Al-Khalid MBT And Pakistani Armour

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
IDEAS 2018: Heavy Industries Taxila unveils new Viper Infantry Fighting Vehicle

The Viper is a further development of the Talha armoured personnel carrier, which is a modern variant of the well-known American M-113 APC, produced in this country for a long time.

The vehicle integrates a remote control combat module which mainly incorporates Russian systems. It features a 2A42 30 mm automatic cannon, an NSV 12.7 mm machine gun mounted above the gun, and two AT-5B Konkurs-M anti-tank guided missiles on the left side of the turret. A digital optronic sensor also provides EO/IR sights for the gunner and commander. This modular optronic mast is ideal for long day and night surveillance missions.

The Viper can carry up to nine dismounted soldier and a crew of three: a driver, a gunner and the vehicle’s commander.

In its basic version, the Viper has a MTOW of 11,000 kg. It is powered by a 360 hp diesel engine, providing a maximum speed of 62 km/h.

As it can be seen on the pictures, the HIT designers have seriously worked on enhancing the protection. Besides extensive armor plates, the vehicle is also equipped with two series of four smoke grenade launchers mounted on each side of the 2A42 gun. The crew compartment includes suspended seats for a better survivability against IEDs and mines.

According to local media, the Viper IFV will undergo acceptability trials soon.

Heavy Industries Taxila is one of the largest defence manufacturer in Pakistan and has grown into a military industrial complex since its foundation 1971.
Paki-Chink enhanced M113 based, Saad APC.
9 dismounted soldiers capacity means Pakis would leave us in the dust on the IFV race too... Thankfully it was probably a flop & I've heard nothing in last 2 years.

Nonetheless, decent attempt.
DtFlQsLWsAIRr6x.jpg

Last edited:

Swiftfarts

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
They are investing there money properly despite low budget.
Where are they investing there money properly? most of there tanks are junk , even the latest one being bought from China is not that great or provide any decisive advantage.
Airforce is inducting junk 17, which is even worse than Tejas, and this tin can above will now leave us in a dust :rofl: . I always thought this forum is run by pukes and Chinese behind the scenes or people with vested interest. I know firmly believe the former is true.

Swiftfarts

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
They are getting full Chinese version of VT4s with no export downgrade like Thailand or Nigeria got

They will also get full overhaul capabilities including engine overhaul

Plus tot of era, and China's anti atgm system I forget what it's called

They will get around 1200 VT4s and expand the AK1 production and release AK2 with with tot from VT4 used in the production and they are thinking again of 1000+ AK1 and 1000+AK2

That's considerable any which way you look at it

Also they inducted the A100 in big numbers and rumours are these are being increased with purchases of further A200, A300 etc but this is not confirmed but I wouldn't be surprised
They can get VT 4 in all it's configuration. India is upgrading T 72 which is more than enough to deal with that junk forget T 90.

VT 4 is a glorified tin can by people with vested interests, some are active member in this forum. Don't read to much stuff on PDF from so called think tank analyst or expert's.

IMG_20201020_163157.jpg

This is the level of delusion among pukes :lol:
i hope they induct 2000 of these.:rofl:

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Same firepower as BMP-2 (& OFB FICV) but 9 troops against our 7... This face-2-face seating arrangement also is more spacious allowing carrying more heavy weaponry.

Copying this pattern would be nice.
Paki-Chink enhanced M113 based, Saad APC.
9 dismounted soldiers capacity means Pakis would leave us in the dust on the IFV race too... Thankfully it was probably a flop & I've heard nothing in last 2 years.

Nonetheless, decent attempt. View attachment 63750
Calling it better than FICV by only judging its firepower and carrying capacity is bad judgement.
Any Armoured Fighting Vehicle is meant to be a judicious balance of Firepower, Protection and Mobility

Protection-wise, this M113 derivative will fare very poorly. Its even worse than a vanilla BMP-2. This is a tracked ICV with protection level worse than a wheeled ICV like Striker or WhAP.

Mobility-wise its inferior to even the Abhay ICV, forget FICV. In fact, its mobility will likely decrease below even a BMP-2 due to addition of the turret.

Firepower: Impressive on paper, but will its turret be stabilized like FICV's? Will it carry the same amount of munition?

And that 9 soldier carrying capacity does not mean $hit for us. Indian Mechanized Infantry stick is 7-men strong. Changing the number should be a matter of choice. Yet the Indian Army continues to stick to it because it makes sense for that additional weight capacity to go towards improving the protection of the ICV rather than increasing the bayonet strength.

Like I said, any Armoured Fighting Vehicle is a judicious mix of Firepower, Protection and Mobility. M113 was designed as an APC, not as an ICV. Today, years after it has met obsolesence, you think that the Pakis can just turn it around by slapping a turret on it? There is no balance in this vehicle. You give the Pakis too much credit.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Calling it better than FICV by only judging its firepower and carrying capacity is bad judgement.
Any Armoured Fighting Vehicle is meant to be a judicious balance of Firepower, Protection and Mobility

Protection-wise, this M113 derivative will fare very poorly. Its even worse than a vanilla BMP-2. This is a tracked ICV with protection level worse than a wheeled ICV like Striker or WhAP.

Mobility-wise its inferior to even the Abhay ICV, forget FICV. In fact, its mobility will likely decrease below even a BMP-2 due to addition of the turret.

Firepower: Impressive on paper, but will its turret be stabilized like FICV's? Will it carry the same amount of munition?

And that 9 soldier carrying capacity does not mean $hit for us. Indian Mechanized Infantry stick is 7-men strong. Changing the number should be a matter of choice. Yet the Indian Army continues to stick to it because it makes sense for that additional weight capacity to go towards improving the protection of the ICV rather than increasing the bayonet strength.

Like I said, any Armoured Fighting Vehicle is a judicious mix of Firepower, Protection and Mobility. M113 was designed as an APC, not as an ICV. Today, years after it has met obsolesence, you think that the Pakis can just turn it around by slapping a turret on it? There is no balance in this vehicle. You give the Pakis too much credit.
Ok. Fair points.

Still IMO APCs with 9-10 troop carrying hold an inherant advantage to 6-7 troop IFVs... Especially in the upcoming APS & unmanned-turret era.

"Pritection" in troop carriers will never rise beyond STANAG-6 at front like in FICV, atleast not in South Asia.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
"Pritection" in troop carriers will never rise beyond STANAG-6 at front like in FICV, atleast not in South Asia.
True that since the majority of the top brass do not appear to have any clue as to what they need nor they care about the safety of their personnel.

Akula

Country flag
As per sources delivery of Pantsir-S 1 Air Defense System to Pakistan is in final stages. Pakistan & Russia can reach the agreement for the license production of AK-103 Assault Rifle for Pakistan Army.
Sach hai ya jhoot but we are signing a deal of Ak-203(sorry sasta AK-103).

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
As per sources delivery of Pantsir-S 1 Air Defense System to Pakistan is in final stages. Pakistan & Russia can reach the agreement for the license production of AK-103 Assault Rifle for Pakistan Army.
In the similar way they were buying su 35, s 400 and t90 tanks 😒😒
Even mi 35 helicopter is very old and being retired in many air force

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Ok. Fair points.

Still IMO APCs with 9-10 troop carrying hold an inherant advantage to 6-7 troop IFVs... Especially in the upcoming APS & unmanned-turret era.

I went and checked the FICV's project brief, the Army is asking for a 3 member crew and a stick of 8 men. That is a total of 11 men, same as the Pakistani M113.
Also remember, the Pakistani M113 ICV variant (if it ever sees service, I seriously doubt it will) will require at least 3 men to crew it (driver, gunner, commander). That leaves them with an 8-man stick, same as the Indian Army.

As long as we can get some Active Protection System on the FICV (Army has mentioned it as a requirement), STANAG-6 would be sufficient for a long time. I would much rather we raise more Mech Inf Battalions, Armoured Regiments and Attack Heptrs, instead of spending that money on Namer-type heavy ICV. I don't think any large Army is going to go for heavy ICV like that en masse.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles