American and European Air to Air Missiles.

Do you really think that American and other European Origin Air to air Missiles are the Best?

• No

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Yes.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • America is father of air to air Missiles!

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Not really sure

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters

Angel of War

Country flag
Rightly said, better to stick with Indigenous Options but still AMRAAM is pretty Advanced. Astra MK-1 is said to be on par or with or better than AMRAAM AIM-120C5 in terms of range(That's all that I am trying to say here)
yeah , Astra is on par with AIM120C5 , PL12 and RVV AE

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
yeah , Astra is on par with AIM120C5 , PL12 and RVV AE
Astra MK-1 is better than R-77 and Chinese PL-12(Also known as SD-10) in terms of range, I am not exactly sure about Comparison with AMRAAM AIM-120C5 though, either its on par with or better than AMRAAM AIM-120C5.

Angel of War

Country flag
Astra MK-1 is better than R-77 and Chinese PL-12(Also known as SD-10) in terms of range, I am not exactly sure about Comparison with AMRAAM AIM-120C5 though, either its on par with or better than AMRAAM AIM-120C5.
Its in the same range class as RVV AE and PL12 ( 100-120Km) . So it's in their league but it is yet to be established which missile is better .

Angel of War

Country flag
I think it is definitely better tha R77 since IAF wanted Astra to replace R77 . PLAAF also retired its R77s and replaced them with PL12

Angel of War

Country flag
Currently the best AA Missiles in the subcontinent are
1) Meteor ( IAF)
2) PL15( PAF and PLAAF)
3) Astra/PL12/AMRAAM/ I Derby ( tie )
4) Mica ER
5)R77

Super Flanker

Country flag
Its in the same range class as RVV AE and PL12 ( 100-120Km) . So it's in their league but it is yet to be established which missile is better .
Are you referring to R-77 here? Than yes I would definitely consider it around the same class as R-77, according to Various sources, R-77 has a range of around 80 kms and Astra is said to have a range of 110 kms which puts to be superior to R-77 in terms of Range(Even though Actual range is classified) but Astra MK-1 is better than R-77 overall.

Angel of War

Country flag
Are you referring to R-77 here? Than yes I would definitely consider it around the same class as R-77, according to Various sources, R-77 has a range of around 80 kms and Astra is said to have a range of 110 kms which puts to be superior to R-77 in terms of Range(Even though Actual range is classified) but Astra MK-1 is better than R-77 overall.
RVV AE is an upgraded version of R77 . I am not talking about R77

Super Flanker

Country flag
Yes that's what I am talking about, RVV-AE has a range of 80kms. This is from Wikipedia and even the Official Website of Rosoboronexport states that RVV-AE has a range of 80kms and Above.

Super Flanker

Country flag
If you want to discuss more about Russian air to air Missiles than I have made a separate thread for That. Discuss about it here.

Angel of War

Country flag
Yes that's what I am talking about, RVV-AE has a range of 80kms. This is from Wikipedia and even the Official Website of Rosoboronexport states that RVV-AE has a range of 80kms and Above.
Read this , this article has a mention about RVV AE

Super Flanker

Country flag
Read this , this article has a mention about RVV AE
This article mentions about RVV-SD which has a Range of 110 kms. Even this article which you have quoted says that RVV-SD has a range of 110 kms. Now please its my request that you Discuss about Russian Missiles in this thread and not clutter this one. Thank you.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Rightly said, better to stick with Indigenous Options but still AMRAAM is pretty Advanced. Astra MK-1 is said to be on par or with or better than AMRAAM AIM-120C5 in terms of range(That's all that I am trying to say here)
They won't do anything like MBDA.... Highly unlikely and the use of their missiles comes with several restrictions.

Israel have already provided us with Derby ER already integrated with Tejas and possibly Sukhoi . Hope Mig 29 gets them too.

So there is no need for American missile .

Rest we have our own SFDR and Astra lined up .

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Currently the best AA Missiles in the subcontinent are
1) Meteor ( IAF)
2) PL15( PAF and PLAAF)
3) Astra/PL12/AMRAAM/ I Derby ( tie )
4) Mica ER
5)R77
There is Derby ER similar to AMRAAM

Astra isn't in the league of AMRAAM (several version exist.) either nor Chinese pl 12 /15 better than AMRAAM on any account.

Then we have several extended range version of R-77

MICA is best missile for both role though it's range is less and price is high.

Meteor is best long range ramjet BVR

ASRAAM is best near BVR IR missile

Python CCM IR missile.

Derby ER the second best along with AMRAAM C7 though 120 D has more range but Derby ER true range isn't known either and may be more than quoted.

In short IAF has best of all world what they need is large stock and efficient use.

Unfortunately most of our platforms are Russian which means many of these missiles can't be fired from them.

Tejas Rafale are the only two aircrafts for now which can fire all of these... Top end missiles.

Sukhoi with an Indian radar and avionics can solve the problem completely

Super Flanker

Country flag
They won't do anything like MBDA.... Highly unlikely and the use of their missiles comes with several restrictions.

Israel have already provided us with Derby ER already integrated with Tejas and possibly Sukhoi . Hope Mig 29 gets them too.

So there is no need for American missile .

Rest we have our own SFDR and Astra lined up .
Are American Air to Air (AOA) Missiles really Effective? I mean we saw on 27th February 1 Sukhoi SU-30 MKI {Callsign : Avenger 1}of the Indian Airforce manage to evade a Barrage of 4-5 AIM-120 AMRAAMs.

I mean those AMRAAMS are supposed to be "state of the Art" According to Americans but not even 1 could hit a lone SU-30 MKI.
42549772602_8f77b4d318_b.jpg

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Are American Air to Air (AOA) Missiles really Effective? I mean we saw on 27th February 1 Sukhoi SU-30 MKI of the Indian Airforce managed to evade a Barrage of 4-5 AIM-120 AMRAAMs.

I mean those AMRAAMS are supposed to be "state of the Art" According to Americans but not even 1 could hit a lone SU-30 MKI. View attachment 142434
First the missile provided to PAF are older ones not the latest.

PAF fired them up at Max range of the missiles so it was easy for Sukhoi to dodge them.

The Derby ER IAF is counting on to replace it's Russian missiles is basically American Amraam in Israel hands.

Rest lots of factors play an important role in it you must understand if it was so easy for a million dollar missile to down a 100 million plus fighter jet people will be vary of investing in fighter jets.

johnj

There is Derby ER similar to AMRAAM

Astra isn't in the league of AMRAAM (several version exist.) either nor Chinese pl 12 /15 better than AMRAAM on any account.

Then we have several extended range version of R-77

MICA is best missile for both role though it's range is less and price is high.

Meteor is best long range ramjet BVR

ASRAAM is best near BVR IR missile

Python CCM IR missile.

Derby ER the second best along with AMRAAM C7 though 120 D has more range but Derby ER true range isn't known either and may be more than quoted.

In short IAF has best of all world what they need is large stock and efficient use.

Unfortunately most of our platforms are Russian which means many of these missiles can't be fired from them.

Tejas Rafale are the only two aircrafts for now which can fire all of these... Top end missiles.

Sukhoi with an Indian radar and avionics can solve the problem completely
Best ccm is aim9x2.
Best bvr under EW is meteor.
Best all rounder aim120c7/c8/d.
Mica is good considering rafale and better than meteor in ccm and bvr role upto 70 km.
Derby ER similar to c7. Astra similar and better than c5 but inferior to c7, becz its first bvr missile and can add more advanced seeker, ins, eccm in near future. python is ir/irr/optics missile. Overall the best aam is 9x2.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles