Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
One possible upgrade to the left side of the turret of arjun mk 2 with the GMS as well as gun mantlet can be implemented similar to a German company's upgrade to a leopard 2a4 with a similar style GMS position :

espace_kit.jpg

Without redesigning the turret to place the GMS above the turret , this can be a practical solution to up armouring the turret left side to acheive uniform protection on both sides of the turret of arjun mk2.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

=============

All imported content will be licensed produce and will be fitted on production variant of Arjun MK2 ..

There is an indigenous solution..

LASTEC has designed and developed a laser warning and countermeasure system for Armoured Fighting Vehicle (AFVs). A LWS is capable of handling multiple type of laser threats and has an operational range of more than 6 km for laser designator type of laser threat. After detecting the laser threat along with its direction, it also has the capability to generate trigger signal to activate the grenade launcher for firing of smoke grenade in the direction of laser threat to obscure the platform under threat. Technology of the LWS has been transferred to BEL, Pune.

The laser warning sensors detects the laser radiation processes, determine the PRF and edge matching signals. It comprises of opto-electronic front end, signal processing and conditioning, embedded module for PRF decoding, and edge matching signal.

The master controller receive inputs from multiple laser warning sensors, processes the information and feeds the desired commands to the decoy laser. The master controller comprises of hardware and software module to interface with the laser sensor units and the decoy laser.

Decoy laser is a high energy laser source that takes command from laser warning system and generate a pulsed laser radiation synchronised with the PRF generated by the laser warning system. It is used to illuminate a dummy target to misguide the laser guided bomb on to the dummy target.

However, I doubt it's as good as the Israeli one.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
I don't know why some defence journalist are saying HNS steel is going to be used for Arjun when it is clearly mentioned in DRDO official publications that high hardness steel DMRL 1700 steel (which is under production) with a hardness of 570 VHN will be used in armoured vehicles. DRDO also has developed medium hardness steel of VHN 457.
DRDO has published that HNS steel having a hardness 370 VHN is to be used for For application such ICV, helicopters, naval boats etc where protection required against AK 47, 7.62 ball, 7.62 AP, 12.7 AP projectiles etc.
https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/English/IITM/Write-up_High_Nitrogen_Steel.pdf
A ultra high hardness steel is also developed in DMRL in around 2011 with a whopping yield strength of 1900 MPa and hardness 650 VHN which can also be used for future armour platform. The chassis is normally built with ultra high strength steel over which Kanchan armour, Glass polymer composite , NERA and ERA is fitted.

The so called defence journalist should read these scientific papers before posting false information in blogs and tweets which spread in the net like wildfire. A simple look of the mechanical properties of these 3 steels will give you the idea that which is meant for light armour application and which is meant for MBT.

Attachments

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
What is the need for slope armor where Armour cavities are located ..

AnantS

Country flag
I think we need to do Leopard 2A5+ type modification on the section of turret near gun( don't know military name) .
That area deprive of sloped armour..........
sure, Army thinks Arjun is too light, CVRDE surely can slap more bricks of ERA all around the turret

Willy2

sure, Army thinks Arjun is too light, CVRDE surely can slap more bricks of ERA all around the turret
How much weight do u think gonna added if we cover that small part near gun ? I think not even 2 Kgs ,,,also our agencies might also involve in it's weight reduction anyway
What is the need for slope armor where Armour cavities are located ..
I don't get the point :frown:

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
I don't know why some defence journalist are saying HNS steel is going to be used for Arjun when it is clearly mentioned in DRDO official publications that high hardness steel DMRL 1700 steel (which is under production) with a hardness of 570 VHN will be used in armoured vehicles. DRDO also has developed medium hardness steel of VHN 457.
DRDO has published that HNS steel having a hardness 370 VHN is to be used for For application such ICV, helicopters, naval boats etc where protection required against AK 47, 7.62 ball, 7.62 AP, 12.7 AP projectiles etc.
https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/English/IITM/Write-up_High_Nitrogen_Steel.pdf
A ultra high hardness steel is also developed in DMRL in around 2011 with a whopping yield strength of 1900 MPa and hardness 650 VHN which can also be used for future armour platform. The chassis is normally built with ultra high strength steel over which Kanchan armour, Glass polymer composite , NERA and ERA is fitted.

The so called defence journalist should read these scientific papers before posting false information in blogs and tweets which spread in the net like wildfire. A simple look of the mechanical properties of these 3 steels will give you the idea that which is meant for light armour application and which is meant for MBT.
My article above is quoted in Indra networks in fb without naming me or dfi. Blatant plagiarism is being practiced.

AnantS

Country flag
How much weight do u think gonna added if we cover that small part near gun ? I think not even 2 Kgs ,,,also our agencies might also involve in it's weight reduction anyway
@2 KG? Much more I think. Plus Modification will also entail modification of Gun Mount to hoist ERA

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag

according to this 50 improvement s are done .... weight reducing will be done ...
recently drdo said it has done all improvement s ....but it's not clear how much weight is reduced

R A Varun

Country flag
can any body please brief me on the fabric like material in the turret and intersection.
i have seen them in all russian origin tanks,
however the tankex lacks it,
can youplease tell me wht it is.

Vinod DX9

Country flag
can any body please brief me on the fabric like material in the turret and intersection.
i have seen them in all russian origin tanks,
however the tankex lacks it,
can youplease tell me wht it is.
Tank mantlet area I guess you are taking about

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Does anybody know about the development on FRCV RFI?????

What's its status???.

Vinod DX9

Country flag
Does anybody know about the development on FRCV RFI?????

What's its status???.

"Under the $12-billion FICV project the government aims to purchase over 2,300 units of such vehicles for the Army. Firms that have been vying for the deal are L&T, Tata Motors, Reliance, Mahindra and Tata Power SED-Titagarh Wagons. The Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) has also been nominated for the deal.Globally, firms that have queued up for the FICV project are General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, BAE Systems and Rheinmetall..."

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
There is an update on FICV from FRCV,but not FMBT... It says
"Under the $12-billion FICV project the government aims to purchase over 2,300 units of such vehicles for the Army. Firms that have been vying for the deal are L&T, Tata Motors, Reliance, Mahindra and Tata Power SED-Titagarh Wagons. The Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) has also been nominated for the deal.Globally, firms that have queued up for the FICV project are General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, BAE Systems and Rheinmetall..."
I was asking about the MBT one,army has released an RFI back 2015 for the replacement of t-72 from 2025-27.

Since then there has been no word on it.

Wish any indigenous design makes it.But the way it was out together,I believe army was favouring the t-14 by quoting the tank should be in medium category.

Can Arjun mk2 with aps achieve the goals??????

EXPERT

What is the difference between ammunition feeder and hoist? @Kunal Biswas
Is rammer/flick rammer is same as feeder?
What are the different components in arjun mbt autoloader?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles