Country flag

Bharhut, Sunga Era, 2nd Century BC

1588521117187.png

1588521131745.png

Mathura, Kushan Era, 2nd-3rd Century AD

Gandhara, Kushan Era, 2nd-3rd Century AD

Ajanta, Vakataka Era, 4th-6th Century AD

12th century AD, Hoysala Era

Indian women admiring themselves with a mirror throughout history.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

Chandraketugarh, Sunga Art, 2nd Century BC

Various scenes. Pretty interesting stuff. We see a lot of stories, iconography that interest some of the Hindus of the time. It's a different look from the common Buddhist works from Sanchi, Bharhut. I think a lot of this was originally outside the Indo-Aryan yet popular, incorporated into the culture later on. Could be totally wrong. Whatever the case, we're seeing prototyping of Hindu iconography. Some stuff from there continued on till even now, some thrown out.

Last edited:

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

FGFAPilot1

Country flag
Looking at all these carvings and statues one can easily deduce that Indian society under the influence of the Abrahamic cultures has become extremely prude, which is not good.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

Looking at all these carvings and statues one can easily deduce that Indian society under the influence of the Abrahamic cultures has become extremely prude, which is not good.
Very much so. There are a lot of erotic material that I have not posted in this thread. What is in here is nothing.

Sunga Yakshis

Last edited:

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
When did the cultural shift actual happened?
Upper garments have been depicted in history books for as long as I remember.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Probably after islamic invasions started, and corrupted the native culture. one thing i am noticing in this shunga art is the gender equity. men and women seem to dress the same, women seem to go on hunts too which probably means gender discrimination is absent.

in other words bharat had already reached what the current western abrahamics are aspiring to do achieve. even the nordic countries haven't been able to achieve today what shunga dynasty has achieved in 2th century BCE.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Even with the non-Islamic C. Asian invasions from the Sakas, Hunas, etc. there were only minor changes to Indian tastes, though they did have influences. These people were largely integrated into Indian society. The major changes in architecture, attire, warfare, etc. came about with Islamic C. Asian invasions. They now at this point have a culture that they werent going to reverse, Islamic-Persian. The Indian native upper class copied a lot from their overlords, and it trickles down. It was Indians fault for not learning the lessons from several invasions.

Last edited:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
This one is pretty famous.

The Pompeii Lakshmi is a 25cm high Indian ivory statue of a Yakshi (not actually Lakshmi) found in
the ruins and ashes of Pompeii, Italy, which was buried by the eruption of Mt Vesuvius in 79AD. It is
believed made either near Bhodarkan, Maharashtra (where similar figurines have been found) or in
NW India (based on a small Kharoshti sign that reads ‘Shi’ since Kharoshti was prevalent in the NW).

796px-Pompei_Lakshmi_statuette.jpg

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

Vzlk396.png

8Ibj01b1.png

8Ibj01b2.jpg

Bhita, Sunga Art, 2nd Century BC

besnagar1.jpg

Besnagar, Sunga Art, 2nd Century BC

Last edited:

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
gupta1.jpg

Gupta Image of Vishnu

gupta2.jpg

Gupta Female

gupta3.png

Scene from Gupta Art

Reactions: SKC

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
mauryastreet2.jpg

mauryastreet1.jpg

Maurya streets

Based on the relief images of Maurya's successors - Sanchi, Bharhut, etc. I remember giving these guys so much references for the Maurya faction in the 0 AD game and they ended up producing something near accurate. Only thing that compares is the old Chanakya series from the 90s.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles