Aircraft Crash Notification

Narasimh

Country flag
Oh really? It was the IAF Chief and Senior leadership that called Tejas ''Flying Coffin'' in 2012 and almost killed Tejas and thus the indigenous aerospace development capabilities. It's due to the 56 inch and Manohar Parrikar the things back from the shit hole. Karma is a bitch. Had Tejas been inducted in numbers earlier, IAF wouldn't be flying the 'zero legged flying coffin' now. Even now, they are dragging the feet on Mk2 and lusting after the foreign jet, money and ivy league admissions for their children. The leadership of 'Men in Blue' will be happy to fly Mig21 even in 2035. The maintenance depot, spares and supply ecosystem of Mig21 in IAF base depot is another mammoth money sucking ecosystem and the concerned people want to extend the retirement of these jets as far as possible
I dont think they want to fly the MiGs anymore. They want the latest and greatest from the arms market but govt cant afford large scale orders. Its downright compulsion now due to the nat-sec situation and the result of poor planning and also their not backing the Tejas program enough. At least now after the 83 order there is some hope.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
5 MIG 21's crashed this year killing 3 pilots.In total we have lost more than 500 Mig 21's since induction and around 200 brilliant pilots lost their lives to this dubious aircraft.

Mig 21 will remain the worst aircraft to enter into Indian service having killed more Indians than enemies.
MiG-21s crash because they have overstayed their life-cycle by over 3 decades. Also, all the governments and the IAS are responsible for the murder by constantly creating bottlenecks in military modernization. This is where I envy the more decisive models that are semi-democratic or non-democratic like Singapore. When it comes to defense, they don't fuck around.

MOD should force the IAF to place 20 more orders of Mk2 Tejas and refuse any objection. Unless the IAF is forced (Even if the IAF chief has to resign), so be it.

angryIndian

Country flag
MiG-21s crash because they have overstayed their life-cycle by over 3 decades. Also, all the governments and the IAS are responsible for the murder by constantly creating bottlenecks in military modernization. This is where I envy the more decisive models that are semi-democratic or non-democratic like Singapore. When it comes to defense, they don't fuck around.

MOD should force the IAF to place 20 more orders of Mk2 Tejas and refuse any objection. Unless the IAF is forced (Even if the IAF chief has to resign), so be it.
At this point its not even about MIG 21 crashes but the loss of pilots that is hurting.

We lost 8 pilots just this year alone.Combat pilots are a much bigger asset than a replenishable figther jet.

iNorthernerOn9

Country flag
Hmm... Everyone is talking of the pilots who die in crashes

Let's put an interesting fact: Most of the times Fighter pilots survive the crashes bcoz of Ejection seats... Yeah that's known to everyone

Ejection itself causes slight to debilitating injuries

What's not known? Almost half of those who survive crashes are left unfit for fighter flying due to medical & technical reasons... they are shifted to Transport(<10%) & ground duty branches

What a massive loss of trained manpower... but who cares?

1 more thing... based on parliamentary committee reports... I can say the number of fighter pilots in IAF is not in 4 digits... <1000

The Shrike

Country flag
Please look at the big picture. Compare the authorised squadron strength of IAF and how many squadrons we actually have and and how many active squadrons that need to be replaced. And then calculate how many fighters we need to be buying every year to get to that number in a reasonable period of time (say 15 years). The answer is we to be buying around 2 squadrons every year for 10 years to make up the numbers.
But we are doing half or even less than that every year. 36 Rafales and 83 Tejas Mk1A is at most enough to just stabilising the IAF strength at 30-32 (including obsolete fighters like Mig-21). The new ACM also recently confirmed that fighter strength will not exceed 35 squadrons even by 2030. And thats only fighters, force multipliers like refuellers are a whole other shit show.

Posting a few stories below from the past few years to jog your memory, the defence budget (excluding pensions) was being squeezed year after, even allocating less capital budget than committed expenses for the year. Also withholding payment to HAL for aircraft already delivered (don’t know how much the situation has improved but RM shamelessly handing over HAL LCHs to the Forces with out even paying for it is cringe).

Even coming to Tejas Mk1A, supposedly Manohar Parrikar brain child, they dragged their feet on completing the deal the and signed it only in 2021 (a full 4 years after he stepped down as RM), i.e. after the MKI line shutdown and most of Rafales were delivered and those liabilities were covered. If the pandemic had not happened and HAL had delivered the initial 40 IOC/FOC even slightly faster the line would have come to a halt waiting for orders.

I agree. This glorification of IAF does not make sense when members here are clearly critical of the top brass of IAF that showed ZERO INTEREST in Tejas since the beginning, being addicted to foreign commissions like drugs.

What are you talking about? It was PM Modi Ji and late RM Manohar Parrikar sahab who hammered the IAF into accepting Tejas. Had Congress been re-elected, nothing would have come into India including the 126 jet deal which would have been canceled due to CAG's report.

IAF has been the most corrupt division of the armed forces and needs to be pushed to the hilt to get Mk1As on a war footing. If I were the RM, I would put all nonsensical programs on hold and channel all the money and political capital into speeding up Tejas Mk1A production on a war footing, even if it meant removing certain senior bureaucrats from my office.
To Mr. 56's credit he did get the 36 Rafales and ordered 83 mk1a. Now the swamp that IAF is in is its own making with good amount of contribution from the previous dispensation of the govt.
Any other AF would have grounded its fleet, but we dont have that luxury thanks to the benevolent neighbors. And as for defense budget I think this is the right time to hear this discussion:

Oh really? It was the IAF Chief and Senior leadership that called Tejas ''Flying Coffin'' in 2012 and almost killed Tejas and thus the indigenous aerospace development capabilities. It's due to the 56 inch and Manohar Parrikar the things back from the shit hole. Karma is a bitch. Had Tejas been inducted in numbers earlier, IAF wouldn't be flying the 'zero legged flying coffin' now. Even now, they are dragging the feet on Mk2 and lusting after the foreign jet, money and ivy league admissions for their children. The leadership of 'Men in Blue' will be happy to fly Mig21 even in 2035. The maintenance depot, spares and supply ecosystem of Mig21 in IAF base depot is another mammoth money sucking ecosystem and the concerned people want to extend the retirement of these jets as far as possible

The Shrike

Country flag
Please look at the big picture. Compare the authorised squadron strength of IAF and how many squadrons we actually have and and how many active squadrons that need to be replaced. And then calculate how many fighters we need to be buying every year to get to that number in a reasonable period of time (say 15 years). The answer is we to be buying around 2 squadrons every year for 10 years to make up the numbers.
But we are doing half or even less than that every year. 36 Rafales and 83 Tejas Mk1A is at most enough to just stabilising the IAF strength at 30-32 (including obsolete fighters like Mig-21). The new ACM also recently confirmed that fighter strength will not exceed 35 squadrons even by 2030. And thats only fighters, force multipliers like refuellers are a whole other shit show.

Posting a few stories below from the past few years to jog your memory, the defence budget (excluding pensions) was being squeezed year after, even allocating less capital budget than committed expenses for the year. Also withholding payment to HAL for aircraft already delivered (don’t know how much the situation has improved but RM shamelessly handing over HAL LCHs to the Forces with out even paying for it is cringe).

Even coming to Tejas Mk1A, supposedly Manohar Parrikar brain child, they dragged their feet on completing the deal the and signed it only in 2021 (a full 4 years after he stepped down as RM), i.e. after the MKI line shutdown and most of Rafales were delivered and those liabilities were covered. If the pandemic had not happened and HAL had delivered the initial 40 IOC/FOC even slightly faster the line would have come to a halt waiting for orders.

Added: Defence expenditure (specifically capex in this case) is a golden metric to track, the proverbial "put your money where your mouth is". Indigenous tech can be cheaper in some cases but not always, and building that technology base always takes serious investment over decades (we aren’t doing that either). But please don’t fall for narrative that we can do some bania* scheme where we will get double the stuff for just half the money. You get what you pay for. I wold recommend going through the thread Yousif has put together a couple of years back, which has some of the trending data defence expenditures.
(* apologies not meant as a cast remark but i could not think of a better adjective wile typing this).

vishnugupt

Country flag
As I said many times earlier, Mig-21 is an Asset of united nations AF. Because every time a mig-21 crashes it will give more ground to general Saab to cry for imaginary 114 imported jets.

Sadly, Our military hierarchy doesn't give an f@ck about the pilot's life. At least this reflects into their behavior. Imagine a situation, if IAF would have been successful to sabotage Tejas Mk1a or Had Shri Manohar Parikar, not been a defense minister, we will have to operate Mig-21 till they all were crashed.

Nobody will question about poor maintenance of mig-21 by IAF or if the Mig-21 condition is so poor then who gives fitness to fly for these jets?

Every chief in the United armed forces comes with two jobs only..... Import and oppose the theaterization

Sorry for the pilot, condolences for his family. Om Shanti

Last edited:

daya

Country flag
Saar ji... ek aur cadre restructure hone do... cadre restructure ka sabse jyada fayda kise hota hai? kya ye jaruri hai? kitna? jara deeply sochiye aur dekhiye ki cadre restructure me officers, specially bade officers ka bada fayda hota hai, har 4 saal me naya grade... to wo jyada jaruri hai ki MIG-21 ka replacement.. jo budget allot hota hai aakhir allocation to usme se hi hona hai..

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Mods, is there an open letter we can send to the Minister of Defence for this? I know it means nothing but can we, using all the knowledge posted here, write a letter with the signatures of at least all of our members here, send to him so that he knows that there are civilians who are concerned about the forces and are a vote bank?

Narasimh

Country flag

Firstly the 42 squadron was arrived at long back and has not been revised. Not included the tech upgrade or the force multipliers in that equation either. I don't know if the revised numbers are going to go up or to go down now but just putting it out there that it was done quite a while ago and needs to be revised.
Next, it's quite clear the def budget will not be increased significantly due to many reasons not withstanding just the guns or butter debate for any political dispensation i.e. And Hal which is basically govt owned selling to iaf which again is govt has accountability issues. Hal is not blame free, it did not do due diligence in capacity building for Tejas well in advance and did not think through the ground support equipment required. And clearing of dues is not such a debilitating factor for it.. money is staying in govts pockets after all.
So it's poor planning on IAF's part, inaction on govt's part since 2004 to 2014 the lost decade and Hal's and Ada's mismanagement all contributing to the failure of mig replacements.

Brood Father

Country flag
Mods, is there an open letter we can send to the Minister of Defence for this? I know it means nothing but can we, using all the knowledge posted here, write a letter with the signatures of at least all of our members here, send to him so that he knows that there are civilians who are concerned about the forces and are a vote bank?
We should do it in mass ..Atleast send them the email ..This is a national shame ..No accountability is making it worse
In ideal world UNAF chief should retire and the reigns should be passed on to capable leader who supports indigenous product ..

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
We should do it in mass ..Atleast send them the email ..This is a national shame ..No accountability is making it worse
In ideal world UNAF chief should retire and the reigns should be passed on to capable leader who supports indigenous product ..
Well, let's see how the new ACM is. But we should write to both of them. Anyone want to initiate the letter here? How and what's the contacting process?

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@Tshering22 What’s the point in replacing a 50 year old mig 21 with a 45 year old F16 ?
Why was F16 even considered for MMRCA ?
F16 just like Mig21 is an old aircraft upgraded (to make it usable) and it keeps crashing just like the mig21
If mig21 is outdated then it should be replaced with some modern aircraft not some aircraft which took it’s first flight 45-50 years ago
F16 took it’s first flight in 1974
And Indian Airforce rejected F16 in 2008 MMRCA calling it obsolete

Last edited:

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Banned
I know that i am replying late with regards to this topic but I will still post though.

Its good that Martin Baker had confirmed officially that it was a JF 17 B Aircraft. Otherwise these Pakistanis would have been still staying in denial. Anyways I know for sure that Pakistan Airforce is underreporting these crashes.

I wonder how many JF 17 ,F-16 ,Mirage of Pak Fizaya have Actually crashed and they have hidden.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles