Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Didn't get what you meant by "ERA on one side". The turret has ERA on both sides..
Also, how does it Compare with AL khalid.. ?
Also, maybe we could add longer ERA side skirts..
Go a few pages back. You'll find detailed analysis.
Besides, in Leopard 2A4s, the designers actually added extra armor (albeit still somewhat thinner than the rest of the turret front) behind Gunner's Primary Sight, so it's not that big of a weak spot as compared to Arjun.
It's thinner than the hatch-holes, so probably less than 500mm. Unless it's enough, 300 or 450 are potatoes-potatoes.

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
It's estimated to be around 600mm in Leopard 2A4 if Damian Ratka is to be believed. 350 at most for Arjun, which are as you said - potatoes.
That clown also said it's not physically possible for Arjun blow-off panels to work & they're just for show (something like that) ... Turns out the blowoff panels were not as knowledgeable as him. 😝
Can't take his words too seriously.

I learnt that the cupola-hatch are 50cm at the wide (or else adult male will get stuck). I've confirmed from multiple top angle views that the armour behind gunner's sight is definitely thinner... significantly so. I have few good images, 1st one being the best.

Finnish_Leopard_2.jpg
c939f11c167a34c2213fb77b162c3ca2.jpg
photo_3.jpg

Last edited:

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
That clown also said it's not physically possible for Arjun blow-off panels to work & they're just for show (something like that) ... Turns out the blowoff panels were not as knowledgeable as him. 😝
Can't take his words too seriously.
No, he was absolutely right about the MkI as there are no hatches in their ammo bins.
I learnt that the cupola-hatch are 50cm at the wide (or else adult male will get stuck). I've confirmed from multiple top angle views that the armour behind gunner's sight is definitely thinner... significantly so. I have few good images, 1st one being the best.

View attachment 79589View attachment 79590View attachment 79591
Actually, those hatches are almost guaranteed to be bigger than 50 cm because the crew isn't gonna be sitting naked inside the tanks, not to mention the whites, on average, tend to be wider framed.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
No, he was absolutely right about the MkI as there are no hatches in their ammo bins.
But we've just seen footage of it working perfectly (photos was seen in 2012 Defexpo), in Mark1 platform only.. I suspect the whole frontal wall works as a barrier when all lids are locked.
Wait, have you not seen their promo video? 😐

Hatches I read are 50cm (or 60cm) on all NATO tanks. I'll get back to you on that if I find it again, that one not exactly a google search away.

Last edited:

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
You understand that we've just seen it works perfectly, right?.. Ha Ave you not seen the promo video.
Yes, I saw that video. The tank in that video was likely a later modification. I mean, they are just simple hatches, shouldn't be that difficult to install in the existing vehicles. But anyway, you have to keep in mind that he was going off of the info available at that time when he made that statement and at that time, there simply were no hatches covering the ammo bins. Here, take a look -

So, we need to take his comment in the correct context. But as I've said before several times, that statement doesn't hold true anymore, but at that time, it was on the mark.

Last edited:

sorcerer

Country flag

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Firstly, sorry I couldn't... I just have this for now.

But he was going off of the info available at that time when he made that statement and at that time, there simply were no hatches covering the ammo bins.
2ndly if he could be so dead wrong about that (his strongest argument was on that, almost had me convinced) in a very similar manner, he is probably wrong about Arjun's armour measurements too... on which he, again, had not much concrete information.

On Arjun there are 2 problems to determine it ourselves. 1st is that the weld lines of armour are not visible like in Leopard2 (I think... There are visible weld lines, but if that were armour end that shouldn't leave enough space inside).

2nd is that Arjun turret like my ding-dong, ie, super fucking long. Armour begind the sight could be 300 mm or 450mm & you can't tell because 15cm difference is so small to its overall length.
IMG_20210224_193901.jpg
IMG_20210224_193530.png

To be noted, I have no idea how far those lines are from each other. I don't go full-retard with half info, but it's really bloody confusing.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
But we've just seen footage of it working perfectly (photos was seen in 2012 Defexpo), in Mark1 platform only.. I suspect the whole frontal wall works as a barrier when all lids are locked.
Wait, have you not seen their promo video? 😐

Hatches I read are 50cm (or 60cm) on all NATO tanks. I'll get back to you on that if I find it again, that one not exactly a google search away.
They are most certainly larger than 50 cm, they have to be!! I mean, I'm a fairly lanky guy with a rather narrow frame but even then I'm wider than 50 cm at my shoulders, just imagine what it'd be like for the Caucasians.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
They are most certainly larger than 50 cm, they have to be!! I mean, I'm a fairly lanky guy with a rather narrow frame but even then I'm wider than 50 cm at my shoulders, just imagine what it'd be like for the Caucasians.
You're supposed to raise your arms & enter/exit. You'll find videos. Indians can stand I've seen Lol

I could be mistaking it for Russian one tho.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Firstly sorry no. I just have this.
And I've got this -
Leopard 2A4 turret side armor.jpg

That's 300 mm confirmed for the turret side armor.

And now this -
Leo 2A4.png

The top view of a Leo 2A4 model from SteelBeasts Pro PE. Granted, it ain't the real thing but it's quite accurate and the best top view I could find on the net.

So, the green line is 300mm confirmed through actual on-site measurements, now what do you think the length of the red line would be??

2ndly if he could be so dead wrong about that (his strongest argument was on that, almost had me convinced) in a very similar manner, he is probably wrong about Arjun's armour measurements too... on which he, again, had not much concrete information.
Dude, come on, I posted the picture of the ammo stowage, no hatches to be seen there and that's what he based his argument on. How was he wrong??
On Arjun there are 2 problems to determine it ourselves. 1st is that the weld lines of armour are not visible like in Leopard2 (I think... There are visible weld lines, but if that were armour end that'd leave enough space).

2nd is that Arjun turret like my ding-dong, ie, super fucking long. Armour begind the sight could be 300 mm or 450mm & you can't tell because 15cm difference is so small to its overall length.
View attachment 79598View attachment 79599
To be noted, I have no idea how far those lines are from each other. I don't go full-retard with half info, but it's really bloody confusing.
Can't argue there.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Dude, come on, I posted the picture of the ammo stowage, no hatches to be seen there and that's what he based his argument on. How was he wrong??
He was wrong that the blowoff panels work, unlike what he claimed. Not blaming him for thinking that, but my point is... he's most probably wrong about most other things says.
If one doesn't have info, one should speculate, not make expert comments.

Anyways check this out. Attachable deep-fording kit, allows crossing 4m water. Arjun needs a foldable version of this behind its turret. You can't cross 20 canals & flooded ditches with bridges everytime (T-90s render themselves potato to ford, 30min prep everytime) .

Leopard40-6-10.jpg

001.jpg

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
You're supposed to raise your arms & enter/exit. You'll find videos. Indians can stand I've seen Lol

I could be mistaking it for Russian one tho.
I know that but the openings for the crew hatches appear to be large enough for most of them to be able to squeeze through without raising their arms. Sure, it'd be a tight fit but those guys ain't exactly small is what I mean.
Here, take a look -
As you can see, the guy on the 11th-second mark could have squeezed through with both of his arms lowered, there was enough room available for that had he chosen to do so and he's quite a chonky lad, with heavy winter clothing on no less!!

Last edited:

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
He was wrong that the blowoff panels work, unlike what he claimed. Not blaming him for thinking that, but my point is... he's most probably wrong about most other things says.
If one doesn't have info, one should speculate, not make expert comments.
But he made that comment years back when the MkIA wasn't a thing even on the drawing boards!! No way he was wrong in that context, could've been wrong about some other things here and there, I don't know but he was spot on about the ammo stowage. Of course, it no longer happens to be the case.

Anyways check this out. Attachable deep-fording kit, allows crossing 4m water. Arjun needs a foldable version of this behind its turret. You can't cross 20 canals & flooded ditches with bridges everytime (T-90s render themselves potato to ford, 30min prep everytime) .

View attachment 79605

View attachment 79606
Of course. It's gonna be a nightmare for the IA if a war was to break out tomorrow.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Of course. It's gonna be a nightmare for the IA if a war was to break out tomorrow.
Noone will attack in Punjab more likely. That's why armour's attention has shifted to the deserts so much in recent years.
In 65/71 this places saw barely any tank action, all in Punjab & Jammu. With fording kit built-in, our Arjun could be the offensive game changer. Armour issue won't matter much if you can cut into enemy defensive formations through their flanks.

I'm actually planning to email Balamurugan 2-4 ideas... What the hell, eh?

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Noone will attack in Punjab more likely. That's why armour's attention has shifted to the deserts so much in recent years.
Yeah but with proper fording kits, the IA can expand its area of operations and thus, flexibility.
In 65/71 this places saw barely any tank action, all in Punjab & Jammu. With fording kit built-in, our Arjun could be the offensive game changer. Armour issue won't matter much if you can cut into enemy defensive formations through their flanks.

I'm actually planning to email Balamurugan 2-4 ideas... What the hell, eh?
Please do that. Who knows, right?? Could be worth a shot.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Army to get 118 Arjun Mark 1-A tanks as defence ministry clears proposal for ‘Hunter Killers’
New Delhi: The defence ministry Tuesday granted approval to the Army’s proposal to procure 118 indigenously manufactured Arjun Mark 1-A ‘Hunter Killers’, the second biggest ‘Make in India’ project in the armed forces this year after the Tejas aircraft deal earlier this month.

The Rs 8,380-crore project was given the Acceptance of Necessity (AON) by the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), which is led by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh.

Sources told ThePrint the Army will now issue the Request for Proposal (RFP) to the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), and the whole process till the final contract could take at least one year.

“Three Acceptance of Necessities (AoNs) for an overall cost of Rs 13,700 crore were accorded,” a statement by the defence ministry noted, and according to sources, the Arjun tank project was one of them. The others were related to the Army’s Rs 5,300-crore project for protection and countermeasures for armoured fighting vehicles.

Known as the ‘Hunter Killers’, the new version of the indigenous tanks have all-weather capability, and better fire power and stability than the Arjun main battle tank (MBT).

The Mark 1-A weighs 68 tonnes and is equipped with a 120mm main gun, and will be the most potent tank to be inducted in the Army.

According to the contract, the first tank will be rolled out from the factory within 30 months once the formal contract is done.

At present, the Army currently operates two regiments of the MBT that are based in Rajasthan.

According to sources in the defence and security establishment, the present order of Mark 1-A for the two regiments will be the last for this system. This is because the Army is looking to induct lighter tanks, weighing 50 tonnes at most and a minimum of 30 tonnes.

Currently, India operates with Russian-designed T-90 tanks, which weigh around 46 tonnes, besides the T-72 tanks.

Major improvements
The Mark 1-A comes with 14 major improvements that the Army had sought, which are part of a total 71 new features.

The tank has undergone four upgrades to the firepower of the tank, besides new transmission systems. It includes an improved gunner’s main sight, integrated with automatic target tracking. This would enable the tank crew to track moving targets automatically and engage them even when Arjun is on the move.

The Mark-1A’s gun is controlled by a computerised integrated fire control system, giving the tank a high first round kill capability. The gun’s day-and-night stabilised sights, coupled with automatic target tracker, guarantee accurate engagement even in dynamic conditions.

Other than the conventional fin stabilised armour piercing discarding sabot and high explosive squash head ammunition, the Mark 1-A comes with thermo baric and penetration-cum-blast ammunition.

Last week, during a function, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had also handed over a model of the tank to the Army

“A tank made in Tamil Nadu will be used in our northern border to keep our nation safe. This showcases India’s united spirit–Bharat’s ekta darshan,” Modi had said.

porky_kicker

Country flag
@WolfPack86

Do you have any idea what the wire is ?

Never post their articles and links in any technical threads.

The wire , the caravan etc are anti national sites , always manipulating and doing selective reporting to suit their agenda , please avoid posting them.

There have nothing to do with constructive criticism , their agenda is totally different . Please don't post their articles .

Reporting from Chandigarh lol

Why am I not surprised , the HQ of the import cabal.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles