Ancient Indian Empires and Weapons

Poseidon

Country flag
What armor did Indian soldiers atleast elite units have during Ghaznavid and Ghurid invasions?

Lurker123

Country flag
Militaristic artistic work is pretty rare, but we actually do have some horse archer models from Satavahana, Sungas to the Gutpas.

View attachment 46085

Satavahana model, clearly a dedicated horse archer in a war scene.

View attachment 46086

Sunga example

View attachment 46087

Gupta period, unlike the others this one has Central Asian characteristics like rider boots, quiver below the waist like C. Asians, etc.
Do you know the location of the Sunga horseman?

GaudaNaresh

Country flag
One thing i will point out that most people do not realise :
There was no Nanda empire. Or Mauryan Empire. Or Shunga empire. These are all dynasties of the SAME empire: Magadh Empire.

Stop using western minimalistic take towards Indian history. They call their history the Roman Empire. The Holy Roman Empire. The Byzantine Empire. Not broken up by dynasties such as Julio-Claudian Empire, Nervan Empire, Ottonian Empire or Komnenos Empire.

The Magadh Empire has similar growth patterns as Roman empire : Its core territory & capital remain in Magadh ( just as Roman empire till the very end remained based in Latium) and just like Rome expanded to incorporate nearby lands- such as Sabian & Etruscan lands into Rome proper, so too did magadha- they expanded to incoporate Vajji, Anga & Vanga into their core Magadh territory.

The Magadh Empire lasts from roughly 550s BCE- from the time of Bimbisar, to 50s BCE, when the last Kanva emperor was overthrown and the Satavahanas ruled over Magadh.

It is the most important empire in Indian history and its recognition for its contribution and scale cannot be comprehended, if its broken up to its individual dynasties.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Can anyone guess what the more wierdly shaped metal things are?
the rest are either sword blades or spreadheads that's obvious.

my guess is that since they are almost the size of frisbee so a version of chakra, we can assume they travel the some distance to cut deep in the skin.

Last edited:

GaudaNaresh

Country flag

bhai krishana ke time ke weapons??
There are a couple of tips ( 10th & 11th from the right) that are close to being bodkin points. Copper is not very strong, so it cannot make a true bodkin point ( which is a sabot-like thin cylindrical point) but it needs to be a flathead & bodkin point hybrid.

Why is this relevant someone may ask ? Bodkin points have but only one purpose: armour piercing ( this is why bodkin point sabot rounds are tank piercing shells). Presence of these tips means, body armour was also in use in this era

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag

Is this legit.
Pratap might have been a superhuman.
So you are in chittorgarh right now , good good
My brother also told this to me few years back, now i find it here .
Sahi hi hoga. But many weapons his horse would have carried .also there were special weapon bearers for the kings back then .

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag

Is this legit.
Infantry guys have 20 kg jackets, add to that 5 KG rifle, Mags, ammo, Helmet, easily 25-27+
1663335440486.png

I'd Imagine The Great Maharana to be more Hefty than an Average infantryman, it also helps that he was a mounted soldier

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
And how much a special forces jawan carries today ?
He was tough no doubt but not a superhuman.
SF jawan has to be as mobile as possible, not limited like an infantryman, hence he'd be using Light weight plate carriers and compromises on Armour protection
Still a good weight on his spine I'd say

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag

Is this legit.
Maharan was basically superhuman we rajasthani have been brought up with his stories and prithviraj Chauhan's stories and the things they both did back in the day are still mind boggling did you visit haldi gathi ?(its not as prominent now) but that soil literally smelled of blood till few years back idk if its still the case now

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
>4000 years old
>that means ~1980 B.C.
>calling it "bhagwan krishn ke jamane ke hathiyar" for ~1980 BC 😒

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles