AK-203 Scrap

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Extensive trials were not conducted for AK-203 rifle.
How is it possible that extensive trials were not conducted for AK-203? Come on man, this is Army which we are talking about here. The one who always Conducts Mars and moon trials.:crazy:
Pls visit sig 716 thread a clear discussion and conclusion is drawn there
Yes I know that there is a thread for SiG-716 but I was giving you Examples of SSS rifles chambered for 7.62×39 mm rounds as you had asked for.
@Angel of War
U mean to say we should fulfill our requirements of 7.2 lakh rifles with 7.62×51 caliber Rifle?
Wouldn't that be too expensive?

Angel of War

Country flag
Yes SSS Defence does have rifles chambered for 7.62 x 39 rifles. Some examples are :-
1.P-72 Rapid Engagement Combat Rifle (RECR)
2.P-72 Recon Carbine.
3.P-72 Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR)

Well I am talking about these Reports in the Media.

none of these reports mention any sort of competitive bidding process

Angel of War

Country flag
How is it possible that extensive trials were not conducted for AK-203? Come on man, this is Army which we are talking about here. The one who always Conducts Mars and moon trials.:crazy:

Yes I know that there is a thread for SiG-716 but I was giving you Examples of SSS rifles chambered for 7.62×39 mm rounds as you had asked for.

Wouldn't that be too expensive?
I told you to look up the chandigarh lobby on internet . Do read about it . It exists

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
none of these reports mention any sort of competitive bidding process
I think so that I misinterpreted some Report. Please try and type on the internet "AK-203 India trials". You might be able to find an article.
I told you to look up the chandigarh lobby on internet . Do read about it . It exists
Please send me some links with regards to this whole chandigarh Lobby will you? Thank you in advance!

JBH22

As far as I know, we needed AK-203 TOT mainly because of Metallurgy. And no, I don't think so that this was a decision to only please Putin as far as I am concerned. Our army is in need of Such a rifle, INSAS has proven to be a Failure. It's a must for our Front line troops who are stationed on the Indo-Pak and Sino-Indian Border. Like I said, AK-203 is probably the last AR which we will be buying after which we will have enough TOT to become self reliant in this sector.
Ak 203 is a no chill no thrills rifle, which is to equip our large infantry battalions. The rifle is based on a tried and tested concept, which is appreciated by troops involved in COIN ops. Therefore, I very much agree with your assessment.
People should also factor the demographic profile of our average infantry, we need something that is rugged and works no need to reinvent the wheel.
As per news report, the investment in Sig rifles is not so good, which is surprising to me.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Yup, if you already want to equip 2 rifle companies with 7.62*51mm then you might as well equip the whole unit with it
But 51 ones are battle rifles good for dmr and long range targets with a lot of recoil
But 39 ones have less recoil good for close ranges where mostly battle takes place and more comfortable as it has less recoil

Angel of War

Country flag
But 51 ones are battle rifles good for dmr and long range targets with a lot of recoil
But 39 ones have less recoil good for close ranges where mostly battle takes place and more comfortable as it has less recoil
39 has a lot of drawbacks in modern combat. 51 necessarily dosen't have extreme recoil if you use the correct ammunition for the correct weapon . The drawbacks of 39 has been mentioned alot of times in Infantry modernisation thread .

JBH22

39 has a lot of drawbacks in modern combat. 51 necessarily dosen't have extreme recoil if you use the correct ammunition for the correct weapon . The drawbacks of 39 has been mentioned alot of times in Infantry modernisation thread .
Still in our COIN ops 39 is more than enough to send the ghazi to hoors. Hence, it is a cost effective solution, no need to reorganise logistics for these scum of the earth. In any case, change in cartridge type etc is more of a doctrinal issue, not to be done in 1 go.

Angel of War

Country flag
Still in our COIN ops 39 is more than enough to send the ghazi to hoors. Hence, it is a cost effective solution, no need to reorganise logistics for these scum of the earth. In any case, change in cartridge type etc is more of a doctrinal issue, not to be done in 1 go.
COIN ops is not the army's Main Job ! It never was . It was a role our dear army was forced to take up due to the circumstances of the time due to failure of paramilitary forces in controlling the insurgency . Our job is to fight conventional wars

JBH22

COIN ops is not the army's Main Job ! It never was . It was a role our dear army was forced to take up due to the circumstances of the time due to failure of paramilitary forces in controlling the insurgency . Our job is to fight conventional wars
It never was, even disaster relief is not but then army gets called in to do it.
Fact is primary kinetic operations army has to do is COIN Ops, INSAS did not have the required punch to 72ed this goat fvckers. Hence, Indian army units viz RR units made use of Bulgarian, Romanian and some East Germany AK copies. Now, to equip them and para military, IA made a correct decision instead of reinventing the wheel get one of the latest AK iteration .

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Hell we are not able to choose small arms for the army
Such has come the state of world's 2nd largest army .
Arey for close quarter , why not purchase good carbines?
And equip rest with a single calibre be it 7.62 39 , or 51 ?

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
It never was, even disaster relief is not but then army gets called in to do it.
Fact is primary kinetic operations army has to do is COIN Ops, INSAS did not have the required punch to 72ed this goat fvckers. Hence, Indian army units viz RR units made use of Bulgarian, Romanian and some East Germany AK copies. Now, to equip them and para military, IA made a correct decision instead of reinventing the wheel get one of the latest AK iteration .
Its not latest in any sense .its more than a generation behind

Angel of War

Country flag
what % of army troops are involved im COIN ops ? We need a rifle for wars , not for fighting bhikari hoor lovers

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles