Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Pazhassiraja

Country flag
1. Possibly due prioritising on development of the fuck-load of new tech demanded on Mark1A/2.

2. On the gun mantle, look closer.

3. None. Its just a container, probably not even metal.
Thanks for the reply. Placing the laser designator on the mantle is indeed a good idea, but were the designers vary of the vibrations during the firing affecting its performance so that they placed it in a relatively low vibration area? Secondly, why does arjun have such a big mantle? Even leopard or Tank-Ex whose turret design matches Arjun don't have it this big. Do the circular structures in the present mantle serve any purpose so that placing the designator on the mantle affect their performance?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. Placing the laser designator on the mantle is indeed a good idea, but were the designers vary of the vibrations during the firing affecting its performance so that they placed it in a relatively low vibration area? Secondly, why does arjun have such a big mantle? Even leopard or Tank-Ex whose turret design matches Arjun don't have it this big. Do the circular structures in the present mantle serve any purpose so that placing the designator on the mantle affect their performance?
Actually mantlet is stabilised & will see less vibration than the turret cheek that'll jerk with the rest of the tanks body... Nor is it connected to the gun directly, the shock absorbers transfer the force to the turret superstructure.

Arjun mantlet is big because the design is old. It was inspired by our Vijayantha experience & thus designed very similar to leopard2a4.
The laser-designator, if placed on the mantlet, will need holes for the coaxial gun's bullets to pass. That's it.

Chinmoy

Country flag
One problem that is less talked about is in the Arjun side profile. At certain angles, the turret ring clearly visible from outside. It is there in Mark 1 (with or without storage box/side armour) and this problem has not been rectified in Mark 1A. The side armour on the turret does not cover the full height of the turret and leaves a gap there. A well placed shot (from even a RPG) there (shown in the picture) can be catastrophic to the tank.

View attachment 80286

Though this problem exists in many other tanks as well like Leopard, but not as big as Arjun's.
Merkava-Mk-1_2.jpg

SARTHAK

Country flag
i hve watched much of "alpha defense" and "red effect" on Arjun ,the former seemed very optimimistic while the latter heavily critized it ,Frankly i hve no knowledge of tanks,can u guys guide me how is exactly arjun

SARTHAK

Country flag
Go through the thread
the "side profile" debate whether those boxes are some kind of armour or container is still prevelent ,any conclusion for that as many counter views are there,it is difficult to ascertain truth when u dont hve knowledge of the subject

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
i hve watched much of "alpha defense" and "red effect" on Arjun ,the former seemed very optimimistic while the latter heavily critized it ,Frankly i hve no knowledge of tanks,can u guys guide me how is exactly arjun
"alpha defense" is a fanboy, exaggerates because of desi-made pride. "red effect" is russian maal fanboy, and is bitter because we called T90 worse than Arjun, also both of them are on very childish youtube video war against each other.

Also "red effect" twists facts in his favor to show Arjun in a bad light, and at this point he just has developed an personal enmity against Arjun.

SARTHAK

Country flag
"alpha defense" is a fanboy, exaggerates because of desi-made pride. "red effect" is russian maal fanboy, and is bitter because we called T90 worse than Arjun, also both of them are on very childish youtube video war against each other.

Also "red effect" twists facts in his favor to show Arjun in a bad light, and at this point he just has developed an personal enmity against Arjun.
yes, actually i have no-little knowledge so i was not able to differentiate what is right and who twisting facts

SARTHAK

Country flag
i had interest in military aviation(mainly jets) so i am new to the tank arena

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Red Effect was right on most of the points raised except the ammo stowage part, which he got dead wrong.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
This Arjun 1A has become a killer tank with high protection, fire power and speed. It is the only one in the world which can face up to US Abraham tank.
Its a good tank.facing abrams might be biting more than you can chew

WarriorIndian

Country flag
This Arjun 1A has become a killer tank with high protection, fire power and speed. It is the only one in the world which can face up to US Abraham tank.
Yes, if Arjun was allowed to run over it. Otherwise its 3-0, advantage Abram.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Yes, if Arjun was allowed to run over it. Otherwise its 3-0, advantage Abram.
Whoa there!.. There's no need for that much self-degradation either. Just stay real.

Combat is never simplistic nor symmetrical.
Abrams is perfectly killable by Arjun's ATGM & by gun too, if you know what you're doing. Arjun wants to get into any tank engagement from either high-ground or hull down, to hide its lower glacis & not engage the tank directly infront of you but the ones at an angle. War is a team game, not duel.

t01af7deb2a6ff4d835.jpg

At any high angle shot you have guaranteed mobility kill on an both Abrams & Leopard2. Arjun may be accurate enough to actually hit the turret ring gap & kill the whole crew.
For leopard you want to hot as low as possible in the hull, ideally through the flanks & you'll have a guaranteed cookoff.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles