Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

Vijyes

@Vijyes & @Krusty ............. Something for both of you to discuss on other thread.

What is the difference between horsepower and torque?

http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm...ct_id=117/category_id=13/mode=prod/prd117.htm
BTW.... Don't forget to tag me along. :biggrin2:
There is nothing to break head. A rough way to describe power is :
Power = constant x speed x torque

For same power, if speed increases, torque decreases and vice versa

I think its best to end the physics discussion here

Pandora

Country flag
Any news about arjun Mk2 ? I dropped twitter message to sandeep unithan , kindly all request the same .He definately get some news from there.

porky_kicker

Country flag
Instant Fire Detection and Suppression System (IFDSS) for ARJUN

q.jpg

Instant Fire Detection and Suppression System (IFDSS) is a micro controller based fire detection and suppression system for vehicle/Tanks. The Equipment automatically detects the fire and suppression of fire is carried out either automatic or pressing manual override switch in crew as well as in engine compartment of the tank.

The detector unit have IR sensors and detects the fire in crew compartment and send the confirmation signal of fire to Main Control Unit (MCU) over Control Area Network protocol. The Main Control Unit (MCU) takes the necessary action to activate the fire Extinguishers.

A “Fire-Wire” is a flexible heat detecting wire, having one or more elements joined in series by means of various connector accessories. It is simply a linear Thermal Detector, which is directly interfaced with the Main Control Unit. It’s logic is designed for detection “Over Heat”, “Fire”, “Open Circuit” and “Short Circuit” conditions.

The system has feature of continuous health monitoring of Detector Units, Alarm and Flasher unit, Fire wire and Fire Extinguishers. The system also has the features like Built in Test facility (BITE) and Audio-Visual indication of “Over Heat” and “Fire” conditions in Engine compartment.

1.Built in Test facility (BITE)
2.Monitoring of Detector units, Fire Wire, Alarm & Flasher unit and Fire Extinguishers
3.Simple Man-Machine interface (MMI)
4.Environmental specification as per JSS 55555
5.Easy maintenance and repair
6.Low Power Consumption
7.False Free Operation
8.Auto cut off voltage below 18 V and above 32 V
9.Electromagnetic Compatibility as per MIL Std 461C.
10.Audio and visual indication of “Over Heat” and “Fire”conditions in Engine compartment.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Some of the snaps of the interior i took during 2014 expo ============>>

Commander station ..

----------------------

Gunner station ..

---------------------------

Loader station ..

---------------------------------

This was from one of the MK2 prototypes ..

Pandora

Country flag
@kunalbiswas Saar ji my sources told me the arjun mk2 drastically need a 1500 HP tanks to increase the cross country speed.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Superdefender

Any news about arjun Mk2 ? I dropped twitter message to sandeep unithan , kindly all request the same .He definately get some news from there.
Go to this page. The answer is too big to post here. It was posted by Soikot Banerjee, Mechanical Engineering at Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore on Aug 24, 2017. I am posting just some of paragraphs for our DFI guys.

Link: https://www.quora.com/How-does-the-Arjun-MBT-compare-with-other-battle-tanks-in-the-world

ARMOR: It is comparable to any western tank and better than the T-90S. It consists of ERA Mk2 and Kanchan composite Armor. Arjun can take a point blank hit from T-72. demonstrated the capability to defeat HESH and APFSDS rounds, which included the Israeli APFSDS rounds.A new honeycomb design of Non-Explosive and Non-Energetic Reactive Armour (NERA) along with nuclear, biological and chemical (NBC) protection equipment is present on Mk2. Entire Electronic protection suit (LWR, RWR, Laser dassler, EW Jammers). Arjun Mk2 uses a Mobile Camouflage system to reduce it’s signature made by DRDO, same is used on T 90S as well. All this active and passive protection systems are on par with any modern western tank.

FIREPOWER:It has a 120 mm rifled cannon which will be replaced by a smoothbore in upcoming HNS Mk2. Missile firing capacity is only in Merkava, T 90 and Arjun. Arjun uses Indigenous DRDO CLGM. Also a Themobaric Round has been made for Arjun Mk2 which is superior to any ammunition as of now. It also has BEL made 12.7mm RCWS and Includes Friend-foe identification device.Includes Day/night, thermal capable panoramic vision. So firepower is at par with any western tank.Moreover Arjun can Fire easily while moving at 25Km/hr whereas T-90S can do only upto 16 Km/hr.

itsme

Country flag
They're currently trying to reduce the tanks weight, I've read they've reduced 3 tons.
Are they reducing the number of wheels to 6 per side instead of 14? With a remodeled hull? I think that should reduce weight significantly.

Last edited:

Pandora

Country flag
Go to this page. The answer is too big to post here. It was posted by Soikot Banerjee, Mechanical Engineering at Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore on Aug 24, 2017. I am posting just some of paragraphs for our DFI guys.

Link: https://www.quora.com/How-does-the-Arjun-MBT-compare-with-other-battle-tanks-in-the-world

ARMOR: It is comparable to any western tank and better than the T-90S. It consists of ERA Mk2 and Kanchan composite Armor. Arjun can take a point blank hit from T-72. demonstrated the capability to defeat HESH and APFSDS rounds, which included the Israeli APFSDS rounds.A new honeycomb design of Non-Explosive and Non-Energetic Reactive Armour (NERA) along with nuclear, biological and chemical (NBC) protection equipment is present on Mk2. Entire Electronic protection suit (LWR, RWR, Laser dassler, EW Jammers). Arjun Mk2 uses a Mobile Camouflage system to reduce it’s signature made by DRDO, same is used on T 90S as well. All this active and passive protection systems are on par with any modern western tank.

FIREPOWER:It has a 120 mm rifled cannon which will be replaced by a smoothbore in upcoming HNS Mk2. Missile firing capacity is only in Merkava, T 90 and Arjun. Arjun uses Indigenous DRDO CLGM. Also a Themobaric Round has been made for Arjun Mk2 which is superior to any ammunition as of now. It also has BEL made 12.7mm RCWS and Includes Friend-foe identification device.Includes Day/night, thermal capable panoramic vision. So firepower is at par with any western tank.Moreover Arjun can Fire easily while moving at 25Km/hr whereas T-90S can do only upto 16 Km/hr.
What ?? Rifled cannon will be replaced by smoothbore ?

Kchontha

Country flag
Are they reducing the number of wheels to 6 per side instead of 14? With a remodeled hull? I think that should reduce weight significantly.
No they are retaining the same number of wheels and baseline hull.But as a weight reduction exercise they are replacing all steel road wheels and ventilators by Alicon group builds all aluminium road wheels and ventilators. Whereas the baseline hull will be manufactured by more lighter HNS (high Nitrogen steel) in lieu of more heavier rolled Homogeneous Armour (RHA) steel.

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag
Dose the Mk II have a Urban survivablity kit like or is any thing being planned

singh100ful

Country flag

The whole answer is a copy paste from Prasun sengupta's blog http://trishul-trident.blogspot.in/

Vinod DX9

Country flag
1) Yes, there will be 120 mm smoothbore gun for FMBT... But AFAIK no change in Arjun series for now
2) proposal came for 120 mm smoothbore replacing 125 mm gun of T-72. However, as it's a herculean tusk as redesigning will take almost all sector in the turret so no progress. May be a single prototype is made someday

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles