America turns to Hindu beliefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vikramaditya

Country flag
*Americans are becoming more like Hindus and less like traditional Christians in the way they think about God, themselves, and eternity, a Newsweek essay has said, citing new surveys and poll data.

*many Americans no longer believe in the idea that theirs (Christianity) is the only true religion and all others are false, says the magazines Religion Editor Lisa Miller.

*65 per cent of Americans believe that “many religions can lead to eternal life” including 37 per cent of white evangelicals, the group most likely to believe that salvation is theirs alone.

*If going to yoga works, great and if going to Catholic mass works, great. And if going to Catholic mass plus the yoga plus the Buddhist retreat works, that’s great, too.”

*Miller writes the number of people who seek spiritual truth outside church is also growing. Thirty per cent of Americans call themselves “spiritual, not religious”, according to a 2009 Newsweek poll.

*The second indication that Americans are going down the Hindu way relates to death and reincarnation, says Miller. Christians traditionally believe that bodies and souls are sacred, that together they comprise the “self”, and that at the end of time they will be reunited in the Resurrection. You need both, in other words, and you need them forever. Hindus believe no such thing. At death, the body burns on a pyre, while the spirit where identity resides escapes. In reincarnation, central to Hinduism, selves come back to earth again and again in different bodies.

*There are anywhere between 1.5 to 2 million Hindus in the US, according to ballpoint estimates based on latest census updates of Indians in American. While Hindus typically do not exhibit aggressive evangelical fervour, there has been a steady growth of Hindu places of worship across the US with temples that now number more than 100

Welcome - Times Of India ePaper

prahladh

Respected Member
many Americans no longer believe in the idea that theirs (Christianity) is the only true religion and all others are false,
I'm sure Jesus didn't say this and it was added by some saint. Does this appear in Bible. Any Christians here.

prahladh

Respected Member
Sir, Unless u elaborate rather than end with calling us Idiot, its a useless onliner.

Officer of Engineers

Professional
Are you both really that dumb that people who have been to church or at least knew of church all their lives would readily abandon their church for something that they never heard of?

prahladh

Respected Member
Are you both really that dumb that people who have been to church or at least knew of church all their lives would readily abandon their church for something that they never heard of?
I didn't support this article or say anything about abondoning. Neither does the article. I only question about the existence of the saying in the Bible I quoted.

Please read the posts carefully if you have enough time or try to know our context first.

Officer of Engineers

Professional
I didn't support this article or say anything about abondoning. Neither does the article. I only question about the existence of the saying in the Bible I quoted.

Please read the posts carefully if you have enough time or try to know our context first.
God is personal. What is between God and me is between God and me. It is not even between God and my daughter. I hope she will learn God's voice but that is between God and her and I have absolutely no place in that conservation.

So, right here, you're telling me that I am Hindu just because I talked to God.

prahladh

Respected Member
God is personal. What is between God and me is between God and me. It is not even between God and my daughter. I hope she will learn God's voice but that is between God and her and I have absolutely no place in that conservation.

So, right here, you're telling me that I am Hindu just because I talked to God.
Just clarify whats idiotic in my first post (postno.3). Its not my prerogative to tell you what to do or what to follow, and so I didn't. I only asked a question. Please read post No.3

Vikramaditya

Country flag
Its not we who has written this article.......

We are not saying that christian should converte to other religion and HELLOooo no one is getting converted here so don't panic..

Read the article carefully..you come to what the author is saying...

It says that christian are started believing other religion too so whats wrong in that,they has started to believe in God more then their religion so whats wrong in that....

"Respect other they will respect you"

Officer of Engineers

Professional
Do you know internet etiquette? Unless you've post your views counter to the stated article, the very fact that you are posting article automatically assumes that you are in suppor of the article.

You collect articles. You don't collect toilet paper.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
This article doesn't say that American Christians are turning to hinduism but they are doing certain things such as believing in reincarnation, believing that salvation also occurs through other ways (as in through other religions as well), which makes them look like as if they are following Hinduism, but in fact it is not true. The author has over interpreted actions of the people and put a hinduism brand on such actions, which I think is outright stupid.

pyromaniac

Founding Member
I understand that you are on a one man crusade to rid this forum of low quality posts, morons and such but please do make an effort to control your temper. There is no use "yelling" at people over the Internet. If you find something not up to quality there are better ways to let people know as berating them is really not going to solve much.

prahladh

Respected Member
Do you know internet etiquette? Unless you've post your views counter to the stated article, the very fact that you are posting article automatically assumes that you are in suppor of the article.

You collect articles. You don't collect toilet paper.
Unless I know facts I can't counter or approve with anyone/article. Hence I asked a question to clear my doubts to start with, since I'm not well versed with Bible. But you had to step in and declare I'm an idiot without stating any reason.
Do you know the no.1 internet etiquette is to be couteous and respectful to others. Also another internet etiquette is to think before posting.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
People we should have some standards for the forum. I request mod to set standard and as members we should try our best to keep discussion regarding religion out of the forum.

A.V.

no religious discussions on DFI the thread is closed
lots of religious discussions on other religious fora

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles