Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
What is today's standards?
I don't know, Leopard2A7, M1A3, T-14, Altay - take your pick. Although, on the plus side, the MkIA does possess better post penetration survivability as compared to the Leopard or Altay, so there is that.
It certainly doesnt need to look like the TATA HARRIER,,
Sorry but I'm not really into automobiles, or rather can't afford to if I'm being honest.
Its a tank that is built to GSQR
Yes, a rather fucked up GSQR at that, as is the result. And for the record, I'm not pinning the entire blame on the technocrats at CVRDE.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Arjun mk2 is just going to be Arjun mk1A with missile firing through main gun, nothing more to be added as far as I know
Arjun MK1s Leo-2A4 style basic design was in the 80s as per GSQR of 1985. Germany's KMW acted as the design consultant. The basic design was retained in Arjun MK1A.

In 2016-17, DGMF and DRDO officials decided to redesign the turret and hull. Then CVRDE announced tenders in which Relaince defence was chosen to supply hull and turret structures which will be integrated in CVRDE and named as Arjun Mk2. Reliance defence supplied those in 2018.

After that no official news regarding Arjun Mk2.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
@ArgonPrime Army's GSQR came in '80s... They weren't stopping CVRDE from raising the gunner's sight etc.
That's totally on them.

too crude??

Any facts to support the claim?

Arjun mk2 is just going to be Arjun mk1A with missile firing through main gun, nothing more to be added as far as I know

Weight is the function of GSQR
Oh, It has ERA on one side only
No design refinements or flaw rectification that's called crude by dictionary definition

just slapped on the added tech.

Mark1A is already certified to fire missiles confirmed balamurugan. Don't just say stuff.

..and don't fucking quote me if u can't write full sentences

Last edited:

Cactus09

Country flag
@ArgonPrime Army's GSQR came in '80s... They weren't stopping CVRDE from raising the gunner's sight etc.
That's totally on them.

Oh, It has ERA on one side only
No design refinements or flaw rectification that's called crude by dictionary definition

just slapped on the added tech.

Mark1A is already certified to fire missiles confirmed balamurugan. Don't just say stuff.

..and don't fucking quote me if u can't write full sentences
The massive opening in the frontal armor to mount the sights still makes me cringe. Why the hell did DRDO not reposition it above the turret like M1A2 or Leopard 2A7. Leaves a major vulnerability for the tank.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
This actually could be true, that IA deliberately fucked it.
Or they just don't care enough as long as it can move fast & shoot accurately while doing so (very likely given how CVRDE always boasts of that only)... Multiple sources are telling me two things.

1. CVRDE was too busy with getting the shit-ton of upgrades to give attention to design refinements.

2. As per IA, 80-85% of tank kill in Indian conditions had been due to cheek penetration from an anglular hit.
19-Arjun-MBT.jpg
Arjun's breech is so big that most penetrated rounds will get lodged in it & can be changed in less than 20 minutes.

BlackViking

Country flag
This actually could be true, that IA deliberately fucked it.
Or they just don't care enough as long as it can move fast & shoot accurately while doing so (very likely given how CVRDE always boasts of that only)... Multiple sources are telling me two things.

1. CVRDE was too busy with getting the shit-ton of upgrades to give attention to design refinements.

2. As per IA, 80-85% of tank kill in Indian conditions had been due to cheek penetration from an anglular hit.View attachment 79582Arjun's breech is so big that most penetrated rounds will get lodged in it & can be changed in less than 20 minutes.
Are there any stats of total tanks lost in war and their primary reasons released by the army?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Are there any stats of total tanks lost in war and their primary reasons released by the army?
Number is publicly declared info, if you are willing to do the research. We lost no tanks in Zojila 1948... so that leaves only 65 & 71 wars as well as Sri Lanka.

Details on how that were lost however are understandably not made public. PKS probably heard it from someone in CVRDE. He could be wrong ofcourse, but m maybe not. Because turrets of mobility oriented tanks like our T-72/90 share the same armour layout at the front... Questionable centre, but strong outer angles.

IMG_20210214_222307.png

But again, I repeat, it could all be just IA not giving a shit about armour layout as long as the tank can shoot accurately while moving fast.

Last edited:

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I have question @Bleh @ArgonPrime . The MBT Revolution still employs the hole for sight. Why so?
Mostly due to the costs. Besides, in Leopard 2A4s, the designers actually added extra armor (albeit still somewhat thinner than the rest of the turret front) behind Gunner's Primary Sight, so it's not that big of a weak spot as compared to Arjun.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Number is publicly declared info, if you are willing to do the research. We lost no tanks in Zojila 1948... so that leaves only 65 & 71 wars as well as Sri Lanka.

Details on how that were lost however are understandably not made public. PKS probably heard it from someone in CVRDE. He could be wrong ofcourse, but m maybe not. Because turrets of mobility oriented tanks like our T-72/90 share the same armour layout at the front... Questionable centre, but strong outer angles.

View attachment 79584

But again, I repeat, it could all be just IA not giving a shit about armour layout as long as the tank can shoot accurately while moving fast.
Let's not sugarcoat it - the fact is, human lives (unless you're filthy rich) have got no value in this part of the world, which reflects in the Army's decisions just like that of many other organizations.

Lost user

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
All complaints aside, I find Mark1A to be very pretty (despite fascist Modi grinning evilly in the back). 😝

View attachment 79571
Didn't get what you meant by "ERA on one side". The turret has ERA on both sides..
Also, how does it Compare with AL khalid.. ?
Also, maybe we could add longer ERA side skirts..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles