Akash Surface-to-air Missile

makmohan

2 More User Trials of Akash by IAF Today

Indian Air Force (IAF) personnel are likely to conduct two more user trials of surface-to-air nuclear capable Akash missile from a defence test facility off the Odisha coast on Tuesday. After the IAF trials, the missile handling wing of Indian Army has planned to carry out a series of trials of Akash.
Defence sources said during the IAF user trial, the anti-aircraft missile would target the tow body suspended from a pilot-less target aircraft (PTA) while the Army would target the French aircraft Mirage in a simulated coordination
. The tests would be conducted from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur-on-sea.
The missile failed to destroy the target hanged down from the PTA during the test on April 23 while on April 26, Akash missile system were test-fired in two separated modes, successfully intercepting the fast moving incoming and receding manoeuvring targets respectively, towed by the unmanned target aircraft.
A source at the test range said after the failed mission when the IAF personnel reportedly warned the Akash team that they would pack up and return back, the Akash project head convened an immediate meeting where he strictly ordered the team to pull up their socks and get the system ready at any cost.

A couple of trials in 2012 had also ended in failure.However, the mission scripted a stupendous success on April 26.
Project Director G Chandramouli said all the mission objectives trials were met and the missile system had performed as expected. "It is a notable achievement that the entire equipment of sophisticated radars, control centres, launchers and ground support systems for IAF have been realised and produced in less than two years indicating the integrated capability of DRDO, DDP, inspection agency MSQAA and Indian Industry," he said. A path has been created for continuous production of sophisticated surface-to-air missile systems in the country through this programme, he added.

--what is exactly meant by "Army would target the French aircraft Mirage in a simulated coordination" ??

Last edited:

Sea Eagle

--what is exactly meant by "Army would target the French aircraft Mirage in a simulated coordination" ??
They gonna simulate that a Mirage is coming for attack and then destroy it...
Like the AAD destroyed a simulated incoming balistic missile way back in 2012... :hmm:

Compersion

Country flag
Why not later also do a unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) and a drone simulation that would match the future dynamics. Since they are much smaller and have different character and behavior compared to fighter jets.

I was thinking how does the armed forces prepare for defense against drones and UAV. would we be using similar SAM peripherals. It seems for the better use of the term a little expensive and expansive use of a SAM. I am sure there are juicy drones crossing in and out of our borders especially in the north east and paki occupied areas. how are they tracked and are they locked-on. why dont be do some target practice (and a shoot down) in the interest of international law - no one would be harmed but our point(s) would be made. (perhaps we dont want our drones to be targeted explicitly but that's not a justifiable reason)

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

Last edited by a moderator:

praneet.bajpaie

Question to the Gurus in this forum.

I am getting a little confused here about the latest series of tests of the Akash missile. Please explain to me, dear sirs, which tests were successes and which one(s) were failure(s) (if any)?

ladder

Country flag
Question to the Gurus in this forum.

I am getting a little confused here about the latest series of tests of the Akash missile. Please explain to me, dear sirs, which tests were successes and which one(s) were failure(s) (if any)?
Live in the present buddy. ( so much of reporting I am also confused.)

BTW today Akash missile was tested again and it was a success.

Supersonic missile Akash test-fired from Odisha coast
Supersonic missile Akash test-fired from Odisha coast, Odisha Current News, Odisha Latest Headlines

ladder

Country flag
I am asking about the battery of tests that happened in the last couple of tests.
One test of the army version failed ( reason unknown), also there are reports the missile failed to fire from launcher once or twice for IAF version. The only media house reporting it is New Indian Express. Though I am not absolutely sure about it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles