Akash Surface-to-air Missile

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
if akash can be modified to be launched under water for ATV or other subs, some how with radar may be on towed platform, it will take care of any aerial threat to our subs. Including the Pakistani anti subs planes and heli.

SPIEZ

Country flag
if akash can be modified to be launched under water for ATV or other subs, some how with radar may be on towed platform, it will take care of any aerial threat to our subs. Including the Pakistani anti subs planes and heli.
Sir, IMO the nuclear submarines were created to stay hidden, or deeper. It isn't meant to surface, that's why we do not see the US or Russia come up with Submarine launched SAM.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Even I am curious to know what the purpose of a nuke-capable SAM would be. :confused: Can someone enlighten me?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Good idea. Actually IN is looking to induct such missile on P75A which will take out ASW aircrafts. However I doubt if modifying Akash to do that will be easily possible. Completely independent spinoff should surface soon.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Even I am curious to know what the purpose of a nuke-capable SAM would be. :confused: Can someone enlighten me?
IMO even if it misses the target, the blast will do the required damage. Also the EMP generated during a nuclear explosion is enough to blow out the electronics in a aircraft. There was a doc about this somewhere in Discovery.

Defcon 1

Country flag
It means a Surface to Air missile having nuclear warhead. No other thing.
yes, but how can it be used??? is there any practical application for it....i am not trying to disprove anyone but i think the news of akash being nuclear capable is a hoax, why would DRDO waste its energies in a research which has got no particular application......

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
IMO even if it misses the target, the blast will do the required damage. Also the EMP generated during a nuclear explosion is enough to blow out the electronics in a aircraft. There was a doc about this somewhere in Discovery.
Pardon me, but this seems so silly and idiotic to me. :crazy:

Cutting off one's nose to spite the face. Would be "fun" to have such SAMs defending the great cities of India. :tsk:

SPIEZ

Country flag
^^ Check post #325.

I m just thinking out aloud here The Patriot missile shares the same dimension as that of the Akash. However the Patriot gives a range of 240KM with a larger warhead, whereas Akash gives 30km.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Pardon me, but this seems so silly and idiotic to me. :crazy:

Cutting off one's nose to spite the face. Would be "fun" to have such SAMs defending the great cities of India. :tsk:
It didn't seem :crazy: enough to the designers of the missile. The development of the missile started in 1983. So the plans would have been layed in 1970's itself.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Nuclear Akash SAM will destroy alien mothership in the hour of need. While others are sleeping India is already preparing to defeat incoming alien invasion!

Die aliens die! :devil:

Defcon 1

Country flag
It didn't seem :crazy: to the designers of the missile.
i repeat again, the news of Akash being nuclear capable is probably a hoax, SAMs are primarily defensive missiles, means they will strike in our territory itself, who would want the radiation from a nuclear tipped missile...

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
It didn't seem :crazy: enough to the designers of the missile. The development of the missile started in 1983. So the plans would have been layed in 1970's itself.
I would think it far more likely that some clueless reporter has misreported/misquoted stuff (as usual). Or maybe just a typo too. :noidea:

SPIEZ

Country flag
i repeat again, the news of Akash being nuclear capable is probably a hoax, SAMs are primarily defensive missiles, means they will strike in our territory itself, who would want the radiation from a nuclear tipped missile...
I would think it far more likely that some clueless reporter has misreported/misquoted stuff (as usual). Or maybe just a typo too. :noidea:
Man, few years back there were many reports from defense watchers stating that Akash was nuclear capable. Also a report back in 1999 stated that it was one of the nuclear capable missiles.

Galaxy

Country flag
IAF orders another 750 Akash SAMs

Feb 02 2010

The Indian Air Force (IAF) has ordered an additional 750 Akash medium-range surface-to-air missiles (SAMs) from state-run defence behemoth Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) at a cost of Rs.42.79 billion ($925 million), it was announced here Tuesday. The IAF will deploy 125 missiles each in six squadrons as and when BEL delivers them.

IAF orders another 750 Akash SAMs - Thaindian News

^^^^ This is very old news (20 Month old) of 750 Akash Missile order

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles