AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

SARTHAK

Country flag
this will be a real game changer after rf stealth , because irst was only challenge(along with low freq radar) to stealth and now irst will have problems
btw ,4.5 gen jets can also have this so i believe after 4-5 we will see rafale or tejas mk2 painted with ir stealth coat , according to alpha defense work on ir stealth coat has been started in collab with iit

Bhartiya Sainik

Country flag
this will be a real game changer after rf stealth , because irst was only challenge(along with low freq radar) to stealth and now irst will have problems
I'm not sure what is it bcoz it doesn't cover entire body from all angles. Belly & underside of wing are not covered. SWB covered but not MWB/UWB. Rudder covered but not tail-plane.
It could be adaptive IR camouflage, passive RF panel or laser reflective panels, etc.

SARTHAK

Country flag
I'm not sure what is it bcoz it doesn't cover entire body from all angles. Belly & underside of wing are not covered. SWB covered but not MWB/UWB. Rudder covered but not tail-plane.
It could be adaptive IR camouflage, passive RF panel or laser reflective panels, etc.
ir stealth is the most prominent theory about the coating (as told by defense experts)

Bhartiya Sainik

Country flag
ir stealth is the most prominent theory about the coating (as told by defense experts)
Could be but in that case belly shouldn't have been left. There are ventilation grills beneath.
Rafale has used composite materials to greatly reduce IRS. But a typical composite skin or IR coating will be stealthy in RF bands is also a question. So either a superb material with reduced RCS & IRS is needed or the IR coating/panel needs to be covered by RAM.
Now when DEWwill be reality in 6th gen then laser reflective skin is also requirement.
So ultimate challenge is reduced IRS+RCS+DEW damage reduction.

Bhartiya Sainik

Country flag
AMCA is expected around 2029. It will require around 5 years of testing post first flight.
IMRH is still in design phase. Its specification is not fixed yet.
Sometimes i wonder that today in era of advanced computing 5 years is long period for testing. :playball:🥴

brat4

Country flag
Sometimes i wonder that today in era of advanced computing 5 years is long period for testing. :playball:🥴
there is a LOT of items to be tested and verified in a new airplane - that too as complex as AMCA
dont underestimate the process of learning through these tests
everyone we take a short cut and import an item, it adds to the tech debt of having to learn it form scratch but 10-20 years later- when other countries will be working on 3rd or 4th gen stuff.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Testing is manual and physical.

You can't test a new plane via software whose behavioral characteristics are not know and only theoretically predicated.

Simulation software will also be developed during this stage that will be used during weapons integration and testing.

Bhartiya Sainik

Country flag
Testing is manual and physical.
You can't test a new plane via software whose behavioral characteristics are not know and only theoretically predicated.
Simulation software will also be developed during this stage that will be used during weapons integration and testing.
there is a LOT of items to be tested and verified in a new airplane - that too as complex as AMCA
dont underestimate the process of learning through these tests
everyone we take a short cut and import an item, it adds to the tech debt of having to learn it form scratch but 10-20 years later- when other countries will be working on 3rd or 4th gen stuff.
I understand flying the real jet in air can only be predicted in sims &testing has to be done in multple environments, time, altitude, etc. But AMCA has the same typical tandem bi-plane design & MK1 with GE414 engine won't have TVC.
S/w coding also evolves with time. We are in era of machine-learning & AI. Perhaps some changes can be done on-the-fly like changing limits of actions & responses of control surfaces, etc.
Anyways i hope 5 years doesn't stretch. The Chinese surprised everybody twice with J-20 & J-35, now we have to do something fast.

Ar.gaurav28

Country flag
I’m abit confused right now are developing 110kn engine or 125kn one?
i think govt is jv with both Safran & RR
With safran the engine is being pursued which will be based on m88 thus higher chances of getting that engine within 7-8 yrs
JV with RR will be a next generation engine can take upto 2035 to be developed!

SARTHAK

Country flag
I’m abit confused right now are developing 110kn engine or 125kn one?
i think govt is jv with both Safran & RR
With safran the engine is being pursued which will be based on m88 thus higher chances of getting that engine within 7-8 yrs
JV with RR will be a next generation engine can take upto 2035 to be developed!
first of all stop watching this channel better watch alpha defense or defense decode for updates

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
What are the characteristics of 6th gen?
When we speak about characteristics of 6th generation fighters than we expect some of the following:-
  • Advanced digital capabilities including high-capacity networking, AI, data fusion, cyber warfare, D2D and battlefield command, control and communications (C3) capabilities.
  • Optionally manned, with the same airframe capable of conducting piloted, remote controlled or onboard-AI controlled missions.
  • Enhanced human-systems integration, with virtual cockpits presented via helmet-mounted displays which allow the pilot 360-degree vision with AI-enhanced battlefield awareness, and replacing conventional instrument panels.
  • Advanced stealth airframes and avionics.
  • Advanced variable-cycle engines able to cruise economically but still deliver high thrust when required.
  • Increased-range stand off and BVR weapons.
  • Potential use of directed-energy weapons such as a laser CIWS.
[SOURCE : WIKIPEDIA]

Shekhar Singh

Country flag
When we speak about characteristics of 6th generation fighters than we expect some of the following:-
  • Advanced digital capabilities including high-capacity networking, AI, data fusion, cyber warfare, D2D and battlefield command, control and communications (C3) capabilities.
  • Optionally manned, with the same airframe capable of conducting piloted, remote controlled or onboard-AI controlled missions.
  • Enhanced human-systems integration, with virtual cockpits presented via helmet-mounted displays which allow the pilot 360-degree vision with AI-enhanced battlefield awareness, and replacing conventional instrument panels.
  • Advanced stealth airframes and avionics.
  • Advanced variable-cycle engines able to cruise economically but still deliver high thrust when required.
  • Increased-range stand off and BVR weapons.
  • Potential use of directed-energy weapons such as a laser CIWS.
[SOURCE : WIKIPEDIA]
So, These are mostly AMCA mk2 configurations. Then what @Bhartiya Sainik is talking about? AHCA? Who is developing AHCA? If these are AMCA's mk2 characteristics then what will be the AHCA features?

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
So, These are mostly AMCA mk2 configurations. Then what @Bhartiya Sainik is talking about? AHCA? Who is developing AHCA? If these are AMCA's mk2 characteristics then what will be the AHCA features?
When @Bhartiya Sainik is speaking about AHCA, he is trying to propose a heavyweight stealth fighter based on AMCA's Technology.

AMCA stands for "Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft" whereas AHCA as proposed by @Bhartiya Sainik stands for "Advanced Heavy Combat Aircraft".

From my POV, AMCA MK-1 will be 5th gen, MK-2 will be 5.5 gen and if something like AHCA does come out than it will be 6th generation.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles