AKASH-NG ( next generation )

Enquirer

This seeker is being used it seems

View attachment 27797

Wonder what's its name.

Is it based on active radar seeker ( ARSEEK ) or is it ARSEEK or is it a AESA based seeker which was under development ?
The seeker on Akash-NG is same as that of Akash-1S.
It is supposed to be an active radar seeker;also, there're reports that Akash-1S was tested with a thermal seeker ; and then there's speculation that it's a dual seeker.

scatterStorm

Country flag
This seeker is being used it seems

View attachment 27797

Wonder what's its name.

Is it based on active radar seeker ( ARSEEK ) or is it ARSEEK or is it a AESA based seeker which was under development ?
It's an dual form active seeker, combining both thermal aspects and electronic scanning of the designated area or target.

Flame Thrower

It's an dual form active seeker, combining both thermal aspects and electronic scanning of the designated area or target.
What!? How can you identify the thermal without using lenses. Thermal tracking needs a different seeker altogether.

'thermal' part won't be 'active' :)
This is even more confusing.

Are you saying that thermal inputs would be provided by aircraft or another missile(second missile, and the it seeker missile would get inputs from rf seeker!? To prevent jamming issues) with thermal seeker.

Anyone of you, please explain in layman terms and sources would be great

Enquirer

This is even more confusing.

Are you saying that thermal inputs would be provided by aircraft or another missile(second missile, and the it seeker missile would get inputs from rf seeker!? To prevent jamming issues) with thermal seeker.

Anyone of you, please explain in layman terms and sources would be great
Thermal seekers are always 'passive'. The heat (IR radiation) is indeed being provided by the target itself! The thermal seeker searches and locks onto the heat source.
Unlike an RF seeker that 'actively' emits radiation & tries to detect the radiation reflected back from the target!

Flame Thrower

Thermal seekers are always 'passive'. The heat (IR radiation) is indeed being provided by the target itself! The thermal seeker searches and locks onto the heat source.
Unlike an RF seeker that 'actively' emits radiation & tries to detect the radiation reflected back from the target!
Ok, I framed my question in the wrong way.

Missile (till date) have either RF seeker or thermal seeker.
i
How does RF (or any upcoming) seeker can combine both aspects of scanning!?

Enquirer

Akash-NG is basically our indigenous Barak 8, but longer and possibly thicker for more range. The reason why Barak 8ER was scrapped. Don't be fooled by its 50km range claim.
Really? Range is more than Barak 8??
Thought the Ashwin missile (derived from AAD) would be equivalent to Barak ER!

Flame Thrower

Ok, I get it.

I was thinking of using both RF and IR scanning for A2A missiles at the same time.

I remember going through an old(90's I guess) concept of firing two missiles one with Active RF seeker and other with IR seeker, both missiles will be guided close to the Target and their respective tracking systems will share the Target location to each other thus increasing in target hit probability.

What is being discussed is something entirely different.

Enquirer

Ok, I get it.

I was thinking of using both RF and IR scanning for A2A missiles at the same time.

I remember going through an old(90's I guess) concept of firing two missiles one with Active RF seeker and other with IR seeker, both missiles will be guided close to the Target and their respective tracking systems will share the Target location to each other thus increasing in target hit probability.

What is being discussed is something entirely different.
Multiple seekers do home into the target simultaneously

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles