Ancient Indian Empires and Weapons

GaudaNaresh

Country flag
Some historically accurate representation of Indian soilders in the Medivial Ages.
Most of them are inaccurate. The only accurate ones are :
1. War elephant from somewhere in northern India
2. Armored horsemen of the kabul-shahis and the kashmiris

rest are mostly wrong. South Indian warriors were not langotiya wearing half naked men, they actually had the best infantry and shield wall of ancient & medival india, as its noted in arab sources that amongst the tripartite struggle of Pal-Rashtrakut-Pratihara, the former relied on elephants, the latter on cavalry and the rashtrakutas had by far the most heavily armed and disciplined infantry - which explains why rashtrakuta were the dominant power in that 3 way struggle.

Jedi Operator

Country flag
Most of them are inaccurate. The only accurate ones are :
1. War elephant from somewhere in northern India
2. Armored horsemen of the kabul-shahis and the kashmiris

rest are mostly wrong. South Indian warriors were not langotiya wearing half naked men, they actually had the best infantry and shield wall of ancient & medival india, as its noted in arab sources that amongst the tripartite struggle of Pal-Rashtrakut-Pratihara, the former relied on elephants, the latter on cavalry and the rashtrakutas had by far the most heavily armed and disciplined infantry - which explains why rashtrakuta were the dominant power in that 3 way struggle.
I wont comment if they were the best, but find similar images here
There are ones you said too, and I found atleast the first image pretty accurate from the late Gupta times

indiatester

Country flag
There are ones you said too, and I found atleast the first image pretty accurate from the late Gupta times
For south India, we can find pretty decent depictions in the temples and they definitely don't look like that.

Azaad

Country flag
Frankly there are very few studies undertaken on the military history of India . This isn't exclusive to Indic studies but is a universal issue.

This is not much of a factor in the west since military history studies for the last 60-70 yrs is now a serious subject.

However , since anything by the west or their coolies , by way of military analyses goes , we don't have any accurate account.

All we've are outcomes & strategies . Nothing in between .

GaudaNaresh

Country flag
The imagery from gupta times is not accurate either. as i said, nearly naked troops is not a thing in india. We didn't do plate armor man, coz you'll boil inside in indian heat, but that doesnt mean we were shirtless langotwallas in war either.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Osprey Publication, for all their prowess in military literature, is still a british publication company and there is some glints of "british-ness" in their publications - so if you find something that's far fetched be not surprised.

Jedi Operator

Country flag
Osprey Publication, for all their prowess in military literature, is still a british publication company and there is some glints of "british-ness" in their publications - so if you find something that's far fetched be not surprised.
still better than the Indian representation of own troops which is not just inaccurate it's laughable fantasy!
1712474617485.png

lmao

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
One should not confuse rank and file with noble warriors.Rank and file wore no armour or peti/leather-cloth gambeson.Nobility wore scalemail or padded leather.Chainmail was also known but more rare.In feudal society levies were generally neglected.Even vijaynagara foot infantry most often didnt wear armour.

GaudaNaresh

Country flag
One should not confuse rank and file with noble warriors.Rank and file wore no armour or peti/leather-cloth gambeson.Nobility wore scalemail or padded leather.Chainmail was also known but more rare.In feudal society levies were generally neglected.Even vijaynagara foot infantry most often didnt wear armour.
Rank and file didnt wear langotia and go bare-chested in battle either.
most rank and file would have basic quilted or leather armor. Nobility would have chainmail from around 200s CE onwards.

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
Rank and file didnt wear langotia and go bare-chested in battle either.
most rank and file would have basic quilted or leather armor. Nobility would have chainmail from around 200s CE onwards.
Foot levies mostly wore a half shirt cholika and short dhoti.In colder areas kancuka long sleeved cloth.Could wear mail or gambeson iff they could afford it.Nobility wore scalemail most commonly,but also chainmail and plate cuirass of chinese type.Also padded leather with stitched metal plates as armour.

Jedi Operator

Country flag
Since when are votive carvings from a temple supposed to be an accurate description, over actual writings ??

I suggest you read the arab sources from 800s-900s CE to know what the Indian military dressed like.
no you send me. Send me sources to convince me brotha

donny winardi

Country flag
Did anyone knew the name of the dagger used with reverse grip method in Ancient India??

it is recorded in tons of veeragallus and also in the hip of Varaha Avatars and Vishnu from North to South India, with the oldest might be from before 5th century ??

something like this

thank you

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles