Air Force Mi-17 crashes in Tawang, 12 killed

pmaitra

Air Force Mi-17 crashes in Tawang, 12 killed

Fri, Nov 19 05:25 PM

Tawang (Arunachal Pradesh), Nov 19 (ANI): Twelve people were killed on Friday when an Indian Air Force Mi-17 helicopter crashed after an explosion on board near Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh.

According to a defence official, the helicopter had eleven Air Force personnel, including the crew, and a Army officer on board.

"It had taken off from Tawang for Guwahati, and crashed about five minutes later at a place called Bomdir," the official said.

All bodies have been recovered.

A court of inquiry has been ordered into the incident. (ANI)

Source: http://in.news.yahoo.com/139/20101119/808/tnl-air-force-mi-17-crashes-in-tawang-12.html

pmaitra

Lt Col among 12 killed in crash

MODs, this is a double post by accident. Kindly delete. Thanks!

Last edited:

pmaitra

Samudra Gupta Kashyap
Tags : Indian Air Force (IAF), MI-17 helicopter
Posted: Sat Nov 20 2010, 02:18 hrs
Guwahati:

Twelve persons were killed when an MI-17 helicopter of the Indian Air Force (IAF) crashed at Bomdir in Tawang district of western Arunachal Pradesh close to the India-China border around noon on Friday. The dead include a Lieutenant Colonel of the Indian Army and 11 IAF personnel.

Indian Air Force (Eastern Command) spokesperson Wing Commander Ranjeev Sahoo said the Guwahati-bound MI-17 chopper crashed minutes after it had taken off from the helipad at the brigade headquarters in Tawang at 12:04 pm. The victims included a Lieutenant Colonel of the Indian Army (Engineers), two Flight Lieutenants and nine other crew members of the IAF. All the bodies were recovered within four hours of the crash, shifted to the brigade headquarters, and identified.

Sources in Tawang quoting eye-witnesses said people heard a loud sound in the sky, following which the helicopter caught fire and went down into a gorge. Tawang is around 3,500 metres above sea level. This is the second major air crash in Tawang and fourth in the state in recent times. On November 14, 1997, a four-seater Cheetah with then union minister of state for Defence NVN Somu, Major General Ramesh Nagpal and two Majors (both pilots) on board crashed around 40 kms northeast of Tawang, killing all the four occupants.

In June last year, 14 army personnel were killed when an AN-32 aircraft crashed after it took off from Mechuka in West Siang district in Arunachal Pradesh.

In May 2001, then education minister of Arunachal Pradesh Dera Natung and six others were killed in a Pawan Hans helicopter crash near Sessa in West Kameng district.

Source: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Lt-Col-among-12-killed-in-crash/713607

More news:
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article896324.ece
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ashes-after-explosion/articleshow/6953859.cms

IAF_291236f_Mi17_crash.jpg

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Rest In Peace....

neo29

Second crash in the same area, something fishy for sure.

pmaitra

It's a good thing to be suspicious. Tawang is a hot cake for PRC, is close to the border, has seen recent incursion attempts by PRC forces and a likely target in the event of India-PRC hostilities.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Not only India, this has been the worst week ever for global military aviation.

Israeli F-16 crash, Russian MiG-31 crash, American F-22 crash, Canadian CF-18 crash...

I am suspecting alien intervention/ end of world, maybe Mayans were right after all :emot158:

Neil

Country flag
R.I.P to great souls....may god bless them and their families for such a sacrifice....!!

death.by.chocolate

Professional
Country flag
Not only India, this has been the worst week ever for global military aviation.

Israeli F-16 crash, Russian MiG-31 crash, American F-22 crash, Canadian CF-18 crash...

I am suspecting alien intervention/ end of world, maybe Mayans were right after all :emot158:
That's terrible news, I pray for strength and courage for friends and family of the dearly departed.

natarajan

any possibility of china taking them down like north korea sinking south korea ship

ahmedsid

Top Gun
You guys are paranoid for bringing up such Conspiracy Theories about shooting down and all without any proof or any damn shyt! Please dont make this a Conspiracy Forum, degrading the Quality! We are a serious Forum, and lets keep it that way!

Crashes do happen, lets not see a Conspiracy into everything! God Speed

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
You guys are paranoid for bringing up such Conspiracy Theories about shooting down and all without any proof or any damn shyt! Please dont make this a Conspiracy Forum, degrading the Quality! We are a serious Forum, and lets keep it that way!

Crashes do happen, lets not see a Conspiracy into everything! God Speed
That was my opinion where I gave two sides with why and why not, you are a mod, you have a right to delete posts, but calling something "Awesomely Useless Rant of a Post", just shows you don't want to listen to something you don't want to, this a Public Forum not GOI's foreign policy website, but if you want to convert it into something like that, your wish!!

ahmedsid

Top Gun
That was my opinion where I gave two sides with why and why not, you are a mod, you have a right to delete posts, but calling something "Awesomely Useless Rant of a Post", just shows you don't want to listen to something you don't want to, this a Public Forum not GOI's foreign policy website, but if you want to convert it into something like that, your wish!!
You brought in bizzare theories of Assasinations, and Scams and Nehru and Gandhi and Congress and what not! Does any of it hold water? If it does, put some relevant sources up!

This is not the Thread to discuss commonwealth scam or 2G scam or anything of that sort! What does Scams have anything to do with a Helicopter crashing? I dont see a connection, Do you? If so, Post relevant Sources, AGAIN!

I am not the one giving it a Political Tint, Your Post makes it obvious of your Political Intentions of abusing just a particular political entity! Now who is biased? Me, Or YOU?

The role entrusted to me, is to make sure the discussions stay on topic and dont turn silly, like yours did! If you have a problem, PM the Staff member concerned. God Speed

maomao

Country flag

You brought in bizzare theories of Assasinations, and Scams and Nehru and Gandhi and Congress and what not! Does any of it hold water? If it does, put some relevant sources up!

This is not the Thread to discuss commonwealth scam or 2G scam or anything of that sort! What does Scams have anything to do with a Helicopter crashing? I dont see a connection, Do you? If so, Post relevant Sources, AGAIN!

I am not the one giving it a Political Tint, Your Post makes it obvious of your Political Intentions of abusing just a particular political entity! Now who is biased? Me, Or YOU?

The role entrusted to me, is to make sure the discussions stay on topic and dont turn silly, like yours did! If you have a problem, PM the Staff member concerned. God Speed
Do you want me to put forward proof of nehru and his disastrous foreign policy again, which lead to 1962 disaster!! I can very well do that, if you want?

I had made an assertion that GOI is scared to admit that there is an actual threat and I had asked what are they afraid of? Are they afraid of getting assassinated? What is wrong in asking that, as they look shyt scared to even admitting things went really wrong recently in NE, I know because I was there, and saw it with my own eyes the reality in Sikkim. I am sure if that was the case in Sikkim, the reality in AP (Tawang) would have been 10 times worse!

I had said clearly, CCP would never allow shooting down of any of our a/c's, atleast not before Wen's visit, however, PLA can very well do things which pleases them, keeping CCP out of the loop to derail the talks; whats wrong in stating your opinion, do I need to give source for everything I say? Is everyone on the forum giving sources to back their opinions with every post they submit?

Whats wrong in stating when the GOI is busy with scams and scamsters, due to which foreign policy goes on a back burner; whats so "Bizarre" in stating that? Don't be naive in understanding this simple fact, and ask for sources to prove what present GOI is busy doing and why they would ignore any serious new development on the border and state it as nothing but media exaggerations? What source do you require for this simple logic?

Why shouldn't I blame UPA, congress and others who are professing power at the center for causing this mess? Why would you want me to bring in some other party, when they have no say in present governments' decisions and policies? Who is Biased?

It will be foolish for me to Blame NDA or BJP for the debacle and disasters of Nehru's foreign policy (lol), furthermore, blaming them for the current crisis is beyond any debate. If the current crisis is being mismanaged and hog-washed by present GOI, whom should I blame according to you- BJP/NDA? Would it sound sane to blame people not in power? If you want me to blame NDA/BJP for not handling recent crises in a sane manner, due which there was loss of life and property during recent Chinese adventure in NE, then you are gravely out of track and you are not making sense at all, the onus lies with the current govt. and not with anyone else. Whom should I blame? Political entities not in power?

Last edited by a moderator:

badguy2000

Respected Member
it is widely reported that the bird was in fact shoot down by CHinese Fagaiwei, Chinese most secret weapons developer.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Maomao, Tell me an Instance where the PLA declared war, or covert operations against India without the consent of the CCP? You have confused China with Pakistan. You are confusing Kargil like scenario! China, at this juncture of Economic progress will never shoot down a helicopter! Helicopters have gone down on previous occassion too, and an investigation will tell the true story.

When news of Su30MKIs being stationed nearby to the borders and new air fields being rebuilt and operated, I dont know why you are saying that GOI is sitting still! Our Country is slow, and its inherent due to the nature of our Governance. The Development of Infrastruture is taking place. Our Army Chief has told that a 62 like scenario can never happen! This is not 1962 my dear friend. We are not fresh off the Non Violence Oven! We have fought many a war between this time frame! Our Army top brass has reiterated that the situation with China is not alarming and its very much normal. Are they lying?

Dont bring in the Scams, and blame just one political entity for it. Our Political System, be it by the BJP or the Congress has been running through many scams whenever they are in power. Politicians are of such a breed that they wont mind making a Profit over the Coffins for our fallen Braves! So lets not go there.

I never told you to blame NDA, You accused me of being GOI mouthpiece and I returned the compliment. I never give anything a Political Tint, you did and Now you are crying on that!

Lastly, Do not use the Red Color. Its reserved for Mod Actions and Info. God Speed

Last edited:

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
it is widely reported that the bird was in fact shoot down by CHinese Fagaiwei, Chinese most secret weapons developer.
Can be a possiblity too. I've also read reports thats for past 6 decades china has perfected such a secret weapon by testing it by shooting down its own various military and civilian planes which otherwise were reported as accident crash just to maintain the top most serecy of its secret weapon.=heheh

maomao

Country flag
Maomao, Tell me an Instance where the PLA declared war, or covert operations against India without the consent of the CCP? You have confused China with Pakistan. You are confusing Kargil like scenario! China, at this juncture of Economic progress will never shoot down a helicopter! Helicopters have gone down on previous occassion too, and an investigation will tell the true story.

When news of Su30MKIs being stationed nearby to the borders and new air fields being rebuilt and operated, I dont know why you are saying that GOI is sitting still! Our Country is slow, and its inherent due to the nature of our Governance. The Development of Infrastruture is taking place. Our Army Chief has told that a 62 like scenario can never happen! This is not 1962 my dear friend. We are not fresh off the Non Violence Oven! We have fought many a war between this time frame!

I never told you to blame NDA, You accused me of being GOI mouthpiece and I returned the compliment. I never give anything a Political Tint, you did and Now you are crying on that!

Lastly, Do not use the Red Color. Its reserved for Mod Actions and Info. God Speed
Firstly, I would like to state that I am not confusing China with pakistan, even a kid won't do that. What I had suggested was that there are differences between PLA and CCP as suggested in many articles, so in my opinion one is evidently aggressive and other seems not, in regards to China's neighbors! This could be a ploy to confuse outsiders or could be true, who knows?

I would like to mention again about what I saw in Sikkim, it may not have been as heightened as Kargil, however, looking back at what I saw in trucks returning from forward posts and comparing those incidents with news reports being aired by television media convinced me it was a major cover-up by GOI for obvious reasons, which I had mentioned in my last post. I am a witness to this incident with many local Sikkimese, and I can't imagine what would have happened in Tawang, so please don't tell me that no Bullet is being fired on Indo-China border!

This may not be 1962, however the current GOI is walking the same road which nehru walked i.e pleasing others, foolishly undermining security forces (demoralizing them to the core for securing power), making loud noises; and when all hell broke loose, running to US for bailing him out.

What can SU-30MKI do on the border, if they never fly? Using A/Cs would mean full-fledged war with China, which this GOI is damn scared of. These scare tactics work with pakistan not China!

Yes, you never told me to blame NDA, however, you clearly mentioned I was accusing a particular political group, so I created an analogy to show how stupid it will sound not to blame GOI and its constituents, but/instead NDA!!

I never knew red color was reserved for MODs, I will use some other color next time (you may remove the option).

----------

Profit over the Coffins for our fallen Braves
Hang the person involved!! Why this GOI is silent on some scam like this , the reasons are obvious!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles