Another Cheap Chinese Copy

A.V.

March 11, 2009: China is now offering its HQ-9 anti-aircraft missile system for export, as the FD-2000. Mostly used by the army, Chinese HQ-9 brigades are mobile, and equipped with a brigade headquarters (with a command vehicle, and four trucks for communications and maintenance), six battalions (each with a missile control vehicle, a targeting radar vehicle, a search radar vehicle and eight missile launch vehicles, each carry four missiles in containers).
A decade ago, China began introducing the HQ-9. Over a decade of development was believed to have benefitted from data stolen from similar American and Russian systems. The HQ-9 missile is similar to the U.S. "Patriot," and is deployed in ships as well. The radar apparently derived much technology from that used in the Russian S-300 system.

The HQ-9 missile has a max range of about 100 kilometers, weighs 1.3 tons and has a passive (no broadcasting) seeker in the missile. China has installed this system in its new, 6,500 ton 052C class destroyers. The 052C installation has 48 missiles fired from vertical launchers. Unlike the American "hot launch" (where the rocket ignites while the missile is in the launch tube), the Chinese use a "cold launch" system. This uses compressed air to eject the missile from the launch tube, and then the rocket motor ignites. Ship designers are still debating which system is safer and more effective.

Russia and the United States are debating how to deal with the growing Chinese use of stolen technology, especially for weapons systems that are exported and compete against the systems they are copied from.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htada/articles/20090311.aspx

Country flag
No need to debate stop selling it, if they can't copy it they certainly are not going to develop it.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Could this news have any relation to the Russians dropping or threatening to drop the Su-33 deal with the Chinese??? That is, fear of stolen technology.... Could they be fearing that the Chinese will also copy the Su-33 Aircraft Carrier based version and try to peddle that off???

A.V.

guys the HQ-9 is of significance to the indians because it will be the same air-defence system that will challenge our fighters in case of a conflict with either of our neighbours.

shiv

No need to debate stop selling it, if they can't copy it they certainly are not going to develop it.
well the problem is that the chinese are smart.....
they have other means of copying stuff..

like the americans gave pak the f-16s and now they have j-10s which are just like the f-16s.....or they can be the israeli lavi's..i mean they dint manufacture or export it,so lets earn a quick buck by giving it to china!!

Country flag
the quick buck will also make you lose many more bucks, when they sell your copy cheaper than you.

shiv

plus the chinese have more than 2 million legit business firms in europe and america.....the moment they get even a pin they send it to the mainland for evaluation....how can you jail every sixth man in this world????

shiv

the quick buck will also make you lose many more bucks, when they sell your copy cheaper than you.
but the point is that the Israelis never manufactured or exported the lavi....they just gave the blueprints to china....

Country flag
easy you keep you military data confidential and work done only by natives not these thieves or else it will be the end of your military

shiv

you know lethalforce in a way i really admire these chinese..they have come a long way since 1980...i like their government which never misses an opportunity....this is what has made them an economic superpower and a semi-military one.....

but do i wish the same governance system upon india??? never...because i love my freedom...really wish our politicians were smart though.....

shiv

easy you keep you military data confidential and work done only by natives not these thieves or else it will be the end of your military
well most of the tech developed for the military arena has a lot of applications in the civil area too.....like Kevlar is used as a bullet proof but also used in radial tires for car.......

so you cant protect tech like that.....its just like my software designing which is made in modules-->each module can be used in multiple softwares

so some part has to come to the civil sector...and when it does..it is bound to get copied..best way..until you are one generation ahead dont reveal your cards.....just like the US did with its B-2 bombers

Country flag
you know lethalforce in a way i really admire these chinese..they have come a long way since 1980...i like their government which never misses an opportunity....this is what has made them an economic superpower and a semi-military one.....

but do i wish the same governance system upon india??? never...because i love my freedom...really wish our politicians were smart though.....
this is true and they also had the advantages of being in UNSC the seat Nehru gave them which was ours, and they are MFN trading status with USA.

well most of the tech developed for the military arena has a lot of applications in the civil area too.....like Kevlar is used as a bullet proof but also used in radial tires for car.......

so you cant protect tech like that.....its just like my software designing which is made in modules-->each module can be used in multiple softwares

so some part has to come to the civil sector...and when it does..it is bound to get copied..best way..until you are one generation ahead dont reveal your cards.....just like the US did with its B-2 bombers

very true but much of the theft that occured was known to Bill clinton and not much was done to
prevent it.

shiv

could he have stopped it???
could he have stopped all economic transaction with china??because thats what would have taken to stop the american tech being copied by china and lets not talk about the american tech in other countries which have economic transaction with chian!!!

Jagdpanther

Hmmm... Honestly... I can't think of any.... :D:D:D:D:D:D
Honestly,Chinese J-7 is copied from MIG-21, and China has developed and refined the J-7 fighter now which is the best version in MIG-21 family.

But so far, the India can't even make or COPY the MIG-21 fighter all by themselves . :blum3:

Maybe you want to say sth about the LCA. Well,tell me how can you guys develop some highly advanced aircraft without the ablity to produce some less advanced one. BTW, the China J-10 are already in service now, where is the LCA??

High-tek can not be bought or borrowed. Because nobudy would give you the high-tek. You are on your own. R&D step by step,that is the only way.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Honestly,Chinese J-7 is copied from MIG-21, and China has developed and refined the J-7 fighter now which is the best version in MIG-21 family.
What about MiG 21 Bison?

But so far, the India can't even make or COPY the MIG-21 fighter all by themselves . :blum3:
So are you trying to say infringing of IP is some great thing?

Maybe you want to say sth about the LCA. Well,tell me how can you guys develop some highly advanced aircraft without the ablity to produce some less advanced one. BTW, the China J-10 are already in service now, where is the LCA??
Don't deviate from topic.

High-tek can not be bought or borrowed. Because nobudy would give you the high-tek. You are on your own. R&D step by step,that is the only way.
So what India is doing?

Jagdpanther

What about MiG 21 Bison?

So are you trying to say infringing of IP is some great thing?

Don't deviate from topic.

So what India is doing?

Russian gave China the blueprints ,tek components and profiles of MIG-21 in 1961/3/30 , China first copied, then independently made, and finally developed their own MIG-21, which is now the famous J-7.

Your eastern enemy had used J-7 to shot down many india jets, I'm sure you can't forget that part.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Russian gave China the blueprints ,tek components and profiles of MIG-21 in 1961/3/30 , China first copied, then independently made, and finally developed their own MIG-21, which is now the famous J-7.

Your eastern enemy had used J-7 to shot down many india jets, I'm sure you can't forget that part.
This is getting hilarious now to unimaginable extent. You still have not answered weather it is ok to infringe in copyrights or your view on MiG21 bisons

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles