Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I won't be surprised if it isn't, but this would make a good side-armour...

...while the outer module would make a much better & spaceous storage box (would explode ATGMs further away too).
Could be armor, perhaps they changed the armor profile in MkIA after all, but shouldn't the top covers be thicker if that's indeed the case??

vasusuman

Country flag
I won't be surprised if it isn't, but this would make a good side-armour...

...while the outer module would make a much better & spaceous storage box (would explode ATGMs further away too).
From Photos i have seen,it appears they still use Manual Skills to do lot of manufacturing jobs.While if you see the photos of Bharat Forge n others,they use more of Industrial Technologies.Hence,product quality and consistency expected from latter will be better.Even when i saw a tank being tested on Avadi roads,there was rust accumulation on its body parts.What we should expect is finishing,quality n use of modern technologies just like Auto Industry does.My friend who stays in Avadi says there is lot of corruption within the Avadi plant.Details i dont know or asked him.Setup there is huge.If you bring a collaboration with Private Organization,young and vibrant enginners with fresh approach,then results will show in few years.

BlackViking

Country flag
From Photos i have seen,it appears they still use Manual Skills to do lot of manufacturing jobs.While if you see the photos of Bharat Forge n others,they use more of Industrial Technologies.Hence,product quality and consistency expected from latter will be better.Even when i saw a tank being tested on Avadi roads,there was rust accumulation on its body parts.What we should expect is finishing,quality n use of modern technologies just like Auto Industry does.My friend who stays in Avadi says there is lot of corruption within the Avadi plant.Details i dont know or asked him.Setup there is huge.If you bring a collaboration with Private Organization,young and vibrant enginners with fresh approach,then results will show in few years.
I have seen the problems you stated myself in VFJ during a 15-day internship there.

Cruise missile

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Hope they will improve after getting corporatised.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
That I don't really know... I've seen similar slots on Type-96/99. No way to know how thick these caps are.

View attachment 73728

View attachment 73729
Yeah, I know, I've seen those lifting brackets before that are welded on the top plate which itself appear to be welded with the front and side plates but in the case of Arjun (both variants), if you look closely enough, you'll find that those on the Arjun appear more like toggle latches than brackets mounted on lid coverings rather than a solid top plate but I could be wrong there.

The Chinese tanks you mentioned make use of fully modular armor as in, one can replace an entire section of armor altogether with its outer plates attached and that's where those lifting brackets come in. But that is not the case with Arjun (and most other MBTS around the globe), which uses semi-modular armor, as in, in order to replace a damaged section, you would need to cut open the front plate, then replace the inserts, and then weld another plate back into place (It's likely that you know that already). So what would be the point in mounting such brackets on Arjun anyway??

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Yeah, I know, I've seen those lifting brackets before that are welded on the top plate which itself appear to be welded with the front and side plates but in the case of Arjun (both variants), if you look closely enough, you'll find that those on the Arjun appear more like toggle latches than brackets mounted on lid coverings rather than a solid top plate but I could be wrong there.

The Chinese tanks you mentioned make use of fully modular armor as in, one can replace an entire section of armor altogether with its outer plates attached and that's where those lifting brackets come in. But that is not the case with Arjun (and most other MBTS around the globe), which uses semi-modular armor, as in, in order to replace a damaged section, you would need to cut open the front plate, then replace the inserts, and then weld another plate back into place (It's likely that you know that already). So what would be the point in mounting such brackets on Arjun anyway??
I was pointing at the lid coverings in Type-96/99 armour module.

But yu know what... We'll find out later. Their prototypes are shit. Even if it's meant to take in armour inserts in final version, it might still be made like that.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I was pointing at the lid coverings in Type-96/99 armour module.
ZTZ 96.jpg

You mean this lead?? The one I marked in red lines?? Those are coverings for the air gaps they have to leave inside the armor cavity in order to make room for the bolts that are used to attach the modules with the backplate. This is an inherent limitation of fully modular armor designs and this is why I'd said in a previous comment that the LOS thickness of the Chinese turret front modules is deceiving to an extent.

But yu know what... We'll find out later. Their prototypes are shit. Even if it's meant to take in armour inserts in final version, it might still be made like that.
I just hope that they make those solid armor panels in the production variants.

Last edited:

SUPERPOWER

Country flag
Atleast 500 order needed please.. Arjun Mk1A
Our tank system is still in evolving stage and arjun mark 1 and Arjun Mark 1 A are basically a Technology demonstrators so hence now we have all technology developed and tested in Mark1A Mark2 will be a game changer and army will go for in good numbers..

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Anybody translated?

See unplanned mismanagement is why the Arjun's platform was unfit for what it was meant to do, despite its technological achievements... Still remains so.

Here's an example. You may know that Arjun can ford shallow waterbodies with ZERO water-ingress, unlike the T90. But that quality becomes absolutely useless!.. After a lot of preparation & attaching a snorkel T-72/90 can cross 5m deep water obstacles. If Arjun had a built-in folding snorkel it could be able to do so with flip of a swtich. But it doesn't. So what we have here is the bloody thing crossing a fucking high-drain on a prepared bridge that had to be seperately purchased for it. 😅
Screenshot_20210204_081746.jpg

Same with the armour layout issue. With slight angular modifications the weak spots could be removed, but instead they made it worse in Mark1A.
IMG_20210203_092603.jpg

Last edited:

WarriorIndian

Country flag
Arjun is a heavy tank has only one purpose to serve in the deserts of Rajasthan. The weight of the Arjun prevents it from being deployed in all the areas required by the Army. Paradoxically, while the tank itself has demonstrated high speed and mobility, its weight precludes it from being able to operate anywhere the army wants it to and this fatally limits the tank’s operational effectiveness for the Indian Army. The tank is too heavy to be deployed across the border with Pakistan. It is unable to effectively traverse terrain filled with natural and/or artificial obstacles. Or areas crisscrossed with rivers and canals. That rules out most places in Rajasthan, Punjab and the mountainous terrain of the J&K sector. It will certainly not be part of the Indian Army’s strike corps formations, as it could get bogged down in unfamiliar terrain.

WolfPack86

Country flag
HISTORIC DEFENCE ORDER OF 118 INDIGENOUS ARJUN-1A MBTS ON THE ANVIL
New Delhi: This is another Atmanirbhar Bharat moment. An order for two regiments of the new indigenous Arjun 1A tank for the Indian Army is on the anvil. The two regiments, comprising 118 tanks, have been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and incorporates 71 improvements from the original version.

They are expected to go through the usual route for clearance: The Defence Acquisition Council and the Cabinet Committee on Security. This deal is worth Rs 8,956 crore, not just for the tanks but also, spares and servicing.

The Army already has to regiments of the earlier version of the Arjun. While the T-90, a Russian designed armoured vehicle, is the Army's MBT or main battle tank, the Arjun is being considered suitable for use, particularly in the southern Rajasthan area, in the Thar Desert. Tank movement in the Punjab and northern Rajasthan is now more difficult because of urban settlements, canals and the increase in vegetation.

Anti-Tank Weapons

Five indigenous anti-tank weapons are in the final stages of development, top government sources said. They include the Nag anti-tank guided missile, its standalone version called SANT, the HELINA or the one delivered from helicopters. There will also be an MPATGM or the man-portable version as well as using the Arjun gun barrel.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles