AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Dude APU is present in all the existing 5th gen jets but none of them have such scoop after applying so much efforts I don't think they would do such mistake.
That one.. may not remain at the end.

And we don't know if it's unstealthy. There's edge-alignment & if they've put it there once, they may keep it there for the same reason. 😅

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I thi

There is some misunderstanding going on here: My clear statement is that the F-22 will be significantly behind the AMCA on avionics and also the MWF (on some aspects), as well as the F4 Rafale. WRT kinematic performance it's ahead of all three as per available literature.
Ok. Copy.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Some one said amca would have 80% composite material by weight and would surpass USAF F22 in RCS,is it true?
This part is very muddy... We don't know the exact details about these comp materials.
Take for example how some people use to harp of LCA being light due to composites, but turns out it's final model is 200kg heavier than aluminium FC-1.

Composites are not magic you know! It's just a mixture of multiple materials combined to achieve a specific target... But that purpose could be structural strengthening, or extension of life cycle etc. It isn't weightless & 100% radar absorbant miracle.

Last edited:

Trololo

Country flag
No claims.. It should beat Su-57, but I doubt it'll reach F-22/35 level.. They concentrated fully on the stealth & they have RCS the size of a bee & sparrow respectively. Bit unnecessary if you have active EW system. 0.05m² is the size of a crow, 1 m² is the size of a crane.

The present one is 95% that design only, but with significant refinements here & there.

This here is an intermediate stage.. You'll notive the vertical stabilisers lost their previous shape (<link) & tail-extensions still retain their old look, while the horizontal stabilisers have been clipped.
Ad17-08.02.59.jpg
One of the earlier designs of the AMCA had edge matching of the horizontal stabilisers and the wings. And the horizontal stabilisers were tucked into the end of the wings similar to the F-22 and Su-57. The new design has a gap between the wing and horizontal stabilisers now

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Agreed.. Note, that 0.05m² is just random estimate compared to Su-57, but while flying externally clean AMCA will decimate any non-stealthy competition like Rafale.

RCS is always coupled with EW. Noone will depend solely on stealth.. That'd be stupid!
Any info on active stealth on AMCA?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Any info on active stealth on AMCA?
No 😅 Noone will know that.

One of the earlier designs of the AMCA had edge matching of the horizontal stabilisers and the wings. And the horizontal stabilisers were tucked into the end of the wings similar to the F-22 and Su-57. The new design has a gap between the wing and horizontal stabilisers now
IMG_20210510_125801.png

Model 3b-06.. I marked roughly how the changes went.

And yes, that should have been stealthier (in theory). But following that they did several changes to increase area-ruling coef. & pitch control at no high AoA.

Last edited:

MirageBlue

Country flag
No claims.. It should beat Su-57, but I doubt it'll reach F-22/35 level.. They concentrated fully on the stealth & they have RCS the size of a bee & sparrow respectively. Bit unnecessary if you have active EW system. 0.05m² is the size of a crow, 1 m² is the size of a crane.

The present one is 95% that design only, but with significant refinements here & there.

This here is an intermediate stage.. You'll notive the vertical stabilisers lost their previous shape (<link) & tail-extensions still retain their old look, while the horizontal stabilisers have been clipped.
Ad17-08.02.59.jpg
Whoa! That's gold!

What's the source of that image, if I may ask?

Trololo

Country flag
No 😅 Noone will know that.

View attachment 88886
Model 3b-06.. And yes, that should have been stealthier (in theory). But following that they did several changes to increase area-ruling coef. & pitch control at no high AoA.
Ok...the current design's wings aren't exactly trapezoidal anymore. From behind looks like a mishmash of a delta and a trapezoid. Also other than the nozzles and side bays how exactly does the 3B06 differ from the F-22's design, with the latter having such high kinematic performance?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
how exactly does the 3B06 differ from the F-22's design, with the latter having such high kinematic performance?
T/W.. Just that.
Presently AMCA will outperform both at every aspect if the engine are adjusyed to produce just enough power to get same T/W ratio.

3b-06 is very close to what KF-X is, other than that they too adopted the similar horizontal stabilisers as out previous AMCA iteration (So I'm suspecting that "stealthy stabilisers" aren't really aerodynamically efficient)

Trololo

Country flag
Back when I was in college abroad not too long ago, research was going on to design compact and extremely powerful computer cards with COTS hardware to act as pocket Deep Learning rigs. Each card had dual high end Snapdragons and 32 GB of memory. 4 of these cards were stacked together in a compact box with cooling and power supply to run DL models and showed very promising performance. With the kind of tech that's getting rolled into the AMCA, I wonder if India is pursuing such technology.

Trololo

Country flag
T/W.. Just that.
Presently AMCA will outperform both at every aspect if the engine are adjusyed to produce just enough power to get same T/W ratio.

3b-06 is very close to what KF-X is, other than that they too adopted the similar horizontal stabilisers as out previous AMCA iteration (So I'm suspecting that "stealthy stabilisers" aren't really aerodynamically efficient)
Why will it outperform both?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
@Trololo Oh & F-22's TVC ofcourse.. Just check performance difference of J-10 to see how much difference thrust-vectoring can make.

Why will it outperform both?
Same reason as being discussed above... Stealthy is aerodynamically inefficient.

That's why we changed AMCA's vertical as well as horizontal stabilisers & changes the upper fuselage shape, especially the portion behind canopy to adhere more to area-ruling.

Last edited:

Trololo

Country flag
@Trololo Oh & F-22's TVC ofcourse.. Just check performance difference of J-20 to see how much difference thrust-vectoring can make.
TVC is great for nose pointing ability but won't it cause a lot of drop in energy? AFAIK in a real turning fight the one with the higher T/W ratio is king.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles