is old. It was inspired by our Vijayantha experience & thus designed very similar to leopard2a4.
The laser-designator, if placed on the mantlet, will need holes for the coaxial gun's bullets to pass. That's it.
Arjun's big mantlet is army GSQR requirement,
Army wanted extra depression angle in rajasthan desert conditions
Thats why the mantlet was designed to support the needs
This too is not my statement
Kunal Biswas Ex Army's view in the old Arjun discussion pages in this thread
Guys are free to air their views anyway
I just replied to inform that this was the statement of the man who was knew the tank

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Arjun's big mantlet is army GSQR requirement,
Army wanted extra depression angle in rajasthan desert conditions
Abrams has -ve 10 degrees of gun depression and still has got a much smaller mantlet so I call horse shit on that one. And besides, what stopped the designers from making the mantlet thicker so as to get more room for armor inserts??
Thats why the mantlet was designed to support the needs
This too is not my statement
Kunal Biswas Ex Army's view in the old Arjun discussion pages in this thread
Kunal and Sayare used to speak a lot of bullshit during their days, doesn't mean we have to believe them as the gospel.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Its not 380 mm
Likely. It could be even less than that!! 380 is in fact touching the boundaries of over-optimism but still kinda plausible.
people using leopard 3D models to arrive at their "own" conclusions on Arjun
Internal arrangements in Arjun is a bit different from leopard
Dude, we've seen enough of the interior of the turret to know what's up.

Ifkunal is still active, he can clear the doubts,
Not likely as he never got to take measurements from the inside of the turret!! So anything he has to say should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles