Al-Khalid MBT And Pakistani Armour

Bhadra

Country flag
Re: Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

Janes interview from pakistnai officials in ideas def expo 2012 nov.
in the interview they claimed that the autoloader can store 24 rounds.while all the previous while in all the previous info we read 22.
@Akim said the autoloader of Al khalid is Ural. easier to built but has many problem later if the tank is hit or related
@Farhan --- since when have you become tank expert.... Ha Ha Ha.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Dazzler

Janes interview from pakistnai officials in ideas def expo 2012 nov.
in the interview they claimed that the autoloader can store 24 rounds.while all the previous while in all the previous info we read 22.
@Akim said the autoloader of Al khalid is Ural. easier to built but has many problem later if the tank is hit or related
If HIT source is to be believed, AK autoloader was modified atleast twice to accomodate longer rounds than the Chine Type-2, One is tungsten alloy and the other is a DU type but designations are not given. We do know about Naiza-1 and possibly Naiza-2 but one more? Could be for upcoming AK-2 which will house a new autoloader. Ukrainians are helping a great deal in AK-2

Intriguing.

The Last Stand

Country flag

@Dazzler, there isn't enough space in the crew compartment for a round twice the size of the Type-IIM.

Very interesting as you say though. Will we ever get images or data about these rounds?

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned

If HIT source is to be believed, AK autoloader was modified atleast twice to accomodate longer rounds than the Chine Type-2, One is tungsten alloy and the other is a DU type but designations are not given. We do know about Naiza-1 and possibly Naiza-2 but one more? Could be for upcoming AK-2 which will house a new autoloader. Ukrainians are helping a great deal in AK-2

Intriguing.
I have seen many such post from credible PAKDEF poster.even rommel once posted new pics of Latest AK interior.but i dont have account of PAKDEF and cant see the pics.since they are uploaded into the forum.

we need something in the form of proof.
Do you have account on PAKDEF?if yes than ask rommel about the pics.or ask him to capture new pics of AK interior.

The Last Stand

Country flag

@farhan_9909 - Is PAKDEF different from DEFPK? Because I positively saw you on DEFPK.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned

@farhan_9909 - Is PAKDEF different from DEFPK? Because I positively saw you on DEFPK.
yes pakdef.org is different.more than 12 years old and first pak defence forum.
many member over there are either ex military officials,present as well..i had made account in pakdef in 2011.but they dont let you post.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned

Courtesy a turkish member

Re: ROKETSAN Altay's Armour is Ready Qualified Successfully

Great News

Altay

ALTAY Turkish Main Battle Tank's Armour system is qualified on the tests conducted in June and July. Roketsan, designer, producer and tester of the system announced that the test were successfully completed.

Altay

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned

More and More info out about the atlay tank armour tests and the compositon

Please guys ! Translate. ^^

Simulation related to armour development of Altay.

Thank you ! :smart:

Bonus. ^^

That is some thick multi-layer roof to armour of Altay 'without the external composite armour'.

I believe this is a 3D model which distubuted years ago. There could have been changes while developing the Altay. We can't know for sure how the final turret is going to look like.

-----------------------------------------

Guys what we know about Altay's Armour is;

"Boron Carbide based new unspecified type composite armour"

What we know about the Boron Carbide is , it is the 3rd hardest material in the world after diamond and tungusten carbide. When evaluated with other ceramics which take part in armor systems; boron carbide is the hardest and lightest, but also the most expensive and brittle. Boron carbide composites are today favoured for ceramic plates protecting against smaller projectiles, such as used in body armour and armoured helicopters;

As far as i know; Altay will be the first tank to use boron carbide based armour. Inaddition Turkey has 63% of the world's boron reserves.

Any addition ?

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned

does the lighter tanks or tanks under 50 tons like al khalid,oplot,t-80ud,t-90 and the latest variant

do they also use armour based of boron carbide?
al khalid is said to have a composite armour?does it mean al khalid armour is also based of boron carbide?

what about the heavy tanks of china.do they use boron carbide?or the ukrainian tanks?

Damian

Boron Carbide might be very hard and very light, but is also very brittle, it is not the best idea to use it as majority component of composite armor.

Better is to eventually encase boron carbide plates in steel in a honeycomb structure.

As for your question about tanks, maybe but I doubt, these tanks were made to be affordable. You really believe that Pakistan with it's GDP is capable to afford tanks with armor made mostly from such expensive material?

And why for? It's brittleness means that after one hit, it literally disintegrates in to small fragments.

So no, actually nobody use boron carbide on a large scale, simply because it is not the most affordable solution, neither the best one. And the whole idea of composite armor is to pack up different materials in such a way, that they will supplement each other and work togheter to stop projectile.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned

Boron Carbide might be very hard and very light, but is also very brittle, it is not the best idea to use it as majority component of composite armor.

Better is to eventually encase boron carbide plates in steel in a honeycomb structure.

As for your question about tanks, maybe but I doubt, these tanks were made to be affordable. You really believe that Pakistan with it's GDP is capable to afford tanks with armor made mostly from such expensive material?

And why for? It's brittleness means that after one hit, it literally disintegrates in to small fragments.

So no, actually nobody use boron carbide on a large scale, simply because it is not the most affordable solution, neither the best one. And the whole idea of composite armor is to pack up different materials in such a way, that they will supplement each other and work togheter to stop projectile.
if i post a picture of al khalid from inside during manufacturing like the last picture of atlay in my above post.

Can we understand the armour thickness/composition of Aj khalid armour?

Because i have recently found one

The Last Stand

Country flag

@farhan_9909

To guess composition, we need to conduct extensive lab tests.

Thickness estimation can be possible, round up 20-30 good quality images and send via PM to militarysta, methos, dejawolf and STGN and request them to put forward their work in the MBT-2000/Al-Khalid thread.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned

@farhan_9909

To guess composition, we need to conduct extensive lab tests.

Thickness estimation can be possible, round up 20-30 good quality images and send via PM to militarysta, methos, dejawolf and STGN and request them to put forward their work in the MBT-2000/Al-Khalid thread.
i do have official 3d images of Al khalid..more than 10

Dazzler

I have seen many such post from credible PAKDEF poster.even rommel once posted new pics of Latest AK interior.but i dont have account of PAKDEF and cant see the pics.since they are uploaded into the forum.

we need something in the form of proof.
Do you have account on PAKDEF?if yes than ask rommel about the pics.or ask him to capture new pics of AK interior.
yes i do have an account there, Rommel is a well informed guy and has provided indepth knowledge on Pakistani armour/ tanks but he rarely posts these days. Will try to contact him ASAP.

Regarding Boron Carbide use in Pakistani tanks, i will do more search on this.

Dazzler

Soner 1980 (the guy who disclosed turkish and pakistani composite armour deal back in 2006) wrote on defencetalk forum.

The Al Khalid has modular composite armor plating. Replaceable when newer tech has been discovered and also when it needs replacement after a battle.

Composite armor is not simple like some think. Composite armor has many different types:
Chobham Armor 1st,2nd & 3rd phase, latter with DU plating. (also known as Burlington)
Combination K (the most widespread version from T-64 with glass reinforced plastic)
Multi layer composite - Boron carbide, titanium-di-carbide sandwiched between steel and maybe space with air.
But most of the people think that perforated armor is also composite armor. No, No, No! Perforated armor (in the Leopard-1A3 and Leopard-2A0-A4) has laminate steel with perforated armor plates (steel) filled with foam. When hit, the foam increases in size so it pulls the HEAT round back like Reactive. But the first composite armor was only very effective against HEAT and lesser to APFSDS round. Today, the Chobham armor plating technology is in it's 3rd phase of production. This type is only used in the M1A2 SEP and the Challenger 2E wich is able to counter APFSDS round effectively.

I'm not sure but the Al Khalid also uses Kombination K but the more advanced version of it: With boron carbide instead of glass reinfoced plastic.
Read more: Pakistan to transfer composite armor technology to Turkey. - Page 2 - Defense Technology & Military Forum

Dazzler

@Dazzler, there isn't enough space in the crew compartment for a round twice the size of the Type-IIM.

Very interesting as you say though. Will we ever get images or data about these rounds?
all i can say that i will try to find more info on this.. its ironic how tightly things are covered here but they must have their reasons for it.

Damian

Soner 1980 (the guy who disclosed turkish and pakistani composite armour deal back in 2006) wrote on defencetalk forum.

Read more: Pakistan to transfer composite armor technology to Turkey. - Page 2 - Defense Technology & Military Forum
What a bollocks, how funny is to read posts of people that do not have even smallest idea about subject they talk about.

There were no 3 phases of Burlington armor or Chobham as that guy calls it, not to mention that Chobham armor is someones invention, not a real codename. And Burlington armor is not used by USA from 1988 and by UK from 1990's, and was replaced by Heavy Armor Package in USA and Dorchester armor in UK.

There are so many mistakes, lies and other BS written by this guy, that I give up, it seems that collecting reliable knowledge is beyond some people capability.

Ok I will explain... again...

British (and later also with American cooperation), composite armors were developed within a secret program codenamed "Burlington", within this program several different armors were developed. During development some of the armor projects were abandoned as not promising enough, some were promising and their development was continued.

Now the important thing, we do not know which armor types were choosen, we only know, that general design of these armors, was a composite non energetic reactive armor array, this is all we know for certain, I also seen a mention of a second type which in such array, used also build in explosive reactive armor, but nothing more about it.

These different armor types did not had any codenames, in documents they were only reffered as for exampe "armor array no.4" or "buiscuit no.1" etc. No codenames. So technically these armors should be reffered only as special armors, without codenames.

But for simplicity they are called as "Burlington" armor.

"Chobham" armor is someones invention, nobody really knows from where it came, but it is not official codename for armor development program or any of these armors developed.

Also the US side, had it's own part in whole program, and their development had codename "Starflower" but it is still not a codename for armor itself, M1's armor prior 1988 should allways be reffered as "Special Armor" or "Burlington" and after 1988 it was replaced by "Heavy Armor Package" or HAP for short.

As for generations of armor. The "Burlington" armor had several different variations, only Americans have clearly distinguished two variants of this armor, early used on M1, and later used on M1IP and M1A1.

In 1988 USA fields M1A1HA with new type of armor, HAP, this was it's 1st generation, in 1990 2nd generation is fielded on later production of M1A1HA and new M1A1HC and in 1992 on M1A2. In 1999 3rd generation is fielded on M1A2SEP and in first decade of XXI century and in 2011-2014 period is also integrated with M1A1SA and M1A1FEP.

HAP will soon be replaced by new armor type developed for M1 tanks within ECP modernization.

I will not even mention bollocks this guy writes about Leopard 2 armor.

And what makes him certain that Al Khalid uses "Combination K" :D, what, Pakistanis are still using obsolete alluminium insterts with some ceramic spheres? :D

Also what makes him think that they use Boron Carbide, one of the most expensive ceramics? A richer countries do not have money to use Boron Carbide on a large scale, and here we have guy that thinks that a relatively poorer Pakistan is capable to find a money to pay for a large batch of one of the most expensive ballistic ceramics... is this guy stupid or insanse, or perhaps both?

Last edited:

Articles