Aircraft Crash Notification

skunk works

Country flag
The amount of hours they put on these is insane. The E4B NIGHTWATCH nuclear command post planes for example are airborne almost constantly and were built in 1974! The VC-25 presidential 747s that came long after and have far fewer hours are already being replaced, but there are no plans to replace the NIGHTWATCH.

Had a rather interesting conversation with a former VC-137/VC-25 crew about aircraft ageing recently; he said the air force 'finds' problems with existing aircraft when they really want to push forward new acquisitions. He said the C141 was retired with fatigue cracking but in reality the planes had life left on them. it was retired to bring the C17 GLOBEMASTER into service.

skunk works

Country flag

The picture is old but this guy is saying it deployed its floatation device. But the dhruvs are pretty crash happy. I wonder if people here will finally admit it. Time for HAL to do a deep introspection on the cause of the problem.
I don't agree. Helicopters in general are crash happy. It has been less than a month since the last US Blackhawk (Tennessee ANG) crash, 2 dead.
I would go on to say the Dhruv is very well designed because I have often heard of people surviving the Dhruv crashes.
It's a testament of design and build quality.

abingdonboy

Country flag
IRDE developed flotation system btw so great to see it working as advertised and all onboard walking away without a scratch

will be interesting to see if she ever flies again, the critical systems (engine and gearbox) don’t look like they’ve been in contact with the water and given that she was pulled out of the water within a few hours the corrosive effects on the airframe shouldn’t have had time to set in.

plausible but maybe they’ll decide it’s not worth it and cannibalise the airframe which would be reasonable too. A shame but hopefully they’ll be able to ascertain exactly what the issue is, at this point the ALHs have proven themselves as highly dependable machines so this is a very unique event.

abingdonboy

Country flag

The picture is old but this guy is saying it deployed its floatation device. But the dhruvs are pretty crash happy. I wonder if people here will finally admit it. Time for HAL to do a deep introspection on the cause of the problem.
Crash happy? How can anyone with half a brain say this?

>350 of the things are in service over at least 20 years, it would be one thing if there was a common fault but there’s no real theme that emerges and as pointed out above, the crash worthiness of the airframe is beyond any doubt, in most airframe losses the occupants are able to walk away practically unharmed, compare this to the Russian helos that are almost always complete fatalities

this is the first ALH the navy has lost and their original ALHs have been flying for over 10 years over the water

not even counting the ICG birds

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
IRDE developed flotation system btw so great to see it working as advertised and all onboard walking away without a scratch

will be interesting to see if she ever flies again, the critical systems (engine and gearbox) don’t look like they’ve been in contact with the water and given that she was pulled out of the water within a few hours the corrosive effects on the airframe shouldn’t have had time to set in.

plausible but maybe they’ll decide it’s not worth it and cannibalise the airframe which would be reasonable too. A shame but hopefully they’ll be able to ascertain exactly what the issue is, at this point the ALHs have proven themselves as highly dependable machines so this is a very unique event.
Most probably it will fly in a few months. OEM will take it back for all the checks and rectification. That's the policy.

Apparently it is a control rod failure. A one off case, not so common. That's why all of the fleet has been put down. They will fly after a mandatory check.

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
When are they grounding the Russian birds?

Let's say, you bought a car and the car started showing a warning light on its dash board. It's normal to stop, check and then drive it to the showroom since it's drive worthy for that time.

A helicopter is the same. A transmission or engine or hydraulic warning light gets illuminated mid sortie, it is a standard procedure to carry out a precautionary landing, rectification and fly it back to base. These issues don't get a fleet down.

indiatester

Country flag
Most probably it will fly in a few months. OEM will take it back for all the checks and rectification. That's the policy.

Apparently it is a control rod failure. A one off case, not so common. That's why all of the fleet has been put down. They will fly after a mandatory check.
Is that the control rod that you mean?
1678867754563.png

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
Moderation Notes: Quoted Post has been deleted. Member given demerit points.

Stop using your mouth like an asshole. Nobody wants to die thinking and flying like a topgun pilot. If you really are concerned, raise your voice against the system. Don't vomit here. Do you know what people go through at a time like this.

You have done the same shit during the mi 17 crash of DCS.
Yet again you are here.

I have called you out that time and you still are the same.
Agar itna hi concern hai toh khud join karke dekh leta airforce ya army mein. May be you are or were in airforce or army, I don't know but come on man, where is your common sense? How can you berate dead guys?

@hit&run how come people like this guy are allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles