America To Become Pawn In Next Great Game?

Phenom

Disputes with China can be resolved by both sides if it reaches a point of national security for both.
The dispute with China is not just about land, its about who is going to be the dominant force in Asia. That can never be resolved until one country agrees to play second fiddle to another.

The Chinese have settled their border dispute with every other major power, by giving up some of their claims, but they haven't done this with India. Also Imagine how the Russia-China relation would be if the Chinese were supplying weapons to Georgia. But the Chinese are not doing that because they have already decided who their friends are going to be and who is going to their main adversary.

They realize India is an emerging threat and thus they are doing everything they could to keep India in check. Unless India agrees to play second fiddle to them, I don't think this Pan-Asian alliance is possible.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
The Chinese have settled their border dispute with every other major power, by giving up some of their claims, but they haven't done this with India.
fair enough and i have heard this bit for quite some time now, but how is it that we have not been able to address any of our border disputes be it either with bangladesh or nepal, pakistan or china, on the contrary china has been able to settle all their border disputes but not with us, surely something must be amiss somewhere, right? or is the theory similar to what one listens from pakistan where every bomb blast has links to outside intel agencies than a problem with in that it is the mighty china which is making sure these disputes stay alive, and if so, then we really do need to be scared off them for they have too much of leverage.

is it not the same china that we worked out our dispute over sikkim?

Phenom

fair enough and i have heard this bit for quite some time now, but how is it that we have not been able to address any of our border disputes be it either with bangladesh or nepal, pakistan or china,
That's because the Chinese had given up a large portion of their claim to settle their dispute. Tell me which govt could do that in India and not come under serious attack from the opposition. China has the capacity to make border disputes vanish (thanks to their state controlled media and one party system), but for some reason they haven't done this with India. I don't know what their intention is, but they clearly are not interested in giving up claims on Indian territory as of now.

Over the years, the Chinese have made one thing clear, that they look forward to being the top power in Asia. So the question is, can India accept a Chinese dominated Asia? If yes, then India and China will not have much problem, If no then I can't see these countries being anything other than rivals.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
That's because the Chinese had given up a large portion of their claim to settle their dispute. Tell me which govt could do that in India and not come under serious attack from the opposition. China has the capacity to make border disputes vanish (thanks to their state controlled media and one party system), but for some reason they haven't done this with India. I don't know what their intention is, but they clearly are not interested in giving up claims on Indian territory as of now.

Over the years, the Chinese have made one thing clear, that they look forward to being the top power in Asia. So the question is, can India accept a Chinese dominated Asia? If yes, then India and China will not have much problem, If no then I can't see these countries being anything other than rivals.
in that case it should be them who should give up all the claims they have, but then what is it that we have on offer for them, diplomacy is no charity for sure, its all about give and take said in the most sweetest or the harshest manner and possibly what they ask for in return we dont have to offer or we are not willing to bargain with, possibly they want to see dalai lama and all the tibetans be handed over or may be something else, i surely am not aware off.

the point i have is it takes two to tango, we cant completely blame them especially when the details are not shared about what is on the table for negotiation. as far as their superiority, fair enough no disputing there and they certainly come across as a suspect there and for that i feel we need to make ourselves strong enough to make sure they get ready to share the power structure not just in asia but when the time comes then all across the globe for which i feel there is a lot of time, certainly not less than another 3 decades by when we should in shape to clip the americans economically to take the number two slot if every thing was to go as expected.

Phenom

in that case it should be them who should give up all the claims they have, but then what is it that we have on offer for them, diplomacy is no charity for sure, its all about give and take said in the most sweetest or the harshest manner and possibly what they ask for in return we dont have to offer or we are not willing to bargain with, possibly they want to see dalai lama and all the tibetans be handed over or may be something else, i surely am not aware off.
Chinese didn't get much in return from their deals with Vietnam and Russia, but they were willing to make a deal. We won't know the exact reason, but if I have a take a guess I would say the reason is

1. They think the border dispute is the only thing holding off better ties with these countries, so they want to end it asap.
2. The land they were giving up claims on, are not that important, tactically or strategically.

Assuming these are the main reason, why haven't they done the same with India
1. Chinese realize that the confrontation with India is about more than just the borders, even if border dispute is resolved other problem still remain, so why give up claim.
2. The land in question is what they call southern Tibet, too important for them to just wish it away.

And more than all this, the bigger problem for better ties between the two countries are India's association with Dalai lama and China's association with Pakistan. Is India willing to abandon Dalai lama? Is China willing to abandon Pakistan? Probably not in both cases.

So how could the two countries get to a stage where they could actually become allies.

the point i have is it takes two to tango, we cant completely blame them especially when the details are not shared about what is on the table for negotiation.
I am not blaming them at all, I understand their PoV. I understand why they do, what they do. All I am saying is that the ambitions of both the countries are very large and they are often overlapping. In such a scenario, alliance with China is not likely.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Chinese didn't get much in return from their deals with Vietnam and Russia, but they were willing to make a deal.
How do you know the exact details of these deals, you surely do not expect a commie china or a commie vietnam or a highly restrictive and conservative russia to make every thing public, heck we dont even know what exact are the details of the negotiation going on between india and china where the scope of leaks is way-way more since in our country every tom, **** and harry who is shown a few ghandi notes is too eager to share all the details with media.

1. They think the border dispute is the only thing holding off better ties with these countries, so they want to end it asap.
2. The land they were giving up claims on, are not that important, tactically or strategically.
Chinese highly suspects the russians and same is the case with veitnam, they hardly have any faith in them much like the way it is with india, on the contrary india has excellent relations with both these countries with which the chinese are certainly not comfortable.

I have mentioned this before, they have settled sikkim after all which was again a part of south tibet, may be we are jumping the gun too soon, may be there will be a day when we can settle out these disputes.

Don't you feel there is too much speculation around on which we are trying to base this discussion. Other than a handful experts who tend to give just one side of the picture and ToI/times now not many fault the whole thing, others see it as an on going process which will take its own time.

And more than all this, the bigger problem for better ties between the two countries are India's association with Dalai lama and China's association with Pakistan. Is India willing to abandon Dalai lama? Is China willing to abandon Pakistan? Probably not in both cases.
Yes there is the pakistan angle and absolutely no denying that but was the same pakistan also not doing a lap dance with the americans sometime back but we don't have a problem sitting around with the same americans now, it is also the same america which quite literally looked the other side when pakistan was making those nuke weapons, and they still are arming them with f16s, harpoos and a lot more which has absolutley nothing to do with the WoT. A few days back ajtr made a valid point, we pay billions and billions for each weapon purchase from the americans but the same americans dole out critically harmful weapon systems that can be used against as aid, so in a way are we not financing the same weapon supply to the pakistanis, so does that not make us our own worse enemies? Leave that alone in the past russians have armed the chinese to teeth, a country which is seen as a military and strategic challenge to us but still we call russians our best friends.

I have a feel that we remian largely suspect of the chinese because of 62 more than anything else, which is again fair enough but I doubt the chinese will ever dare such a misadventure or they will be left with a bloody nose, a huge economic lose and the dream of being a super power unfulfilled, they wont even dare a war on the taiwan issue, they will try and talk that out as well.

I am not sure if india is willing to abandon dalai lama or not, may be we could if the chinese were to come up with an exceptional deal since national interest is paramount, who knows.

So how could the two countries get to a stage where they could actually become allies.
The reason I think this can happen is because our two countries share a border and it will be only sensible for both to have a meaningful relationship than one which is too tensed. Kindly reflect a year back when the media was filled with news of border dispute but where has all that disappeared now, it surely shows that there are sensible heads on both sides who do not want to flare up things as happened in 62.

May be not exactly allies, but when you talk about sharing a wider role at the world stage you make sure there is no vacuum left for someone else to fill up that space, and so I mentioned let china be with the rouges and we align with not so rouge states and still at the end of the day have a reltionship with the chinese where we don't openly challenge each other or harm each others interests and if that can be worked out, it is good enough.

SilentScope

I think that all four powers are going to play to their strengths

China and India are going to play the economic game and try to exert influence using their money
USA is going to play the military game.
Russia can play both.

Russia seems to be trying to reextend the iron curtain by setting up puppet governments in former USSR countries using KGB

USA + Israel is threatening war with Iran, they just hit Iran with the strongest sanctions and strongarmed russia and china into agreeing with it. They have also moved most of their fleet near Iran. Syria has given permission to USA + Israel jets to fly over.

The USA also has other goals, they are trying to contain China.

China is trying to secure her natural resources by controlling the Indian sea since that is the passage where oil is shipped from the middle east to China. They are also trying to reunify with Taiwan and hold onto the islands that all the south east asian countries are fighting over.

India is trying weaken China by supporting separatist factions (Dalai Llama) but otherwise seems content with sitting back and relaxing.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles