Any Hindu can be priest: SC

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Any Hindu can be priest: SC

New Delhi, Dec. 16: The Supreme Court today ruled that any Hindu person irrespective of caste or creed could be appointed temple priest, provided the governing Agama Shastras (the temple tenets) permit it.

In other words, if the tenets allow a Dalit, tribal or any other backward class individual as a priest, he/she cannot be disqualified on the ground that the job is the exclusive privilege of Brahmins.

In delivering the judgment, a bench of Justices Ranjan Gogoi and N.V. Ramana struck a delicate balance between Articles 25 (right to practise one's religious beliefs) and Article 26 (right to manage one's religious affairs) of the Constitution and Article 14 (equality before law), Article 15 (prohibition of discrimination on grounds of religion, race, caste, sex or place of birth), Article 16 (equality of opportunity in public appointments) and Article 17 (forbidding untouchability).

"....the exclusion of some and inclusion of a particular segment or denomination for appointment as archakas (priests) would not violate Article 14 (equality) so long as such inclusion/exclusion is not based on the criteria of caste, birth or any other constitutionally unacceptable parameter," Justice Gogoi, writing the judgment, said.

The ruling came as the court disposed of a batch of petitions by some upper caste persons and priests challenging a 2006 Tamil Nadu government order permitting any Hindu person to be appointed temple priests irrespective of caste and creed.#

A strong belief exists among upper caste priests, mainly Brahmins, that permitting other caste groups from entering the sanctum sanctorum or performing puja would defile the temple itself and is contrary to the shastras.

In this context, the court referred to Article 16(5) - related to equality of opportunity in public appointments - which says: "Nothing in this article shall affect the operation of any law which provides that an incumbent of an office in connection with the affairs of any religious or denominational institution or any member of the governing body thereof shall be a person professing a particular religion or belonging to a particular denomination."

The court said the provision "protects the appointment of archakas from a particular denomination" under the Agamas (tenets) of a temple. "All that it does and says is that some of the Agamas do incorporate a fundamental religious belief of the necessity of performance of the pujas by archakas belonging to a particular and distinct sect/group/denomination, failing which, there will be defilement of deity requiring purification ceremonies."#"Surely, if the Agamas in question do not proscribe any group of citizens from being appointed as archakas on the basis of caste or class, the sanctity of Article 17 or any other provision of Part III (fundamental rights) of the Constitution or even the Protection of Civil Rights Act, 1955, will not be violated," Justice Gogoi said.

The court pointed out that Hinduism, as a religion, incorporated all forms of belief without mandating the selection or elimination of any one. It is a religion that has no single founder; no single scripture and no single set of teachings. It has been described as Sanatan Dharma (eternal faith), as it is the collective wisdom and inspiration of the centuries that Hinduism seeks to preach and propagate, the court said.

:india::india::india:

"While the right to freedom of religion and to manage the religious affairs of any denomination is undoubtedly a fundamental right, the same is subject to public order, morality and health...further, such rights will not prevent the state from acting in an appropriate manner in larger public interest as mandated by both Article 25 and 26 (right to practise one's religious beliefs and the right to manage one's religious affairs)," the bench said.

Hence, the court said, "appointments of archakas will have to be made in accordance with the agamas, subject to their due identification as well as their conformity with the constitutional mandates and principles as discussed above".

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1151217/jsp/nation/story_58939.jsp#.VnJg3fl97IU

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
A great judgement and a welcome move by the Supreme Court. This ruling will go a long way in uniting India. The onus now lies with us Indians to make our society an united one.

I_PLAY_BAD

Should have been any Hindu who did not consume beef and has good personal hygiene can be a priest.
It only makes sense then.

raja696

I find fault in SC decision . Although I hate caste ism. Sc should not interfere with the traditions and cultural decisions of the Temple ie who can be the priest, its a matter of age old tradition. I see both Danger and Humanity in its decision. Sc should have got more clarity on ill effects rather than broader proactive one sided judgment. I still feel something is not right. Any body with similar view? please reply..

Why I am say this because all three are different
1.religion
2.culture
3.tradition

But function as one in Hinduism. Which SC really didn't analyze the issue to which factor it belongs to from above . Sc really didn't see them before being gullible.

Note: I am not against decision, but ill effects of sc judgement can be used against Hindus.

Last edited:

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Should have been any Hindu who did not consume beef and has good personal hygiene can be a priest.
No. For being a priest one must have training of performing rituals in proper order. The ones you mentioned is a given to be a good human being.

@raja696 Not only SC, but every other court of law have right to interfare in such matters as per our constitution. It is not unique to Hinduism either.

raja696

No. For being a priest one must have training of performing rituals in proper order. The ones you mentioned is a given to be a good human being.

@raja696 Not only SC, but every other court of law have right to interfare in such matters as per our constitution. It is not unique to Hinduism either.
I understand that courts can interfere, because priests are gov paid positions. What about temples which don't come under endowments purview. Note here the issue is unlike fight for sharia law were courts can interfere

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
hans chugega dana or kawa moti khayega

priest will be selected according to Agama Shastra :p

I_PLAY_BAD

What I meant was to even qualify to practice those rituals one must be what I described.

mikhail

Country flag
A great decision by the Hon'able Supreme Court in this matter.I for one am a hard core anti-castist since my college days and despite the fact that i was born in a traditional Brahmin family i feel that the greatest obstacle of uniting all the Sanatan Dharmics under a single flag is due to the so called "superior human being" attitude by the Brahmin community.The day has come to show them their real place in our hierarchy.All Sanatan Dharmics are equal under the eyes of the Supreme Lord and this has to be shoved down the throats of those Brahmin supremacists once and for all!!

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
A great decision by the Hon'able Supreme Court in this matter.I for one am a hard core anti-castist since my college days and despite the fact that i was born in a traditional Brahmin family i feel that the greatest obstacle of uniting all the Sanatan Dharmics under a single flag is due to the so called "superior human being" attitude by the Brahmin community.The day has come to show them their real place in our hierarchy.All Sanatan Dharmics are equal under the eyes of the Supreme Lord and this has to be shoved down the throats of those Brahmin supremacists once and for all!!

I fear that brahmins will be treated badly in coming future in India. More badly that any one elese was treated because

1) SC/ST want to take revenge ( one does not say directly but inside it remains)
2) Muslims want to destroy the so called upper Hindu class
3) Christians will try to convert them

Now almost every one is against them and uniting. Which is already a bad sign.

The more one tries to blame brahmins, the more he destroys the unity.

I_PLAY_BAD

lol cut the bull shiii play bad
No shiii....
There should not be argument of casteism on appointment of priests.
Brahmins do it for centuries, let them carry on....

P.S. I am not a brahmin and I am an avid brahmin hater.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Once again, the discussion is veering towards the absurd.

Sanatan Dharma dictates that anyone who has Bramhagyan is a Brahmin. But to become a pujari, one need not be a Brahmin per se. Only proper knowledge of the rituals and Bhakti in heart.

Once again, castists, under the banner of anti-castists have united to gnaw the existence of Dharma. Brahmin or not, depends upon action, not upon birth.

punjab47

महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट
Banned
No shiii....
There should not be argument of casteism on appointment of priests.
Brahmins do it for centuries, let them carry on....

P.S. I am not a brahmin and I am an avid brahmin hater.
Mikhail stop being self hating abrahamic. I play bad OK hate bramins but be prepared to face Jatts, Rajputs, Dogras & Khatris.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Brahman is not a title that should be inherited, but achieved. Just as Kshatriya or Vaishya. A coward may have been born in a family of warriors, but he himself cannot claim to be a Kshatriya. Every single soldier in our armed forces is a kshatriya, when the fat asses sitting in ac offices or palaces claiming Kshatriya bloodline, are not. Similarly if a person born in lower caste home is eager to devote his or her life in worship of the Gods and learns to perform every ritual to perfection, he will be a priest and if learns the Shastras and philosophies of Hinduism, he will be more of a Brahman than average Trivedi, Chaturvedis, Mishras, Sharmas, Tiwaris, Chakravarties, Mukherjee-Banerjees who cannot utter a single shloka, could ever be.

In our original tradition and society itself it is defined that the status in society is determined by not inheritance but merit and achievements. The tradition got corrupted and coopted by the people. Now again the tradition can be rejuvinated.

punjab47

Banned
Brahman is not a title that should be inherited, but achieved. Just as Kshatriya or Vaishya. A coward may have been born in a family of warriors, but he himself cannot claim to be a Kshatriya. Every single soldier in our armed forces is a kshatriya, when the fat asses sitting in ac offices or palaces claiming Kshatriya bloodline, are not. Similarly if a person born in lower caste home is eager to devote his or her life in worship of the Gods and learns to perform every ritual to perfection, he will be a priest and if learns the Shastras and philosophies of Hinduism, he will be more of a Brahman than average Trivedi, Chaturvedis, Mishras, Sharmas, Tiwaris, Chakravarties, Mukherjee-Banerjees who cannot utter a single shloka, could ever be.

In our original tradition and society itself it is defined that the status in society is determined by not inheritance but merit and achievements. The tradition got corrupted and coopted by the people. Now again the tradition can be rejuvinated.
Yes but these people want pratilom marriage & end of jaati.
They don't care about 'justice' they are rent seeking savages looking for women.

And they meet only swords,

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Once again, the discussion is veering towards the absurd.

Sanatan Dharma dictates that anyone who has Bramhagyan is a Brahmin. But to become a pujari, one need not be a Brahmin per se. Only proper knowledge of the rituals and Bhakti in heart.

Once again, castists, under the banner of anti-castists have united to gnaw the existence of Dharma. Brahmin or not, depends upon action, not upon birth.
Brahmans wasn't even a sole authority for vedic rituals,he was just one among 16 priests whose work was to sing the hymns while the chief of 16 was Hotr.

Later they claimed priesthood based on birth and other 15 were slowly disappeared.

punjab47

Banned
Brahmans wasn't even a sole authority for vedic rituals,he was just one among 16 priests whose work was to sing the hymns while the chief of 16 was Hotr.

Later they claimed priesthood based on birth and other 15 were slowly disappeared.
Still not letting any black mallu marry a brighu girl. That's real agenda behind this,

Destroy tribe & then family unit to make society easier to mould.

That's as far as our duties go,

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Still not letting any black mallu marry a brighu girl. That's real agenda behind this,

Destroy tribe & then family unit to make society easier to mould.

That's as far as our duties go,
The offspring of Pratiloma Vivah will be a abomination,according to you :lol:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles